Sponsored

Hard top better for side windows off?

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
I've been watching some videos and it looks like the side windows can be removed from the hard top just like the soft top. It also looks a lot cleaner when they're removed from the hard top since the soft top has a big hinge in both side windows for allowing the top of the soft top to slide back. Do I have that right? I plan to roll with the side windows off most of the time. Would a hard top be better for that?
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I've been watching some videos and it looks like the side windows can be removed from the hard top just like the soft top. It also looks a lot cleaner when they're removed from the hard top since the soft top has a big hinge in both side windows for allowing the top of the soft top to slide back. Do I have that right? I plan to roll with the side windows off most of the time. Would a hard top be better for that?
The side windows only remove on the power retractable top. On my hard top the only easily removable pieces are the two front Freedom Top panels, and then you need to undo six bolts and disconnect the electrical cables and washer fluid hose to remove the rest of the top that is one big piece.

OP
OP

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
Ah interesting. That's the power top that isn't available yet? If so I guess the soft top is the only way to remove the side windows. And the only way to remove those big hinges on the sides is to remove the soft top entirely?

That power hard top is really going to be sweet then.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Ah interesting. That's the power top that isn't available yet? If so I guess the soft top is the only way to remove the side windows. And the only way to remove those big hinges on the sides is to remove the soft top entirely?

That power hard top is really going to be sweet then.
Yeah, I didn't spring for the dual tops, so I'll have to differ those questions lol.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I was also looking for a way to run just the top without any side windows in the rear I am waiting to order a two door but I don’t want that power top.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Soft top will do it.
Cool thanks , guess I’m in the same boat with wanting the dual top group now. I’m definitely ordering my jeep with the hardtop I plan on keeping it for a long time and know at some point I’m going to want that hardtop and would rather have the original one from jeep that matches my jeep. Soft tops come and go and feel more comfortable buying an aftermarket soft top. I’m waiting to order a 2 door mojito If the dual top becomes available by then great , if not I guess I’ll end up going aftermarket.
Sponsored