SF Pacer

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
I had the same issue after storing my hardtop all summer. I put silicon grease on all of the rubber seals and the creaking went away. I had the same issue with the back glass as well.
Do you mean the rubber seals on the freedom panels and the one on the back window? Were there any others I’m missing? I will try this weekend.
Sponsored

bdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Do you mean the rubber seals on the freedom panels and the one on the back window? Were there any others I’m missing? I will try this weekend.
Yes, both of those spots and the seals where the panels rest.

Jackal

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLU
I have a 2018 2 door Sport S with a hard top. I have developed what I can only describe as creaking or cracking noises from the hard top and freedom panels while I’m driving. They aren’t particularly loud - for instance I can’t really hear them with the radio on. I would also say I’m pretty sensitive to noises like this. This is my first Jeep and I expected there to be road noise, wind noise, etc but would those of you with hard tops say these kinds of noises are normal?
In my case it was the white localisation pins beside the freedom panel clamp, remove the panel use plumber slicone grease or dielectric grease on the pins, reassemble the freedom. No more noise!

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I have the same creaking noise on my 2018 JL Sport S 2dr Hardtop. It seems to happen on colder mornings. I figure it is just the Jeeps way of telling me it doesn't like leaving for work at zero dark thirty.

Sponsored

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
My observation is that any noise is directly related to temperature. On cloudy days, everything is quieter. Cold days, no clouds I hear more creaking. I attribute that to temperature differences between the hardtop (fiberglass) and the frame (metal.) Both expand/contract at different rates. Cold days/clear sky has top (black) expanding but metal not so much. Least creaking on warm (not cold) nights. That's my experience. Jeep noise reminds me that I have a Jeep. I'm okay with that.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I have the same thing. It's almost like a styrofoam like noise..crackling like. I spent about an hour one day putting different tapes at various points trying to get rid of it and then test driving it and retrying. All that resulted was me throwing one of the freedom panels across my front yard in anger.
Sponsored