Sponsored

Harbor Freight Predator generators: anybody have one?

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Where do you live in TX? I'm East of Baytown (Mont Belvieu) and got gas for my generator yesterday. Just waiting on the double whammy.
5 or 10 minutes from you. Lol. I was in Mont Belvieu yesterday. I’m in Baytown.
Sponsored

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Ted I just have to say ..You are such a positive voice on this site, you are always willing to help, give advice and share your incredible journeys with your beautiful wife! Thank you for being you!! You are a great guy, and everything you contribute is appreciated honestly!
Thank you.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
From my knowledge, most small engine tools (generators lawn equipment, pressure washers, etc) are pretty much using the same engines and parts, doesn't matter which brand unless you get something like Honda.

More importantly than what you buy, make sure you run it every few months under load. Basically, think of it as a fire drill - I hook up my generator to my house every few months and run it for an hour or 2.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@wibornz Ted: I second that your posts are invariably useful and entertaining/uplifting.

Thanks for your review of the Predator 3500. I was thinking of getting it as a backup to my similarly configured Yamaha. I'm glad to know you approve of it. It falls into a class of generators know as inverters (Honda, Yamaha and Champion among others have similar inverter and non-inverter offerings.)

Inverter generators, while they cost more per watt produced, invariably not only operate more quietly than similar wattage non-inverter generators, but produce "cleaner" power that some electronic devices need.

(Cleaner: an oscilloscope sees smoother sine waves given that inverters convert AC power to DC and then back...long story.)

I am though to understand though Ted that this unit has electric start as well, so pull cord starts, while always acceptable, may not be necessary.

@Chocolate Thunder : I could write books on this subject matter. Rather, let me be very specific to your needs. Especially since you plan on using the generator at home, if your utility supplies natural gas, or you already have a large propane tank on your property, I strongly recommend that you covert whatever generator you get to run on this fuel as well.

I bear no relationship with US Carburetion but am a happy client. They, along with competitors, sell kits (or generators already converted) to run on 3 fuels: propane, natural gas and gasoline.

Gasoline over time, whether inside or apart from the generator it runs in gums up. This eventually affects operation. You typically have to store lots of gasoline for the next utility power outage, as many gas stations don't themselves have generators, and therefore don't pump gas when the utility isn't supplying power. Siphoning it off your vehicles is doable but difficult in later model vehicles with anti siphoning devices.

Then, gasoline stabilizers notwithstanding, you have to use that stored gasoline in other things in a FIFO way, like in your vehicles, refilling cans, to keep your stockpile fresh. Gasoline smells, I'm told it has a shelf life of about 6 months, and the last thing you want to do at 3AM is hot fill your generator with gasoline. This is why mission critical institutions run diesel (which smells and has to be refilled like gasoline) or natural gas backup power plants.

On the downside, BBQ size propane tanks don't last much longer than a tank of gasoline, and in order of most to least energy by volume, gasoline, propane, and natural gas contain the most to least BTUs, not that the difference is much noticable.

I converted my generator myself with a kit and I'm reasonable handy, not gifted in this area, and would certainly do the same if I got the Predator. It actually makes things simpler as you bypass the carburetor when running gaseous (propane/natural gas) fuels. The carburetor remains intact though to run gasoline and mix it with air as necessary in (not fuel injected) simpler than vehicle's internal combustion engines.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@wibornz Ted: I second that your posts are invariably useful and entertaining/uplifting.

Thanks for your review of the Predator 3500. I was thinking of getting it as a backup to my similarly configured Yamaha. I'm glad to know you approve of it.

I am though to understand that it has electric start as well, so pull cord starts, while always acceptable, may not be necessary.

@Chocolate Thunder : I could write books on this subject matter. Rather, let me be very specific to your needs. Especially since you plan on using the generator at home, if your utility supplies natural gas, or you already have a large propane tank on your property, I strongly recommend that you covert whatever generator you get to run on this fuel as well.

I bear no relationship with US Carburetion but am a happy client. They, along with competitors, sell kits (or generators already converted) to run on 3 fuels: propane, natural gas and gasoline.

Gasoline over time, whether inside or apart from the generator it runs in gums up. This eventually affects operation. You typically have to store lots of gasoline for the next utility power outage, as many gas stations don't themselves have generators, and therefore don't pump gas when the utility isn't supplying power. Siphoning it off your vehciles, is doable but difficult in later model vehicles with anti siphoning devices.

Then, gasoline stabilizers notwithstanding you have to use that sored gasoline in other things in a FIFO way, like in your vehicles, refilling cans, to keep your stockpile fresh. Gasoline smells, I'm told it has a shelf life of about 6 months, and the last thing you want to do at 3AM is hot fill your generator with gasoline. This is while mission critical institutions run diesel (which smells and has to be refilled like gasoline) or natural gas backup power plants.

