Sponsored

Hardtop Removal/Storage for Garage (see pics)

DST75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Just got a 2019 JLU hard top. I have looked through literally thousands of posts from people saying they made their own hoist to I paid 900 dollars for a top lift pro. Here’s my issue. My ceiling is not flat at all. There’s a nice little area to hoist it up into but all of the hoists I’ve seen assume that you’ve got a flat ceiling and then the rope runs down the wall to the crank. I’ve got a Lange Hoist A Top sitting here still in the box because I don’t see a way to install it without adding more pulleys to go around the bump outs and then I don’t think it would function properly. What solutions do I have to install some type of hoist in this cutout area for removal and storage of the hard top? Thank you in advance all.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hardtop Removal/Storage for Garage (see pics) 4FC5CDF9-CF65-4F27-9B7C-9992B21D8525
Jeep Wrangler JL Hardtop Removal/Storage for Garage (see pics) 7BDCC16F-53F2-4189-A283-B8503960079C
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I have the Lange hoist/cart. Works great, stores the top at ground level rather than hanging up. Has lugs for holding two doors as well. Quality piece, easy to roll around loaded.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have a similar issue. Weird ceiling with different heights and ducts overhead (it's under an apartment), plus it's a rental and I'm not supposed to mount stuff anyway. And I live in earthquake country and didn't want the hardtop hanging.

I opted for the Lange cart. Stores it close to the ground and can be rolled around. The ability to hold both the top & doors was a big selling point, too. And considerably less expensive than the Top Lift.

It was on backorder for a few months, but it finally showed up a little bit ago. I'm assembling it this week and going to take the top off for next weekend.

Sponsored

Wapiti

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If all you want to do is to pull it straight up and down, you could go with something like this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-60346.html
...or even a manual chain hoist. The power cord and controller will likely touch the hardtop, but it doesn't affect the balance too much with my homemade 4 pt. jig (I use the Topsy hinge bracket thingys). As I recall, using a 3 pt jig with my JKU wasn't too sketchy, but I was only going up a few inches. In my case, I have the hoist mounted to some barn door track so I can slide everything to the side of my garage; there's no reason you couldn't just mount the hoist in a fixed position.

Espyr

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe High Altitude
I have the Lange hoist/cart. Works great, stores the top at ground level rather than hanging up. Has lugs for holding two doors as well. Quality piece, easy to roll around loaded.
I had a JKU and recently just got the 4xe, so new to the JL world. I didn't have this issue with my JK top, but when I lower my JL top to the ground and then go to lean it up into the storage position, my back window always seems to want to open and I have to contort myself to hold the top and hold the window closed until I can get it leaned back enough that the window won't open. Do you have this issue?

Secondly, the rear window bracket doesn't want to fit between the window and the top itself, I have to take it off and slide just the strap down and attach it to the bracket. Is it just me, or is that just how it's designed for the JL?

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I had a JKU and recently just got the 4xe, so new to the JL world. I didn't have this issue with my JK top, but when I lower my JL top to the ground and then go to lean it up into the storage position, my back window always seems to want to open and I have to contort myself to hold the top and hold the window closed until I can get it leaned back enough that the window won't open. Do you have this issue?

Secondly, the rear window bracket doesn't want to fit between the window and the top itself, I have to take it off and slide just the strap down and attach it to the bracket. Is it just me, or is that just how it's designed for the JL?
Mine is a 2 door, not sure that it matters but I didn't have any issues with the rear window. It stayed closed through the whole lowering process.

The rear bracket I had to remove from the strap and feed up from the bottom. I fear I would have broken the glass trying to get in through from the top. There is a different rear bracket for the JL from the JK, I wonder if that is the problem you are having. The JL requires the one that is about 6 inches wide. The one for the JK is more like an inch or inch and a half wide.

Espyr

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe High Altitude
The rear bracket I had to remove from the strap and feed up from the bottom. I fear I would have broken the glass trying to get in through from the top. There is a different rear bracket for the JL from the JK, I wonder if that is the problem you are having. The JL requires the one that is about 6 inches wide. The one for the JK is more like an inch or inch and a half wide.
Yeah, that's what I've been having to do. I felt the same way the first time I tried sliding it through from the top.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
What solutions do I have to install some type of hoist in this cutout area for removal and storage of the hard top? Thank you in advance all.
I'm sorry I don't have any. But either the Top Lift Pro or Freedom Jack provide ability to store the back of the hardtop above the hood of a vehicle front facing in a garage.

Your garage will need to be a few inches longer than the JL if you want to go this route and get the garage door closed.

https://topliftpros.com/

https://www.freedom-jack.com/

Sponsored

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
The RACOR Lift doesn't need a rope ran down the wall, just vertical access for the hand crank. I have mine right up against the back wall so just enough space to reach behind the HT window when suspended to raise & lower.

Could be an option depending on your measurements. Obviously if you need it in a spot that isn't a 48"x48" flat then the idea is out!

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just got a 2019 JLU hard top. I have looked through literally thousands of posts from people saying they made their own hoist to I paid 900 dollars for a top lift pro. Here’s my issue. My ceiling is not flat at all. There’s a nice little area to hoist it up into but all of the hoists I’ve seen assume that you’ve got a flat ceiling and then the rope runs down the wall to the crank. I’ve got a Lange Hoist A Top sitting here still in the box because I don’t see a way to install it without adding more pulleys to go around the bump outs and then I don’t think it would function properly. What solutions do I have to install some type of hoist in this cutout area for removal and storage of the hard top? Thank you in advance all.
4FC5CDF9-CF65-4F27-9B7C-9992B21D8525.jpeg
7BDCC16F-53F2-4189-A283-B8503960079C.jpeg
If you don't mind spending the money get the TLP. One and done. Might look at the RollinJack it's a little less price.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hardtop Removal/Storage for Garage (see pics) TPL

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance

My back window always wants to open up too, that’s why the first step in removing the top is to just put a few strips of painters tape from D-pillar to D-pillar holding the window shut.
Sponsored