Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well, being honest, mine is not "quiet" either. It's just quieter than when the tops aren't seated all the way, like it was when I got if off the dealership lot and before I realized they go down further! It was unbearable at 70 mph and up.
Oh well mine is not that bad, I can have a conversation with a passenger at 70 mph it’s just annoting, kinda sounds like a window is ever so slightly cracked open but the noise is coming from just abome the visor on the passenger side but you can’t feel any air coming in
Sponsored

Kenc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder
Oh well mine is not that bad, I can have a conversation with a passenger at 70 mph it’s just annoting, kinda sounds like a window is ever so slightly cracked open but the noise is coming from just abome the visor on the passenger side but you can’t feel any air coming in
I don’t think it is a coincidence that 90% of the people complaining about wind noise all say the same thing. It sounds like a window is cracked open and the major area that the sound comes from the passenger side. My Jeep is my daily driver but the other day my wife drove and I sat on the passenger side and I was shocked how much louder it was sitting on that side. I thought it was bad when I was driving but sitting as a passenger was 10 times worse.

Ndrogo

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
If I remember I will try to snap a pic of the passenger side, I will also try again to get the passenger side down further.

Also maybe if you heard mine you would say it’s quiet but then I am comparing it to vehicles I have had in the past that did not have a removable top or a windshield that folded down so maybe it’s a “Jeep Thing”
I’m also having the same issue. Input my hard top on for winter hit Jeep in June and didn’t notice noise was this bad. Had soft top on all summer.
The peg on my passenger side is also not as far down as the drivers and looks like the pic. How do you get the pass her side down?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’m also having the same issue. Input my hard top on for winter hit Jeep in June and didn’t notice noise was this bad. Had soft top on all summer.
The peg on my passenger side is also not as far down as the drivers and looks like the pic. How do you get the pass her side down?
My passenger side peg won’t go down any further than what I have pictured no matter how hard I lean on the panel, I have checked all seals and get no water inside but can hear what sounds like a small air leak and talking to the service guys at Jeep is purely a joke as they honestly don’t care so each time I take my panels out I look for what may be causing the issue but so far it’s been a loss

Ndrogo

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
My passenger side peg won’t go down any further than what I have pictured no matter how hard I lean on the panel, I have checked all seals and get no water inside but can hear what sounds like a small air leak and talking to the service guys at Jeep is purely a joke as they honestly don’t care so each time I take my panels out I look for what may be causing the issue but so far it’s been a loss
Did you open a case with Jeep? Intake mine in on Tuesday something is defiantly not correct.

Sponsored

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
This is the only issue I have is that wind noise coming from the same area as the rest of you here, had tops off and studied the seals and see 0 reason for this issue. This is a tough one!! I'll be watching for a fix.

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
Let me start off by saying this is my 7th Wrangler and 5th with a hard top, and no other Wranglers over the years have had the wind noise this one does. After reporting my wind noise issues to the dealer (sounds like the window is slightly open, starts at 40 mph and increases to seriously annoying levels as speed increases, the stereo has to be turned up to 22 to drown out the wind noise), they applied the 'Star Update' that replaces the lower foam pieces.

The noise was not coming from the lower part of the windshield and after inspecting the foam myself before bringing it in I saw no issues, so naturally it didn't help.

The dealer told me there was nothing more they would do because FCA doesn't have any further direction. I opened a case with FCA, they informed me that the star case for the lower foam was only applicable to one customer who reported wind noise and they would get in touch with the dealer to see if they could have them troubleshoot further. When the dealer refused, FCA contacted me and told me that FCA engineers said that the wind noise is acceptable in Jeep Wranglers and it is part of the design and FCA refuses to address the matter any further.

In software terms we say "It isn't a bug, it's a feature". So basically FCA has designed the wind noise into the JL Wranglers. They should list that on the window sticker as part of the standard package.

My advice is if you are going to purchase a hardtop Wrangler in the future, make sure you take it out on the highway and listen for excessive wind noise. If the unit has the noise, keep driving different ones until you find one that doesn't have the noise, because it will not go away, it cannot be fixed (no one has found a solution), and FCA refuses to acknowledge it is a problem and will do nothing to assist you.

So now I drive a vehicle that I love and hate at the same time.
I drove 6 different units , all models and same wind noise, so it is the Norm sad to say.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Did you open a case with Jeep? Intake mine in on Tuesday something is defiantly not correct.
Yes it was taken in on wind noise and I was advised it was normal, the dealer I have dealt with is WORTHLESS...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have the whistle noise coming from my hard top (only generates at 45mph or higher) and after reading this thread for months I've tried every adjustment recommended. Based on its central location (essentially the gap where the freedom panels meet) I was convinced it had to be the position of the panels - I tried to make sure they were perfectly aligned assuming turbulence may be causing the noise. I experimented with clamping them down more, then less... all to no avail. Was ready to write it off as cross wind and nothing more I could do. Then today after a wash I decided to tape the entire rubber gasket around the windshield went for a drive and bingo no more noise! On the way back I removed the tape and whistle returned. I recall another forum member taping his windshield but can't remember the outcome. Off to the dealership this week to see if I can get it resolved.

muskynut

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JLU SPORT-S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had some at first, found the upper right bolt loose, such that I could revolve it with one finnger... So I tightened it up, still had some, so I loosened all bolts then I tightened the two outer most first, then the next two. Wind noise now i minimal, I hear my tires more than the wind... at 75 mph.

Now I have a question, I really wanted to open up the window, when I had all bolts loosened (out) I had tried to open the window; but there was no play in the window to get it to budge... The reason for opening would be to see if there was any openings visable in the lower two corners where wind could go through. Not being able to budge it, that is when I tightened the bolts the way I did.

May be it wasn't ment to be.

Sponsored

Wfd1244

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited sport s
I had some at first, found the upper right bolt loose, such that I could revolve it with one finnger... So I tightened it up, still had some, so I loosened all bolts then I tightened the two outer most first, then the next two. Wind noise now i minimal, I hear my tires more than the wind... at 75 mph.

Now I have a question, I really wanted to open up the window, when I had all bolts loosened (out) I had tried to open the window; but there was no play in the window to get it to budge... The reason for opening would be to see if there was any openings visable in the lower two corners where wind could go through. Not being able to budge it, that is when I tightened the bolts the way I did.

May be it wasn't ment to be.
Did you take your freedom panels out first?

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
first thing i noticed as i drove it 600kms home from the dealership. it's not that bad, but it is there. but i've had TJs in the past, so it didn't really bother me. 2 door rubicon with hard top.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Ya I had a TJ SOFT TOP. You want to talk about noise, flapping, etc.drive in one of those for a day. You'll think your JL is a Cadillac after.

My JL is pretty quiet.

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L