Sponsored

Harbor Freight Predator generators: anybody have one?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have not had a portable gas powered generator at home for years, the last one I had was “reappropriated” by someone I let use it after one of the storms.

Do any of you have one of the Predator generators from Harbor Freight? Which one? How has it worked for you?
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
No but I did pick this one at Amazon when researching. WEN GN4500 4500-Watt 212cc Transfer Switch and RV-Ready Portable Generator, CARB Compliant
It was rated well for the money $309. Still in the box and it won't be openned till needed, if ever.

https://generatorbible.com/generators/wen/gn4500/

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I have not had a portable gas powered generator at home for years, the last one I had was “reappropriated” by someone I let use it after one of the storms.

Do any of you have one of the Predator generators from Harbor Freight? Which one? How has it worked for you?
I was headed down the same road... see here.

I decided to get this Generac for just a couple of hundred extra bucks, instead. They keep selling out, but then stock comes back a few days later. Keep checking, if interested.

No matter what you decide to buy, be sure you understand how to put your generator info “floating neutral” before you plug it into your house wiring. (And please don’t do that by back-feeding through a dryer outlet. Get a real transfer switch or interlock kit installed by an electrician.)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I own the Predator 3500 watt inverter generator. It works fantastic. It is super quiet. You can literally talk at a normal volume while standing next to it. It runs 10+ hours on a tank of fuel running the air conditioner and powering my camper. It is about 100 pounds full of fuel. It starts easy even in zero degree weather.

I don't have a single complaint. Even the wheel locks so it will not roll around when in the back of the Jeep.

This is the one I have.

Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Predator generators: anybody have one? 1598223419727

It is also super easy to start. It always starts on the first or second pull of the rope. I am sure that even a small child could most likely pull start this. I have been using it on Jeep camping trips for over a year now. I would not hesitate to buy it again. I did catch it on sale for 600 something....

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I own the Predator 3500 watt inverter generator. It works fantastic. It is super quiet. You can literally talk at a normal volume while standing next to it. It runs 10+ hours on a tank of fuel running the air conditioner and powering my camper. It is about 100 pounds full of fuel. It starts easy even in zero degree weather.

I don't have a single complaint. Even the wheel locks so it will not roll around when in the back of the Jeep.

This is the one I have.

Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Predator generators: anybody have one? 1598223419727

It is also super easy to start. It always starts on the first or second pull of the rope. I am sure that even a small child could most likely pull start this. I have been using it on Jeep camping trips for over a year now. I would not hesitate to buy it again. I did catch it on sale for 600 something....
Thanks. I guess I should be more specific. I’m looking for a generator thats useful to power my home in the event of a prolonged power outage. Or at least the essential things.

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Ted I just have to say ..You are such a positive voice on this site, you are always willing to help, give advice and share your incredible journeys with your beautiful wife! Thank you for being you!! You are a great guy, and everything you contribute is appreciated honestly!

BumpDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Thanks. I guess I should be more specific. I’m looking for a generator thats useful to power my home in the event of a prolonged power outage. Or at least the essential things.
I have a friend that has 3 Predator generators and swears by them. Never a problem.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda does make a 7000 watt inverter generator. Awesome machine, if you have $5k to spend!

Remember that an L14-30 maxes out at 7500 watts. The Predator is 7250, so perfect for what you want to do. If you need more power (to run central A/C, for example), you’ll need a 50 watt inlet and interlock. At that point you’re better with a whole house setup, though... at least that’s my opinion.

I’ve had mixed results with HF. Ultimately, an extra $200 was worth it for me to not worry about quality. Remember, the Predator 9000 does not come with a battery or a wheel kit, so add those into the cost. That said, I was soooo close to buying one, and all the reviews I found were positive.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, leave room in your budget for one of these:

Running Cover Universal Kit for Standard Edition 3000-Watt to 10000-Watt Portable Generators

https://www.homedepot.com/p/305587483

When power goes out, rain/snow are usually a factor...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Oh, leave room in your budget for one of these:

Running Cover Universal Kit for Standard Edition 3000-Watt to 10000-Watt Portable Generators

https://www.homedepot.com/p/305587483

When power goes out, rain/snow are usually a factor...
I don’t think I’ll need that; I’m going to set it up in the walk in closet in my master bedroom so that it won’t be too loud but I can have it close by while we sleep.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think I’ll need that; I’m going to set it up in the walk in closet in my master bedroom so that it won’t be too loud but I can have it close by while we sleep.
Wut. That’s a joke, right? You can NOT run a generator indoors. Ever. Not even for a minute. Not even in the garage with the bay open.

Pretty sure you’re pulling my leg, but, if not, please read: https://www.cdc.gov/co/generatorsafetyfactsheet.html

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Wut. That’s a joke, right? You can NOT run a generator indoors. Ever. Not even for a minute. Not even in the garage with the bay open.

Pretty sure you’re pulling my leg, but, if not, please read: https://www.cdc.gov/co/generatorsafetyfactsheet.html
Yeah dude. I know that sarcasm doesn’t always translate well over the internet, but I thought that one was a no brainer that I was joking.

I’ve been a safety professional for almost 30 years.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah dude. I know that sarcasm doesn’t always translate well over the internet, but I thought that one was a no brainer that I was joking.

Phew! I was 99.99% sure, but there are some ignoramuses out there... after every big storm there are a few news stories about whole families dying. Sad.

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020

Where do you live in TX? I'm East of Baytown (Mont Belvieu) and got gas for my generator yesterday. Just waiting on the double whammy.
Sponsored