First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Well this just puts a wrench in everyone’s theory that Warn is better because it’s American Made! It pisses me off!!! I try and support American made every chance I get! But couldn’t justify paying Double for possibly the same Winch at HF.

I was actually thinking of going with the cheaper warn and now I see this!!!!!

https://www.roundforge.com/articles/warn-vr-vs-warn-vr-evo-winch/
Good find, I hadn't seen that info. Looks like if you pull a bunch of line out then it becomes just as good as older generations with decreased current consumption (makes sense considering the electronics have gotten more efficient). If it is all made in China any way the winch from HF might not be a bad idea. I have been just as conflicted about this as you and I still really don't know what to do.

Edit: if you look at those graphs, it basically shows you the same thing I would say about HF. Take whatever it is rated for and subtract 20-30%.
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Well this just puts a wrench in everyone’s theory that Warn is better because it’s American Made! It pisses me off!!! I try and support American made every chance I get! But couldn’t justify paying Double for possibly the same Winch at HF.

I was actually thinking of going with the cheaper warn and now I see this!!!!!

https://www.roundforge.com/articles/warn-vr-vs-warn-vr-evo-winch/
At least the trade deficit is getting better... *Thinking positive*...

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Well t
Well that makes me feel better about it only being one wire. Do you think it will fit without relocating the wire?

I read that someone used another plate and it came with spacers to raise the Winch so as to avoid the problem with the switch on the warn. I wonder if some type of riser would help you. But you probably would rather just cut the switch then take the Wench back off.
The wire might actually fit. When I put the winch on for test fitting the wire rested on the grill. Since I was going to relocate the box I didn't test fit it. Spacers come with other winch plates but none came with the Warn kit. Shaving off a little off the handle is a good compromise for this pioneer!

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Good find, I hadn't seen that info. Looks like if you pull a bunch of line out then it becomes just as good as older generations with decreased current consumption (makes sense considering the electronics have gotten more efficient). If it is all made in China any way the winch from HF might not be a bad idea. I have been just as conflicted about this as you and I still really don't know what to do.

Edit: if you look at those graphs, it basically shows you the same thing I would say about HF. Take whatever it is rated for and subtract 20-30%.
Yeah I’m leaning toward warn just because of the way the wire comes out the side for the control box and the clutch switch turns 90°, at least I hope it does on the warn Evo.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Here is what Warn says. Funny how they say Leaving Our Factory and not Made in America.

• The WARN VR is made in China. It comes out of a factory that is only making our winches built to our specs, our design, our engineering. They are designed, engineered, and tested in our facility in Oregon.
  • All of the other truck winches are leaving our factory in Clackamas, OR. Some parts of them are globally sourced. Some of them come out of our factory. We have a small army of people putting these things together right here in Oregon.
  • All of our mounting systems are made in the USA. We have welders and fabricators welding, cutting, and bending metal at our Clackamas facility. (This includes Trans4mer for Tundra/Tacoma, our Ascent Bumpers for Tacoma, and our earlier Toyota Truck bumpers)
  • Warn employs 500 American workers in our plants in Clackamas and Milwaukie, Oregon. From assemblers to welders; engineers to marketing personnel; teams in distribution and maintenance. We are a global company, and have an office in Amsterdam, and sales all over the world.

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Here is what Warn says. Funny how they say Leaving Our Factory and not Made in America.

• The WARN VR is made in China. It comes out of a factory that is only making our winches built to our specs, our design, our engineering. They are designed, engineered, and tested in our facility in Oregon.
  • All of the other truck winches are leaving our factory in Clackamas, OR. Some parts of them are globally sourced. Some of them come out of our factory. We have a small army of people putting these things together right here in Oregon.
  • All of our mounting systems are made in the USA. We have welders and fabricators welding, cutting, and bending metal at our Clackamas facility. (This includes Trans4mer for Tundra/Tacoma, our Ascent Bumpers for Tacoma, and our earlier Toyota Truck bumpers)
  • Warn employs 500 American workers in our plants in Clackamas and Milwaukie, Oregon. From assemblers to welders; engineers to marketing personnel; teams in distribution and maintenance. We are a global company, and have an office in Amsterdam, and sales all over the world.
At the end of the day almost everything is still made in China and it may be assembled in the US. I think even Honda cars are made in China and assembled here (or were, correct me if I am wrong). I was thinking of doing Warn's new stubby bumper and doing the winch to match. I am still leaning towards Warn.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
At the end of the day almost everything is still made in China and it may be assembled in the US. I think even Honda cars are made in China and assembled here (or were, correct me if I am wrong). I was thinking of doing Warn's new stubby bumper and doing the winch to match. I am still leaning towards Warn.
I’m almost ready to head out the door as they have the Evo 10000 at a store to the street from me.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
After all this I’m going with the SmittyBilt X20 Comp 10000 model. I went and looked at the HF Apex 12000. I have to say, it looks Really Nice! The only reason I’m not going with it is because of the Weight, possible issue with the wire coming out the back (although It probably won’t be a problem, and the Switch Rubbing. Easy fix but my luck I will screw the cutting up and be pissed!!!

Thanks guys for all the input!!!!

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
the only thing about the winches that are sold by harbor freight, smittybilt, quadratec, etc are not built by those guys. yeah the prices are great. but i have to wonder the quality of them. the only winches i'd be looking at are the warn, ramsey and super winch. because they specialize in them.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
the only thing about the winches that are sold by harbor freight, smittybilt, quadratec, etc are not built by those guys. yeah the prices are great. but i have to wonder the quality of them. the only winches i'd be looking at are the warn, ramsey and super winch. because they specialize in them.
A lot of Warns line is made in China.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
And now I think I’m actually going with the XRC 3rd Gen

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
A lot of Warns line is made in China.
made in china is one thing. R&D are done by the company that specialize in the products. no ta "third" party company that puts something together for another company to slap there name on it to sell. thats why they can sell them cheap.

CZ 75

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
i ended up going with the Warn VR EVO 10K winch with the warn winch plate for my JLUR. its Warns chinese made model.

only thing i dont like is the control pack wires stick out the side and dont have the clean seamless look of the Zeons.
Sponsored