Sponsored

Hard to push brake pedal question

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Basically I came to a stop at a stop sign one day (on a little bit of an incline), and when I took my put up off of the brake and then back down again, the brake was very hard to press down (really wouldn't move). so i gave the Jeep a little gas to inch up a little and then pressed the brake again and the brake was then back to normal. I'm not terrified, but it just seems odd and quirky. Its happened to me only 3 times and its always at this same stop sign.

Anyone experience anything like this? Perhaps someone a little more mechanically savy can explain what might be happening here?
Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This happens anytime you “pump” the brakes. Basically you pushed the brake pedal again faster than the pressure in the system was able to bleed off. Works kind of like a pump up sprayer...the more you pump, the higher the pressure inside the system, which leads to more resistance when you pump. It’s completely normal on most vehicles.

OP
OP

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Thanks for the replies. Didn't seem like a big deal, just something quirky I had no idea about.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
A little incline? After you come to a stop, the Hill Start Assist will also kick in to not let you roll back. Might be the Jeep doing the braking for you. If you want to test, HSA can be disabled in the settings menu.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
A little incline? After you come to a stop, the Hill Start Assist will also kick in to not let you roll back. Might be the Jeep doing the braking for you. If you want to test, HSA can be disabled in the settings menu.

Hmm that sounds like it could be what is happening too. I take my food off of the brake and I dont roll back at all. And after I inch up I then can press the brake down again.

Either way, sounds like its not a problem at all.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
If anyone else is following this, I did a test... When Hill Start Assist kicks in, the brake becomes very hard to press and the brake lights stay on, even when my foot is off the pedal. When I press the gas and start to move forward, the pressure on the brake is released and the pedal goes soft again. Definitely not a problem.