usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
IMG_1881.jpeg

Here ya go using a Warn winch plate with the new HF Apex 12k winch. Just installed and the only issue is the free spool lever is a little thick and rubs the bumper when using it. I also removed the control box and relocated the electronics under the hood. Sits low this way.

Know that the JL steel bumper is really more like a hubcap. It is a bolt-on cover that holds the foglights and provides a cutout opening for a winch line.
IMG_1881.jpeg
Oh Man!!!!!! You made my day buddy!!!!!!! This is great news!!!!! Thank you!!!

when you say the switch rubs, how bad is it? Does it mark the switch or the Bumper? Could the switch be dremeled to solve the issue?

thanks again!!!
Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Yes, the wireless controller is also a wired controller. The winch wired cable plugs into the bottom of the controller. The wireless controller feature also turns itself off after 3 minutes so no battery drain. The wireless feature also has its own switch so if you were to throw the controller in the glovebox and the button was somehow turned on, there is a positive failsafe on the winch to prevent and overload. Both work great, BTW. There is also a magnet on the back of the controller too.
Any pics with the bumper back on?

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Oh Man!!!!!! You made my day buddy!!!!!!! This is great news!!!!! Thank you!!!

when you say the switch rubs, how bad is it? Does it mark the switch or the Bumper? Could the switch be dremeled to solve the issue?

thanks again!!!
Yes, a little trimming on the lever would fix it. I used electrical tape, for now, since it is barely rubbing. I'm thinking of cutting the lever shorter. Cutting it will allow me to put the steel bumper cover plate hex screw back on so I have a uniform look on the bumper. This will satisfy my OCD.

Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Here's a close-up for ya
IMG_5976.jpeg
Looks Awesome!!! So is the lever just rubbing where the screw goes? Does it still rub with the screw out?

The missing screw would bother my OCD too! You could put a rubber grommet in there.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks Awesome!!! So is the lever just rubbing where the screw goes? Does it still rub with the screw out?

The missing screw would bother my OCD too! You could put a rubber grommet in there.
The lever "hits" the screw and just touches the bumper. Gonna need to shave off a good 1/4" of the handle to clear it. No biggie.

Papi4baby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I like the new Apex they have, but at that price point i rather get the smittybilt 12K one. Better warranty and is a company that supports the community.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
The lever "hits" the screw and just touches the bumper. Gonna need to shave off a good 1/4" of the handle to clear it. No biggie.
I really like that switch! I’d hate to make it look like crap!

last question; was it a pain in the ass to install everything?

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really like that switch! I’d hate to make it look like crap!

last question; was it a pain in the ass to install everything?
Yes and no.

Yes, because I had to take the control box apart and relocate the guts, but since I’d done that before it was just keeping track of which wires went where. If you leave the control box intact know that the Apex power wire comes out the back and will rest on the grill.

The bumper is easy to remove but space gets tight when you have the winch mounted on the plate before screwing on the inside the rail bumper nuts. If there’s an easier way to get those nuts on easier, please post up!

The fair lead can be a pain if the bolts are too short. Might need a trip to Home Depot to get longer bolts depending on the fair lead you use.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JCR winch plate. Fit perfect. Got lots of use this weekend with no issues.
76E98550-6EA9-45D5-96F8-F43E0EE3E0A5.jpeg

This was my JCR winch plate after a weekend pulling trees in my backyard. Use a snatch block if you get into anything heavy.

778B0C7E-70B9-4D8F-89DA-3882DC7B0C22.jpeg

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Yes and no.

Yes, because I had to take the control box apart and relocate the guts, but since I’d done that before it was just keeping track of which wires went where. If you leave the control box intact know that the Apex power wire comes out the back and will rest on the grill.

The bumper is easy to remove but space gets tight when you have the winch mounted on the plate before screwing on the inside the rail bumper nuts. If there’s an easier way to get those nuts on easier, please post up!

The fair lead can be a pain if the bolts are too short. Might need a trip to Home Depot to get longer bolts depending on the fair lead you use.
Yeah I was afraid the wires might be an issue on the control box. Thanks Sorbs!