Hard top wind noise

sisoul

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My 2020 JLUR is having the same issue. It only whistles on windy days and the dealer can’t replicate it .
Well mine almost does it all the time now, still have no clue what it is
Sponsored

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I had an annoying wind noise coming from the drivers side A pillar. I adjusted the freedom top, played around with the door seals and even adjusted the hinges on the front window, all to no avail. Thanks to Sting-NC-USA (page 60 of this thread), I was finally able to figure it out. It was the stupid plastic triangle thing next to the rear view mirror.

I used electrical tape and taped around the seal, then took the Jeep for a spin down the highway. Walla!!!! Problem solved. I took my Jeep to the dealer the next day and showed them and they ordered me two new ones no questions asked (one for driver side and one for passenger side).

This is my third Jeep and they most definitely do have some wind noise at high speeds or during strong winds. That being said, never let anyone tell you it's a "Jeep Thing". If you have unusual wind noise, just keep searching for the source and you'll find the issue. Best of luck.

Thanks again to Sting_NC_USA. You saved me a lot of headache.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Sahara and Rubicon 2.0T with the 8.4" Alpine have electronic noise canceling. My JLR has the 8.4" Alpine with Electronic Noise Canceling. It does seem quieter then a recent 2.0 eTorque Sport I tried without the noise canceling. My JLR seemed quite a bit quieter even with the more aggressive K02s. Less wind noise. I assume the hard top panels were installed properly.

Last edited:

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I don’t understand the wind noise complaint. My JLU Sport softop has the aerodynamics of a brick and has off-road tires. I did not expect it to be whisper quiet at highway speeds. I came from a Toyota Tacoma, which is also pretty loud I guess. But I am always amazed at how relatively quiet my Jeep is.

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t understand the wind noise complaint. My JLU Sport softop has the aerodynamics of a brick and has off-road tires. I did not expect it to be whisper quiet at highway speeds. I came from a Toyota Tacoma, which is also pretty loud I guess. But I am always amazed at how relatively quiet my Jeep is.
If your Jeep is as quiet as a Tacoma, you got a good one.

Chaosmtb

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ 00 XJ 19 jlur
Well mine almost does it all the time now, still have no clue what it is
Hey i think we have same noise, i taped everything one by one. hit the nail on the head with taping the door to the window frame. tea time whistle shuts up. had to climb through the passenger door to drive it. dealer been giving me a run around with a loaner last 3 months and now w current events they telling me no available loaner again, i put some hvac foam tape inside the window frame, keeps it at bay up to 70 mph, but i dont see anything wrong with the door seal, i really want to try a buddies door and see if it shuts up, if not the window frame needs addressing. if you find any leads on that door seal keep me posted thanks

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
Hey i think we have same noise, i taped everything one by one. hit the nail on the head with taping the door to the window frame. tea time whistle shuts up. had to climb through the passenger door to drive it. dealer been giving me a run around with a loaner last 3 months and now w current events they telling me no available loaner again, i put some hvac foam tape inside the window frame, keeps it at bay up to 70 mph, but i dont see anything wrong with the door seal, i really want to try a buddies door and see if it shuts up, if not the window frame needs addressing. if you find any leads on that door seal keep me posted thanks
They replaced the windshield and installed new freedom tops and still have mine....not as bad but still there....so I am just living with it...

Chaosmtb

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ 00 XJ 19 jlur
They replaced the windshield and installed new freedom tops and still have mine....not as bad but still there....so I am just living with it...
I figured mine out... very easy fix... open the door, look at the channel on the windshield frame, there’s a small gap runs down the window, I added electrical tape running down and it’s all quiet now I’ll take a pic

F427ED6A-29DD-47AF-873C-B72F9432C015.jpeg

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
I just drove all 3 models of the JLU Wranglers on city streets and mountain driving here in Denver.

When in the mountains at 65 mph and some cross wind, I had quite a bit of wind noise. Sounded like it was coming from the top of the windshield/hardtop seal.

