Hard Top Maintenance?

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Anyone know what to use to keep the standard black hard top looking good? I think wax would be a disaster but maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Grumpy Wrangler

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 door JL
Vehicle Showcase
Aerospace 303 is a decent spray to keep the hard water spots and fading to a minimum

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Aerospace 303 is a decent spray to keep the hard water spots and fading to a minimum
A couple of people here also recommended Turtle Wax Ice. That’s what I’m using and so far it’s working well. Looks great and water beads up nicely.

Time will tell I guess.

OP
OP

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple of people here also recommended Turtle Wax Ice. That’s what I’m using and so far it’s working well. Looks great and water beads up nicely.

Time will tell I guess.
So whatever car wax I'm using on the rest of the vehicle should work OK then it seems....

Grumpy Wrangler

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 door JL
Vehicle Showcase
So whatever car wax I'm using on the rest of the vehicle should work OK then it seems....
I think they key is making sure that whatever you choose it has uv protection and doesn’t have a white film

Sponsored

MidMo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ / 2001 WJ / 2017 Ram 3500HD / 2019 JLU Moab
Turtle Wax Ice isn't like a "normal" car wax. I used a standard car wax on my TJ spice hard top once and it looked great when first applied...then spent the next two years getting the chalky film off the darn thing. The Ice product is formulated to not leave that residue but I can't provide first hand knowledge to a hardtop. It does work well on my motorcycles though...no film left that I can see. I have used Aerospace 303 on my RV with great results also.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turtle Wax Ice isn't like a "normal" car wax. I used a standard car wax on my TJ spice hard top once and it looked great when first applied...then spent the next two years getting the chalky film off the darn thing. The Ice product is formulated to not leave that residue but I can't provide first hand knowledge to a hardtop. It does work well on my motorcycles though...no film left that I can see. I have used Aerospace 303 on my RV with great results also.
Since I mentioned Turtle Wax Ice in this thread, I should confirm it is not like a “normal” wax in that it does not leave a heavy film to remove. It works well on the hardtop and fender flares. I’m not sure a regular wax would work as well.

MidMo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ / 2001 WJ / 2017 Ram 3500HD / 2019 JLU Moab
Since I mentioned Turtle Wax Ice in this thread, I should confirm it is not like a “normal” wax in that it does not leave a heavy film to remove. It works well on the hardtop and fender flares. I’m not sure a regular wax would work as well.
I didn't mean anything by that...hope you didn't think I was calling you out. I was just trying to clarify the products purpose and share a slightly frustrating story.:like:

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't mean anything by that...hope you didn't think I was calling you out. I was just trying to clarify the products purpose and share a slightly frustrating story.:like:
Actually I thought it was a really good clarification. I didn’t want anyone to think that since Turtle Wax Ice seems to work well that all waxes would work well. I can only vouch for the Ice.

Sponsored

Ralph2018JL

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone know what to use to keep the standard black hard top looking good? I think wax would be a disaster but maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Turtle Wax Ice paste. You can use it on black plastic also. You don’t want to use polish or cleaner waxes, as they leave white residue.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good stuff! You can use it on your black plastic fender flares and bumpers and it leaves a nice sheen. Needless to say it’s fantastic for paint, as well.
Thanks! I didnt scroll down far enough to notice that, DUH - there are more then 4 Ice products for sure:)

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can vouch for the liquid as well. What's really nice is that you can use it on all surfaces - top, fender flares, bumpers, door handles, windshield tie downs etc. (and the paint of course!). I'm sure the same goes for the paste.

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 8.51.07 AM.png
Sponsored