Hard top storage

MichaelR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I plan to take the hard top off this summer. Curious how you guys store yours. . . . . . . ideas??
Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have installed the racor lift in my garage along with the Topsy racor gears. My garage ceilings are 9ft, so plenty of room to lift the top.

Using the topsy gears and topsy rear mount points makes the job very easy. The rear mounts look very nice and provide a safe way to lift the rear side. The front is easy as you just need to run a strap around it.

Here is a picture showing the rear of the jeep. You can zoom in to see how the topsy brackets look above the window. No interference with operations of the glass.
20200201_141556.jpg

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Like RedBaron, another vote for Topsy Products & a Racor lift.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Built a cart from some 2"X4"s, wheels, and outdoor carpet from Home Depot. Probably $40.
I roll it into the corner of my garage.

Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Harken hoist was inexpensive and works great!

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I plan to take the hard top off this summer. Curious how you guys store yours. . . . . . . ideas??
Our ideas are only as good as you have space. Do you have garage you can stick it in? If so is it tall enough to hold the hard top from above?

How do you remove your hard top? Some people like to make what they take their hard top off with what they store in on (e.g. Top Lift Pro and Freedom Jack.) Is your garage (if you have on) long enough to stick your removed top, in the reverse direction, in front of the rig at the back of the garage with one of these two devices and then pull your rig in engine first so the hard top top sits above the engine compartment.

What's your budget, do you want to go DIY?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
The kits are way too expensive for my taste. So I made this for about $250 with an electric hoist. It has a "T" made out of boxed steel to lift it now. Top sits all summer so I wanted it on something flat.
20190407_103532.jpg

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
For how long do you store it like this? We need to store ours for a few months, but I'm concerned about warping. We do have a carport, but it's something silly like 12 or 14 feet high. I'm not sure how we're going to get high enough to install a mount...
Mine sits like this for 6 months a year. No warping, not sure why people think its plastic that will warp. Especially in the more northern climates.

Sponsored

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Mine sits like this for 6 months a year. No warping, not sure why people think its plastic that will warp. Especially in the more northern climates.
I don't know either, but I would sure hate to be wrong! We have to build a custom shed for it (LOL - if we don't hang it under our carport) as well so it will be under cover, but summers here can get quite hot at 30+ C degrees. We get -40 to +30 here.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
I don't know either, but I would sure hate to be wrong! We have to build a custom shed for it (LOL - if we don't hang it under our carport) as well so it will be under cover, but summers here can get quite hot at 30+ C degrees. We get -40 to +30 here.
I have the exact same concerns as well as it being reachable by the kiddos.

Currently my plan is to build something like what BrntWS6 has in the photo, but still figuring out exactly what to do.

I will only be putting it in/out of storage twice a year, so it does not have to be fast but safe and secure in the garage.
Sponsored