The Sport S was the loudest, while the Sahara and the Rubicon were only somewhat quieter. None had the top liner installed, which I think is odd since CO temps vary from -30 to 100 deg. F during the year from the high plains to the mountains. I know, I've lived here for over 26 years.

You lucky few who are driving your own ( I'm waiting for the 2 dr ), what is your experience?
37/38 on the alpine premium Audio quite a lot...not sure even how my transmission sounds or my motor, or the wind noise outside....sirius xm lithium channel sounds great

Sponsored

Mandy.B

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
I had an annoying wind noise coming from the drivers side A pillar. I adjusted the freedom top, played around with the door seals and even adjusted the hinges on the front window, all to no avail. Thanks to Sting-NC-USA (page 60 of this thread), I was finally able to figure it out. It was the stupid plastic triangle thing next to the rear view mirror.

I used electrical tape and taped around the seal, then took the Jeep for a spin down the highway. Walla!!!! Problem solved. I took my Jeep to the dealer the next day and showed them and they ordered me two new ones no questions asked (one for driver side and one for passenger side).

This is my third Jeep and they most definitely do have some wind noise at high speeds or during strong winds. That being said, never let anyone tell you it's a "Jeep Thing". If you have unusual wind noise, just keep searching for the source and you'll find the issue. Best of luck.

Thanks again to Sting_NC_USA. You saved me a lot of headache.
Hey, this JL is my first jeep. And it definitely has wind noise at highway speeds. How do you know if its normal or too much? Not sure if you can answer this or not, I just assumed it was normal.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Hey, this JL is my first jeep. And it definitely has wind noise at highway speeds. How do you know if its normal or too much? Not sure if you can answer this or not, I just assumed it was normal.
Do you have headliners?

Best way I can describe it is that if you hear a whistle, there is probably something wrong. If you hear loud general wind noise, then it's probably ok.

If it helps at all, my Jeep with a hardtop has roughly the same amount of noise as a few sporty/sports cars I have had in the past (equipped with summer tires or UHP all season tires), both subjectively and objectively (registered roughly the same decibels). However, the noise in the cars was dominated by tire noise whereas the Jeep was dominated by wind noise.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I've owned 3 over the years; 2012, 2016 and 2020. All daily drivers.

Based upon my personal experience, you should be able to drive 55 or less and have either no and/or very, very minor wind noise. At 55-65, you can expect very subtle wind noise, but nothing annoying. When traveling 65 + its not uncommon to have some wind noise, but nothing obnoxious. Perhaps just slightly more than you would find in a mid level SUV, i.e Escape, Edge and etc.

If its windy outside, you can expect excessive wind noise in your Jeep, especially during gusts. This is normal and I've experienced this on all my Jeeps. My 2012 was the quietest Jeep I owned. It was more quiet than my wife's car and SUV.

My 2020 is pretty quiet now, but does have a strange "whistle" noise when I'm cruising down the highway at 65-70 and its very windy outside. This scenario rarely happens and only occurs if I'm driving strait into the wind, so I don't get worked up about it.

Moral of the story; expect a little wind noise at high speeds, but you should have zero wind noise while traveling less than 55 (unless very windy outside).

Hope this helps.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Perhaps just slightly more than you would find in a mid level SUV, i.e Escape, Edge and etc.
I respectfully disagree with this statement. I think the Jeep is considerably louder on the highway than something like a Ford Edge. Most modern crossovers, even ones from mainstream brands, are pretty quiet.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I respectfully disagree with this statement. I think the Jeep is considerably louder on the highway than something like a Ford Edge. Most modern crossovers, even ones from mainstream brands, are pretty quiet.
No worries I probably shouldn't have used Edge as an example, since I haven't owned one.

I have owned (wife's vehicles, not mine, thank you very much, LOL) an Escape and now a ECO Sport and my Jeeps have been nearly as quiet as these vehicles. I think it goes without saying I'm referring to wind noise, not tire noise and etc.
Sponsored