Sponsored

Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price

Bootloot

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 4 dr, 4 cy.
There is a writeup on this over on the Gladiator Forum. That cover is not sealed so just drilling a new 3/4" hole on the side and running the power cable through the side eliminates the possibility of having the wiring rub on the grill, it also eliminates the need to redrilll new mounting holes in the bumper. I took the cover off and took pics of the wiring before disconnecting everything and then used a 3/4" drill bit to drill the new hole in the cover. After that I just reassembled everything and all was good.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...arbor-freight-winch-install.23358/post-495097
I so wished I had known about this before I installed mine. A much easier and elegant solution than what I ended up doing.
Sponsored

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I so wished I had known about this before I installed mine. A much easier and elegant solution than what I ended up doing.
I installed the winch first and didnt like the wiring againist the grill so I made the change. You dont have to remove the winch to do the modification. Just need to be able to take the top cover off and unscrew the wiring from the winch. I drill my cover on my workbench and then put it all back together.

str8cruzin

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR (2.0T)
I am going to be trying an install of the Apex Badland winch on my Rubicon steel bumper very soon along with a Maximus 3 winch plate & fillers. Since the Poison Spyder spacers are out of stock I ordered some of these from Rugged Ridge.

https://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge...gged+ridge+spacer+winch&qid=1620445708&sr=8-1

I have everything I need except the winch plate which I am waiting for in the mail from Maximus. If the Rugged Ridge spacers work and do not require grinding of the free spool lever I will report back with some pictures. The spacers are exactly 3/4" thick whereas the Poison Spyders are 3/16" thick and am hoping that they do not raise the winch too much where it makes contact with the top of the bumper. It also came with some additional bolts which I hope will work with the winch and accommodate the increased height.

Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price rugged-ridge-spacers

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I’m mid-instal and don’t remember if I saw anything here. Does anyone have a good mounting point for the cutoff switch? I’ve had a good experience so far, including relocating the hole for the power cable. I don’t want to blow it at the end.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I think mine is just laying next to the battery and the body of the jeep. I put the bottom cover on it so metal wasn’t exposed but otherwise the stiff wires kinda hold it in place. I guess I should find a way to mount it but didn’t see a real reason too.

balbright18

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just finished install, love it. Went with the rock hard 4x4 winch plate because of some suggestions on here and the gladiator forums instead of the Warn. It was cheaper and instock so that was a plus! Had no issues with fitment, both with the positive wire out the back and with the engage/freespool lever. Haven't had to test it but looks great and easy install.
Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price 20210509_194854

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
Did you use any spacers with it? Do you have a link?

Just finished install, love it. Went with the rock hard 4x4 winch plate because of some suggestions on here and the gladiator forums instead of the Warn. It was cheaper and instock so that was a plus! Had no issues with fitment, both with the positive wire out the back and with the engage/freespool lever. Haven't had to test it but looks great and easy install.
Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price 20210509_194854

balbright18

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Sponsored

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimted Sport
Got tired of waiting for the Badland to go on sale, so I just went with the Warn VR EVO 10S. Paid, more but very happy with it. Fits perfectly, did not have to do any cutting.

what ARB bumper model is this? nice setup!

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimted Sport
has anyone installed this winch on an EVO Quarter Pounder?