On the downside, BBQ size propane tanks don't last much longer than a tank of gasoline, and in order of most to least energy by volume, gasoline, propane, and natural gas contain the most to least BTUs.

I converted my generator myself with a kit and I'm reasonable handy, not gifted in this area, and would certainly do the same if I got the Predator. It actually makes things simpler as you bypass the carburetor when running gaseous fuels. The carburetor remains intact though to run gasoline and mix it with air as necessary in (not fuel injected) simpler than vehicle's internal combustion engines.
Thanks. Some excellent thoughts, particularly on the multi fuel conversion. Yes, o have natural gas. And I also have access to propane through my work for free. I hadn’t thought about conversion but will definitely look into it.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thanks. Some excellent thoughts, particularly on the multi fuel conversion. Yes, o have natural gas. And I also have access to propane through my work for free. I hadn’t thought about conversion but will definitely look into it.
..then for you given its unlimited supply from the utility, and the energy for its flow not coming from the electric utility, the fact that neither gaseous fuel goes bad and that the natural gas doesn't require storage, and that if running propane you are unlikely in your Texas to deal with issues of propane flowing in cold weather, and that it creates less fumes, it's a slam dunk.

Some generators are designed from factory to run on multiple fuels.

Good luck!

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. I guess I should be more specific. I’m looking for a generator thats useful to power my home in the event of a prolonged power outage. Or at least the essential things.
Then I would definitely go with a Generac. More money than you want to spend, but natural gas, kicks on automatically during a power outage. Around $11k installed.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I don’t think I’ll need that; I’m going to set it up in the walk in closet in my master bedroom so that it won’t be too loud but I can have it close by while we sleep.
@Chocolate Thunder CT; I'm almost certain from the subsequent thread that the above was not serious. As a safety professional, but I will share for the masses, you certainly realize that ICEs (Internal Combustion Engines) give off noxious things as a result of combustion, perhaps the most concerning for us being carbon monoxide.

This molecule, in its greater affinity for your body's hemoglobin than oxygen, is deadly in high enough concentrations and necessitates that ICE generators vent to the outdoors.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Then I would definitely go with a Generac. More money than you want to spend, but natural gas, kicks on automatically during a power outage. Around $11k installed.
I’ve looked into them a few times but never pulled the trigger due to excessive cost vs the relatively few times it will ever be needed. I think it’s only been 2 or 3 times in 18 years that power has been out for more than a day where I live. I know there is potential, but due to our proximity to critical energy infrastructure we are often the first to have power restored.

Also I just paid for a full kitchen remodel, followed by an unexpected complete replacement of my central HVAC a week later. Yikes. < $1K is more in line with what I can handle right now.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
It's an excellent point. The real cost of whole home generators, adjusted for inflation, has come down considerably in the last 15 years.

They've become more a home accessory, particular in new construction, whose larger production rates, through innovation and economies of scale have brought their cost down.

Further, their ability to automatically start and stop means that if you're away during an outage you're not likely to come home to bad food in the refrigerator, etc. Portable generators with electric starts *can* be set up similarly but its a bit to do.

Such home units do though often require a concrete slab to sit on, building permits, an electrician, a plumber, and (often built into the price) an automatic transfer switch. Some locales have strict rules on their noise and placement before a permit will be issued.

One more thing, many locales require certain appliances to be hard wired to the home's electrical system (e.g. furnace sparker, electric heat, sink disposal, whole house A/C). This means no extension cord coming from an portable generator will be able to energize them without some form of transfer switch (automatic or manual) into which such an energized extension cord can plug its distal female end into.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
So much depends on what you want - I learned after Irma that I'd just like to run my fridge / ice maker and sleep with A/C. Nothing short of $3,000 is going to run my whole house A/C, so I have a portable A/C for the bedroom and a 6000W generator. I have it backfed into the panel with an interlock. If I lose power, I don't need to run 100% of the time, maybe just an hour hear and there to cool the fridge, then from 7pm to 1am to run the TV and cool the bedroom.

In a power outage, I'll still have some uncomfortableness, but I won't have to dump the food in my fridge or sleep in a 90 degree room like I did after Irma ;)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
i own 2 small Honda generators. 1 is 2000 watts and 1 is 4000 watts. Never a failure or problem. The little one is lightweight and easy to take anywhere.
both are attached to 4 wheel carts. Being so portable it’s great to roll around the yard for electric chain saws, trimmers and any other tools needed.
My electric service is very poor and we do get power outages sometimes for 4-5 hours. I keep the bigger one ready to roll and it easily takes care of the fridge and some lights as well as enough for keeping phones charged.
The little one rolls up next to the basement window and i have a extension cord sitting there ready to plug in and wired to the furnace (not AC, but for winter heat) and the sump pump.
I have owned Predators, Generex, Honeywell etc that. we’re used for portable audio systems and just proved unreliable. The Hondas are more but I have never experienced a failure. When a cheap one won’t start the cost is insignificant.
Sponsored