Sponsored

Hard Top and Soft Top Question

Rubehrcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traverse, Sierra
Ordered a 2022 Rubicon Unlimited with color match hardtop. Considering also getting a Sunrider soft top for best of both worlds. Can the two types of tops be easily swapped out? Thinking hardtop in winter and soft top in summer.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Ordered a 2022 Rubicon Unlimited with color match hardtop. Considering also getting a Sunrider soft top for best of both worlds. Can the two types of tops be easily swapped out? Thinking hardtop in winter and soft top in summer.
Yes, lots of people swap them depending on season.
Just remember, storing the hard top is the biggest issue for some.

Google "Hardtop storage JLWranglerforum" for about 1.3 million answers.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Pretty easy to change out the tops. Since I have room I went with the Harken Hoister to remove and store the hard top up and out of the way. I've adjusted it a bit so I can pull it up closer to the ceiling
Jeep Wrangler JL Hard Top and Soft Top Question FBF821F5-66EE-46E3-A9D6-36E4D193BD3D

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Pretty easy to change out the tops. Since I have room I went with the Harken Hoister to remove and store the hard top up and out of the way. I've adjusted it a bit so I can pull it up closer to the ceiling
Jeep Wrangler JL Hard Top and Soft Top Question FBF821F5-66EE-46E3-A9D6-36E4D193BD3D
X2 Topsy + Fleximounts

6A98A2F5-0D92-4A57-A619-8381AE8359BE.jpeg

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, they can be swapped. In terms of how easily, it depends.

My 2013 Rubicon came with the dual top. The biggest issue was (a) storing the hardtop in a safe place where it wouldn’t get damaged, followed by (b) the chore of getting the hardtop on-and-off the Jeep.

Unless you have a big, secured garage with plenty of space and a top hoist, swapping tops back-and-forth sounds good but is not very practical. I tried the Lange Hoist-A-Cart, and a few other devices.

After a couple of swaps I couldn’t bother with it any more; kept the hardtop, returned the hoist and sold the soft top.

These days the “best of both worlds” is the Sunrider top, IMO.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hard Top and Soft Top Question 1636830583183

Last edited:

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
I swap mine out. I have a Lang hoist so it’s a bit easier.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Super easy to do with proper lift and a place to store it. Once you put soft top on you will go less and less to the hard top. Mine has been hanging over a year now

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Yes, lots of people swap them depending on season.
Just remember, storing the hard top is the biggest issue for some.

Google "Hardtop storage JLWranglerforum" for about 1.3 million answers.
Storing the soft top is actually a bigger PITA for me.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Storing the soft top is actually a bigger PITA for me.
I suppose I am fortunate that I do have space in my garage, I fold the soft top up, wrap it in the vinyl wrap it came with and hang it on 2 ~ 18 inch hooks from Home Depot. Was a bit tricky the first time I installed/removed it, but I have it down pat now. The only hard part for me is disconnecting the wiring harness on the hard top, it is a very snug fit and I always feel like I am going to break it.

For me having a summer convertible was a great bonus on getting a Jeep, and I have the room to manage both tops. Plus in the PNW it is nice to have the hartop during the winter.

If you don't care about the convertible aspect or don't have the room the Sunrider is a nice option.

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Sunrider for Hardtop replaced my panels and has made the soft top obsolete! However you can probably tell by my original brand new Jeep 1965 (see side bar photo) I am older and lazy! Can't put up with PITA soft top option, that went away with my 2nd 4 door JK! Sunrider for Hard top rules!!

Yes it can stay on all winter and not a lot different than panel, our JL stays in a garage here in NE.

Go J3eep!!!

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Mine just sits on the hard top 2x4s.
Storing the top itself isn’t that bad. I just haven’t figured out a good way to store the windows, rail, hardware and top in one location that’s both out of the way and convenient.

I guess I should search the site a bit more and figure it out.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Storing the top itself isn’t that bad. I just haven’t figured out a good way to store the windows, rail, hardware and top in one location that’s both out of the way and convenient.

I guess I should search the site a bit more and figure it out.
Ahh, I have the soft window bag. So the windows sit in that and bag goes on top of folded softtop along with surrounds and ziplock of hardware.

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
If you want it, def grab the dual top group. You save some money and get the premium soft top
Sponsored