First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Last spring, I installed a manual hoist on my garage ceiling for hardtop removal/storage. This makes it easy for one person to remove/install the hard top. Also, it is a nice way to store the roof out of the way.

I know many Jeepers like to go topless. I thought I would too. And I do. But to me there is no perceived difference driving topless vs. driving with the roof on and freedom panels out. I thought driving with the roof off would be a whole new driving experience. However, I could not tell the difference between driving with the roof off vs. roof on and freedom panels removed, unless I looked in the rearview mirror. Or rotate my head 180°, which hurts.

With just the freedom panels removed I have the same open air feeling, same view, same sunlight, same breeze, etc., as I do with the entire roof off. As a result, I tend to leave the hardtop on and just remove the freedom panels.

Maybe it's just me?
Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Depends on if the kids are in the back seat or not for me. I routinely drive with the soft top in the sun rider position when it’s just me. When the kids are in the back it’s all the way down as they love it.

The gladiator will normally just have the panels removed on the hard top as it’s not worth the hassle to remove car seats to pull the hard top for a day or two.

jmarrr

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
It's a little brighter with the top off, but I feel the same. It only seems worth it if you have folks in the back.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I agree. If you aren’t taking the doors off, there isn’t much difference as the driver if you have just the panels off or the whole top.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Topless = less wind buffeting
Hardtop on + Freedom Panels off = more wind buffeting

That said... I really like my Sunrider for Hardtop

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Even tho this will be my 2nd Wrangler I haven't been in one with anything but the Freedom panels removed.

Looking forward to forming my opinion on the different configurations.

My gut says full naked isn't going to be nearly as great as I imagine it. In fact, little by little my Wrangler owning friends are letting the car out of the bag, so to speak.
"Man its hot today"

"Have you noticed how Maine reeks in the summer (Mexican, Chinese and Italian restaurants abound along that street)

"That sun is brutal"

"Guys I gotta go its gonna rain"

That said, I've always concluded the full naked thing is for passengers and other drivers.

SilentBanshee424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S, 2004 Moto Guzzi 750
Topless = less wind buffeting
Hardtop on + Freedom Panels off = more wind buffeting

That said... I really like my Sunrider for Hardtop

I rode in my friend's Gladiator with the freedom panels off and it sold me on getting a Jeep. I got a 2 door and took the panels off and the wind buffeting is SO MUCH WORSE than the Gladiator. I thought I was just being dumb but after many times riding in each I think it's literally just the rear windows being open. Wish the 2 door top had the sliding rear windows like the old scrambler's had. Oh well. Still fun!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
We had the hard top on for all of 2 months this winter. Swapped back to soft as soon as we could.

The windows haven't been back in since, the topless (or soft top stowed) is a completely different experience to me.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Mine came with a hard top...a month later I sold the hard top and went full-time soft top. Hated having to hoist the hard top off every time and also worrying about rain. I enjoy the experience of being completely topless and also being able to put the top up quickly in case it starts to rain. I also have a Spiderweb Shade on full time to cut down on the full heat of the sun. As they say...to each his own but I love driving topless.

Sponsored

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Though I do seem to perceive a larger difference than OP b/w full top off vs. front only, the real game changer is doors. The first few rides w/ those off is like a roller coaster. I don't think I can own a full-time door vehicle going forward...

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Totally agree. Biggest difference is the backdraft which anyone can do without. From the front seats, the experience is the same, hence why I chose to go with a bestop sunrider for hardtop.

I also agree that the real deal is doors off, not necessarily top off.

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
Freedom Panels off & Back Window up = No Buffering.

Freedom Panels off & Doors off & Back Window up = More Fun & No Buffering.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Neither. I have a hard top and I'm still debating if I want to go back to a soft top. Only two benefits to the hard top "for me"

1. The Back Window has a strut to stay open when loading something.
2. Defrost option to clear the rear window

I do live in CA and could drive with the soft top down 98% of the year. If I lived somewhere with snowy winters or a lot of rain. I would have a different opinion.
Sponsored