Hardtop creaking

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I believe my hartop is creaking where the 3 rear bolts (on each side) connect to the body. I know there are lots of older posts on this but they seem to divert to the glass tailgate weather seal - which I seem to have fixed. Can anyone point me to a hardtop “fix” they have used that has actually worked? Im thinking 3M anti sound tape in between the top and body but I have no clue. Any advice appreciated!
Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
I read on here some time ago that if you use dawn liquid soap on the rear tailgate seals it stops the creaking sounds. I’ve have confirmed this before. You don’t need much, just coat the rubber seal lightly.

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I read on here some time ago that if you use dawn liquid soap on the rear tailgate seals it stops the creaking sounds. I’ve have confirmed this before. You don’t need much, just coat the rubber seal lightly.
I know! This is my point with historical posts - DONT divert this to the rear glass weather seal! That is fine for me after using seal lubricant! ;)

I am specifically geting a creaking form where the hardtop screws and sits to the body.

i promise - I made my wife drive me around while I sat in the cargo area!

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Take the top off.
Creaking sound gone.
Problem solved.

Seriously though, I don’t know what to tell you. I know that personally I found it hard to believe that my creaking sounds were the real seal, I tried the lube and it worked for me. Sounds are gone. They’ll creep back and I wipe the seal down and re-lube. Try the 3M tape idea, if I remember correctly, I think my top has a rubber piece all along the bottom where it meets the Jeep? I’m too lazy to go look right now.
Good luck

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Take the top off.
Creaking sound gone.
Problem solved.

Seriously though, I don’t know what to tell you. I know that personally I found it hard to believe that my creaking sounds were the real seal, I tried the lube and it worked for me. Sounds are gone. They’ll creep back and I wipe the seal down and re-lube. Try the 3M tape idea, if I remember correctly, I think my top has a rubber piece all along the bottom where it meets the Jeep? I’m too lazy to go look right now.
Good luck
Trust me I know about the rubber seal. I fixed that - it was creaking badly before. Then it was still there so I literally sat back there while wife drove around and put my ear next to everything. Its definetly the hardtop - towards the rear of it where it bolts down. If there is a seal between then I could lube that - anyone know if there is a seal?

Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, I was all cuddled up in my bed and you made me get up and take this pic. There is a rubber foam type seal on mine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hardtop creaking FB37F432-C406-4C3B-BC5D-DD564F0B3A68

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR