Hardtop Cart / Holder DIY

brunoblake

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara
Finally invested the time this weekend to build the dolly - the instructions were dead-on and ended up using some spare 2x4s so my out-of-pocket was literally $25 for the casters. Thanks very much for posting this, I feel better having the top vertical instead of hanging via hoist in the garage.

IMG_6758.JPG

IMG_6759.JPG
Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Built mine this morning, used scrap wood, padded the places where the top sits with foam flooring then carpeted

C1A1927C-7573-4C9A-BEED-BA8DF9ABC0F8.jpeg

BCEBDF07-0407-426E-8140-3A07C9C93B31.jpeg

5437D6E5-00CA-47E8-AE01-484B1FEC3D4A.jpeg

crazydive

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 Door
WOW! You guys saved me a lot of engineering and planning. I like how simple and esthetic this is.

Question: will this cart (all the measurements) be good for the 2 door version top, so the top will be in nice straight position? I know, logically it should but maybe one of you already checked that. I just want to avoid doing it twice if it doesn't sit straight and is leaning toward one side and have tendency to fall.

Thanks
Pete

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
WOW! You guys saved me a lot of engineering and planning. I like how simple and esthetic this is.

Question: will this cart (all the measurements) be good for the 2 door version top, so the top will be in nice straight position? I know, logically it should but maybe one of you already checked that. I just want to avoid doing it twice if it doesn't sit straight and is leaning toward one side and have tendency to fall.

Thanks
Pete
I do not believe there is any difference that you would need to be concerned with. Worst case you can adjust the front board forward or backwards to stabilize. GL and let us know how it goes!!

18RubiJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z06, JLUR
I'll be building this dolly setup tomorrow. I wanted to do electric hoist setup but my garage ceiling is too high to get that done.

Sponsored

18RubiJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z06, JLUR
Finished it today. I did ran into issue with wiper clearing the 1x2 strip. Moved the strip backwards about 2 inches and it worked perfectly. I already had the lumber from another project so costed me ~$15 for 2 yards of fabric and 4 2" casters from Walmart.

IMG_9004.JPG

IMG_9006.JPG

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
noticed one of my wheels is lifted. will the hardtop flatten it out? want to make sure the top doesn’t warp or damage over it sitting there for 6 months

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
noticed one of my wheels is lifted. will the hardtop flatten it out? want to make sure the top doesn’t warp or damage over it sitting there for 6 months
Probably just warped wood. If you get the hard top on it and it does not flatten out you might want to be concerned but with the weight of the hardtop I do not think you will have any issues. My hard top sits on my rack for ~8 months a year and it has been fine. Perks of living in Texas is the amply softtop season :)

ayoung

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL 3.6L 6MT
Occupation
US Navy

Thanks
Pete
I just made my cart yesterday and it works perfect for my 2 door top. Thanks @Texas_Yote for sharing your cart build.

MTN1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl Sport S
Thanks for a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated.
Where does the rear spoiler sit exactly ?
On top of the 15” blocks or inside them to hold the top and keep it in an angle and
underbpressure on the lower edge?
Thanks
thanks looks great, I was going to hang from garage but heard that it is not good for the top, just received the soft top, so I have projects for the weekend, thanks again!

Sponsored

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i noticed the 1x2 bends under the weight of the glass door. when you look under need you can see the wood and window bow slightly. did you guys fix this or put something like a jack under? have to believe if it sits bending for 6 months it’ll warp something t

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
i noticed the 1x2 bends under the weight of the glass door. when you look under need you can see the wood and window bow slightly. did you guys fix this or put something like a jack under? have to believe if it sits bending for 6 months it’ll warp something t
I have had mine off and one over the past few years, I haven't noticed it. you can always run a bit of a bigger board; but personally I haven't had any issues like that. Another way to help would be to latch the window closed with clamps on the glass and the hard top.

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i used some scissor jacks to add strength. i don’t think the 1x2 in general can deal firmly with the weight of the JL hardtop glass. i only saw as i looked underneath and saw the beam bowing. just a note for any new builders

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Thanks for all the info here! I built the door cart with about 7" of spacing between the uprights and this seems to be a good fit for the front doors where the door handle is outside of the uprights.

I'm wondering what you guys have found is the best arrangement of all 4 doors in the cart? I'm struggling a bit with the rear doors. The lower edge is short and the exterior door handles interfere in an awkward way. Thinking I should have made the upright spacing even wider or taller so I'd have more flexibility with the positioning. For me the rear door handles interfere with the upper cross bars.

Falcon15

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Made mine a couple of weeks ago as well. Specs were spot on. One thing I realized was I used some stiffer carpeting. I'd highly recommend screwing in the carpeting vs. stapling it. That was the most time consuming part for me. Thanks for the plans though!
Sponsored