Harbor Frieght Winch

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I like the new Apex they have, but at that price point i rather get the smittybilt 12K one. Better warranty and is a company that supports the community.
I ran a smittybilt on my 07 JK. Back then everyone said I was crazy for buying a chinese made winch. That winch was used A LOT and never let me down. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to put one on again, however I believe the Apex is just as good if not better.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I ran a smittybilt on my 07 JK. Back then everyone said I was crazy for buying a chinese made winch. That winch was used A LOT and never let me down. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to put one on again, however I believe the Apex is just as good if not better.
I used my Smittybilt XRC in anger for its first two pulls a few weeks ago. Twice other club Jeeps had to be pulled up hills and over a couple obstacles, and for a fair distance so both pulls were good tests. It yanked them right up and didn't seem to get even a bit warm. My favorite feature, though, is its light 46lb weight.

Chinese products are like anything else. Some are very good and some are very bad.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Yes and no.

Yes, because I had to take the control box apart and relocate the guts, but since I’d done that before it was just keeping track of which wires went where. If you leave the control box intact know that the Apex power wire comes out the back and will rest on the grill.

The bumper is easy to remove but space gets tight when you have the winch mounted on the plate before screwing on the inside the rail bumper nuts. If there’s an easier way to get those nuts on easier, please post up!

The fair lead can be a pain if the bolts are too short. Might need a trip to Home Depot to get longer bolts depending on the fair lead you use.
I see some people saying that they needed to drill new holes in the Skid Plate or it was a real pain in the ass to get bolted back?

Did it lower your front end noticeably?

Do you know the model number for the plate? Apologize for all the questions brother!

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I’m assuming that 9000 Winch would be lighter and smaller than the 12000?

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I see some people saying that they needed to drill new holes in the Skid Plate or it was a real pain in the ass to get bolted back?

Did it lower your front end noticeably?

Do you know the model number for the plate? Apologize for all the questions brother!
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...rbor-freight-winch-install.23358/#post-365183

I did a step by step install for the Gladiator forum. Check it out. Pricing and part numbers are included. And no, no change to the front end.

Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I want to pull the trigger on this but worried about the wires coming out the back instead of the side of the control box. Also the switch hitting the bumper. Warn updated their switch to turn 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees to avoid hitting the bumper.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I want to pull the trigger on this but worried about the wires coming out the back instead of the side of the control box. Also the switch hitting the bumper. Warn updated their switch to turn 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees to avoid hitting the bumper.
Agree but know that it is a single wire. If I were to have kept the control box I’d probably figured a way to relocate it.

Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Well t
Agree but know that it is a single wire. If I were to have kept the control box I’d probably figured a way to relocate it.
Well that makes me feel better about it only being one wire. Do you think it will fit without relocating the wire?

I read that someone used another plate and it came with spacers to raise the Winch so as to avoid the problem with the switch on the warn. I wonder if some type of riser would help you. But you probably would rather just cut the switch then take the Wench back off.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I like how they compare it to the Zeon. My entire garage is HF and I have had zero issues with any of my tools, boxes, impacts, drills, etc. That being said, the Apex winch is 50$ cheaper than a Warn Evo 10S (which is 650$). It comes with a wireless and wired remote and synthetic line. I was going to go with a cheaper winch so I could have one, but if Warn offers something in the 650 range, why not?

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I like how they compare it to the Zeon. My entire garage is HF and I have had zero issues with any of my tools, boxes, impacts, drills, etc. That being said, the Apex winch is 50$ cheaper than a Warn Evo 10S (which is 650$). It comes with a wireless and wired remote and synthetic line. I was going to go with a cheaper winch so I could have one, but if Warn offers something in the 650 range, why not?
That’s what I’m batting back and forth. Is the Evo the Same as the VR?

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
That’s what I’m batting back and forth. Is the Evo the Same as the VR?
I can't really say. I know the Apex is like the "top end" and the Evo is Warn's "standard duty". What I will say is that HF exaggerates pretty heavily. For instance my impact gun is rated to something insane like 900ft*lbs, which I knew was crap but it does about 300, which for a 120$ electric impact is all I wanted. So that winch, which is rated for 12,000lbs might not hit it (it could), but I KNOW the Warn will do the 10,000 it's rated for.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Well this just puts a wrench in everyone’s theory that Warn is better because it’s American Made! It pisses me off!!! I try and support American made every chance I get! But couldn’t justify paying Double for possibly the same Winch at HF.

I was actually thinking of going with the cheaper warn and now I see this!!!!!

https://www.roundforge.com/articles/warn-vr-vs-warn-vr-evo-winch/
Sponsored