Hard top storage question

ChadR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
IT
Hey all, I have a small single garage with 9 foot ceiling. I currently hoist my hard top and leave it hanging from the rafters.

Im getting the garage floor cracks repaired so took out the hard top. That got me thinking... So looking for your input.

I’m wondering if a rack could be built to hold the hardtop vertical with the nose/front facing downward so that one could push the hard top over a garage storage shelf unit. Thus, maximizing the storage space in the small garage. Basically inverted from the existing wheeled storage options on the market.

Its 100 lbs with glass right?

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The Unlimited hardtop is around 140 lbs. The tricky thing about rotating the hard-top with the front downward is that the center-of-gravity (COG) is so far rearward. To make it easier to handle, your setup would have to support the weight of the hard-top as close as it can to that COG.

Everyplace is within walking distance...if you have the time, so I'm sure what you're proposing can be done. I haven't seen a successful example of that, yet, though. I imagine some horizontal metal piping wrapped in a pool noodle, setup like a gymnastics horizontal bar, placed in the very rear of the hardtop, right above the rear-window hinge maybe could support the hard-top in a nose-down orientation. That's just my napkin-sketch imagineering at work, so caveat emptor. Good luck!

P.S. If you don't want to use metal piping, Formufit offers "furniture grade" PVC parts.

Last edited: