Hard top noises - not wind noise

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
I have a 2018 2 door Sport S with a hard top. I have developed what I can only describe as creaking or cracking noises from the hard top and freedom panels while I’m driving. They aren’t particularly loud - for instance I can’t really hear them with the radio on. I would also say I’m pretty sensitive to noises like this. This is my first Jeep and I expected there to be road noise, wind noise, etc but would those of you with hard tops say these kinds of noises are normal?
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
There will be rattle sounds everwhere in a Wrangler. You found one and another pops up, just have to live with it.

But seriously, the sound may come from:
Loose panel latch
Plastic on plastic
Sun visor

It is also winter time so things tend to squeak, it may be gone by itself when getting warm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SF Pacer

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
There will be rattle sounds everwhere in a Wrangler. You found one and another pols up, just have to live with it.

But seriously, the sound may come from:
Loose panel latch
Plastic on plastic
Sun visor

It is also winter time so things tend to squeak, it may be gone by itself when getting warm.
Thanks. I figured it was a Jeep thing and expected it to be that way. I wanted to see if everyone lives with it or there were some fixes.

As you suggest it does seem to be worse with the colder temps.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I figured it was a Jeep thing and expected it to be that way. I wanted to see if everyone lives with it or there were some fixes.

I just live with it, the new Alpine audio system is awesome so crank up your volume, no more squeak!

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I have a 2018 2 door Sport S with a hard top. I have developed what I can only describe as creaking or cracking noises from the hard top and freedom panels while I’m driving. They aren’t particularly loud - for instance I can’t really hear them with the radio on. I would also say I’m pretty sensitive to noises like this. This is my first Jeep and I expected there to be road noise, wind noise, etc but would those of you with hard tops say these kinds of noises are normal?
I've read in a couple other forums and threads to make sure the guide pins line up properly and don't rub on the holes they fit into before tightening them down. Apparently if the pins rub it can be kinda noisy - like you're describing.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
A big fix is placing felt or the soft side of Velcro on the sun visor touch points. When you do you'll notice that Jeep did the same thing on two bolt touch points in front of the visors. Also, outdoor temperature impacts all soft to hard touch points, as in, expansion and contraction. I live where it goes from low 20's to high 40's daily. It sings different tunes in the morning vs. afternoon every day.

bdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I had the same issue after storing my hardtop all summer. I put silicon grease on all of the rubber seals and the creaking went away. I had the same issue with the back glass as well.

tribefan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys XR
I had the same issue after storing my hardtop all summer. I put silicon grease on all of the rubber seals and the creaking went away. I had the same issue with the back glass as well.
Interesting. We have creaking coming from our rear glass and what sounds like our freedom panels, right behind our heads. How much grease did you put on them (spray/brush it on or spray on a rag and wipe it on?) and do you have to continually apply it or was it a one-and-done thing?

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I have the fuzzy side of velcro on the hard top where the freedom panels touch. It helps a lot and every few months you may have to adjust the Velcro or add more. No big deal. For the rubber weatherstrip seals making noise, get a silicon spray designed for rubber seals and weatherstripping. It works really well.

Sponsored

Sweetwater

First Name
Clif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2018 Compass Trailhawk
The rattle is from the 2 plastic covers right behind both seats. They have "stick-em"
strips to hold them on. Give them a push to temp. fix this. I found this back in July.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer

Zero sound on mine. Check all the rubber seals are in the proper place.

bdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Interesting. We have creaking coming from our rear glass and what sounds like our freedom panels, right behind our heads. How much grease did you put on them (spray/brush it on or spray on a rag and wipe it on?) and do you have to continually apply it or was it a one-and-done thing?
I just sprayed some on a rag and generously wiped it on. I did the top and rear once back in November and haven't had any creaking since.

OP
OP
SF Pacer

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
The rattle is from the 2 plastic covers right behind both seats. They have "stick-em"
strips to hold them on. Give them a push to temp. fix this. I found this back in July.
I had that issue too and fixed that separately. The noise I'm describing is separate, and not as noticeable, as the noise coming from those plastic covers.
Sponsored