Hard top storage

CoughenPower

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I took the top off my Jeep for the first time yesterday and it was so fabulous! The part I didnt think about was oh yeah now I have to put that top somewhere.... I currently have it on a covered outdoor patio under a tarp but dont really like the idea of keeping it outside. I do have a 2- 2 1/2 car garage. One side for me one side for my husband. It is not long enough to store the hard top on the ground with the cars in the garage. After facing this predicament I looked online and basically saw a hard top roller cart that stores the top on its side (which could work in my garage but I am worried storing it on its side for 3 months will damage top). The other options are lift systems that hang from your garage ceiling or the really fancy hydraulic life system. My question is what do you use? Pros and cons? Do you like it? Thanks very much!
Jeep Wrangler JL Hard top storage Jeep life
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Hoist it to the roof. Park under it.

20200405_175231.jpg

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I built a wooden cart out of 2x4" with casters from plans I found online and we stored the hard top for my wife's JLU vertically. Since you have 2-door, the top is much smaller...you could store it this way without an issue, or build a shelf along the back wall to store it and then pull the Jeep in under it.

You can see from this pic my garage is quite a bit smaller than yours LOL. It's barely large enough to fit a car, but I needed a work space.

IMG_1118crop.jpg

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I use a hoist as well. Lots of options. Mines the Racor and works great. I put the panels on the top.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009I8AO6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I will second the Racor system. I was in the same boat as you in December of last year and the hard top took up one garage bay as it sat on pieces of pool noodle. I searched this site and looked at the various methods that forum members used. There are the $40 eye bolts and ratchet straps to the $500+ powered hoist solutions. I chose the Racor as I could easily raise or lower the hard top by myself and it had the wire mesh shelf that I can store the freedom panels on. I highly recommend getting the Topsy steel cable cam drivers to replace the included plastic cams to eliminate the one item that seemed to cause people issues. I purchased the Topsy hinge hoist bracket kit and now I can start lifting the hard top in a minute after pulling into the garage.

I installed 2x6's against my garage ceiling and then mounted the Racor rails into those. It is over-engineered, but I have piece of mind knowing it is secure. Total cost was under $350 for everything.

Sponsored

Jdsmoke

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport 2 door
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Healthcare
I will second the Racor system. I was in the same boat as you in December of last year and the hard top took up one garage bay as it sat on pieces of pool noodle. I searched this site and looked at the various methods that forum members used. There are the $40 eye bolts and ratchet straps to the $500+ powered hoist solutions. I chose the Racor as I could easily raise or lower the hard top by myself and it had the wire mesh shelf that I can store the freedom panels on. I highly recommend getting the Topsy steel cable cam drivers to replace the included plastic cams to eliminate the one item that seemed to cause people issues. I purchased the Topsy hinge hoist bracket kit and now I can start lifting the hard top in a minute after pulling into the garage.

I installed 2x6's against my garage ceiling and then mounted the Racor rails into those. It is over-engineered, but I have piece of mind knowing it is secure. Total cost was under $350 for everything.
i second the Topsy hinge hoist. Great add.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought one where you store it vertically on it's rear but it didn't fit well and chipped part of the top. I can't use a hoist because not enough room in my garage so I rent a garage at my son's apartment complex and built a stand that I back up to and we lift it off and set on the stand. I know a guy that built his own hoist to save a few dollars but he did get a safety ratchet and he just about lost it when hoisting and it slipped.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I bought the Top Lift Pro. Allows me to remove the roof by myself and I just pull in under it in the garage

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
I'm watching as the Top Lift Pro is an investment. Seems high in costs for what it is, but understand they are the innovators of this type of lift specific to hardtops. Debating a ceiling hoist as me and the boys lifting the top off is getting old (for them), and placing it on the floor takes up too much space. I have a three car (tandem) and space is premium even with a large garage (two motorcycles, camping, hockey, baseball and tennis gear etc. You know the drill with active family. Plus my whole back tandem area is dedicated to tools, workbench, and the bikes. The concern I have with the Top Lift is when it is not being used for the top, does it stow away easy and small.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to beat hoisting it to the ceiling assuming you can get your rig in and out.
Ceiling is usually unused space and a hoist can be put together pretty economically.

Sponsored

JLRoachicon

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo, 2006 Ducati 999S (RIP)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm watching as the Top Lift Pro is an investment. Seems high in costs for what it is, but understand they are the innovators of this type of lift specific to hardtops. Debating a ceiling hoist as me and the boys lifting the top off is getting old (for them), and placing it on the floor takes up too much space. I have a three car (tandem) and space is premium even with a large garage (two motorcycles, camping, hockey, baseball and tennis gear etc. You know the drill with active family. Plus my whole back tandem area is dedicated to tools, workbench, and the bikes. The concern I have with the Top Lift is when it is not being used for the top, does it stow away easy and small.
I have the Top Lift Pro and I love it. It does take up space when not being used compared to a ceiling hoist but you can still park right up against it.
I will say though that my top is off most of the time, only back on when it rains.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hard top storage 9FEBD790-2C0E-4FAF-9D5F-200603E43F27
Jeep Wrangler JL Hard top storage CAAABFA7-3CFE-4606-BFE0-12CC40B82211

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
When I have the hard top on for the winter, I separate the top from the bottom and store them in my shed. I pull them out when It's time to put the soft top back on.
Sponsored