Sponsored

Hardtop leaking in the car wash

LibertasJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ (former), JL (current)
Brand new Jeep JL Sport S. Had it three days. Haven't event tried to remove the hard top panels yet. First rain last night. Drove my daughter to school. First left turn I made dumped about 12 oz of water down her back (front passenger seat). Totally unacceptable.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Brand new Jeep JL Sport S. Had it three days. Haven't event tried to remove the hard top panels yet. First rain last night. Drove my daughter to school. First left turn I made dumped about 12 oz of water down her back (front passenger seat). Totally unacceptable.
@LibertasJeep Was the JL's passenger window open or partially open when the "12 oz" of rain came in this morning? If so, that was rain that was up in the gutter from last night's rain. Gutter system on the JL will allow rain to build up there, and then dump in like that when you open door or drive around a turn with a front window open.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
@LibertasJeep Was the JL's passenger window open or partially open when the "12 oz" of rain came in this morning? If so, that was rain that was up in the gutter from last night's rain. Gutter system on the JL will allow rain to build up there, and then dump in like that when you open door or drive around a turn with a front window open.
I second that emotion.
The gutter system isn't the greatest on the JL. We had heavy rains and the Jeep was slightly tipped towards the driver's side. I opened the door and woosh... a wet shirt, crotch and door jam.

If this wasn't the case for you I recommend taking the panels off (always driver's side first), check out the gaskets and then put them back on. Could be they weren't properly seated at the factory. It literally takes 30 seconds to pop the panels. Good luck.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@mgroeger
@LibertasJeep

If raining, I always, if possible park the JL in a spot that has an incline. I found that doing this prevents the pooling of water in the hard top gutters and thus no wet crotch or wet family members..

LibertasJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope. It was pouring outside. Jeep was in the garage. Perfectly dry. Got in and closed the doors. Exited garage into pouring rain. At end of the street made a right turn into traffic. 12 oz of water dumped down my daughter's back and right shoulder. Door was completely closed (I checked) and window was all the way closed. Inexcusable. Once things dry out, I'll try removing the panels and checking the seals. I can't believe I have to do this on a brand new car. Don't they do any QC at the factory? (As an aside, yesterday I discovered the source of smoking from the rear end after driving for a bit - a charred sticker still half-way stuck to the bottom of the muffler.)

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
12 oz of water dumped down my daughter's back and right shoulder.
I can't believe I have to do this on a brand new car.
Very sorry to hear this happened to your daughter .

Believe it and do it ; it's a Jeep .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If raining, I always, if possible park the JL in a spot that has an incline. I found that doing this prevents the pooling of water in the hard top gutters and thus no wet crotch or wet family members..
If raining , always park the front or rear wheels on a high curb , a stack of cinder blocks , or a log , so water will run off the roof . Then take a long water pushing squeegee and pull it down along and across the roof before opening the door .

LibertasJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If raining , always park the front or rear wheels on a high curb , a stack of cinder blocks , or a log , so water will run off the roof . Then take a long water pushing squeegee and pull it down along and across the roof before opening the door .
Ha. That's funny. I have owned several Wranglers before and many many convertibles. None (other than my '97 BMW Z3) ever leaked a single drop. My TJ with hardtop doesn't leak one bit and it has 170,000 miles on it.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Ha. That's funny. I have owned several Wranglers before and many many convertibles. None (other than my '97 BMW Z3) ever leaked a single drop. My TJ with hardtop doesn't leak one bit and it has 170,000 miles on it.
That's because the TJ was a real Jeep , not a JL mall wagon .
Sponsored