Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price

OC4X4

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JLUR
I am wondering this too. I have the same bumper and I've been waiting to install it based on my winch purchase (ARB advises to install a winch prior to installing the bumper.

Did you ever try the install?
Got tired of waiting for the Badland to go on sale, so I just went with the Warn VR EVO 10S. Paid, more but very happy with it. Fits perfectly, did not have to do any cutting.

img_0605-jpeg.jpg
Sponsored

jcole4020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! '18 Wrangler JL Sport
Got tired of waiting for the Badland to go on sale, so I just went with the Warn VR EVO 10S. Paid, more but very happy with it. Fits perfectly, did not have to do any cutting.

Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price img_0605-jpe

Thanks - Awesome set up! Can't wait to get this bumper on!

stuzor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ
Inside Track Folks got first crack at it and their deal ends April 8th. Everyone can get it April 9-11th. Download the Harbor Freight App and it is part of their Spring Black Friday listings .
Thanks, I saw that pop up the next day. Picked it up today. I ordered my jlu back in February and hopefully am picking it up next week so this was perfect timing haha

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Will this Harbor Freight Winch fit in my JK’s factory steel bumper without any cutting or modifications?
Does it come with a mounting plate?

T4STE

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oswachiart.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
after waiting for weeks, I saw this today. the day after it expired :(

Sponsored

Bootloot

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 4 dr, 4 cy.
I just purchased the Apex 12000 and am going to pair it with the Grimm Offroad Steel Bumper Winch Plate. I put in an order for the winch plate and am waiting for it to arrive. I'll come back and post on my experience once I get it all installed.

Bootloot

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 4 dr, 4 cy.
I just purchased the Apex 12000 and am going to pair it with the Grimm Offroad Steel Bumper Winch Plate. I put in an order for the winch plate and am waiting for it to arrive. I'll come back and post on my experience once I get it all installed.
UPDATE: I received my Grimm Offroad Winch Plate for use with the stock steel bumper on a JL jeep. I spent the weekend installing both the winch plate and the winch.

On the Grimm Offroad winch plate. The winch plate is great. (see attached pic) Very easy to install and the instructions were excellent. I appreciate that its a single piece vs several different pieces like the Warn winch plate. The front skid plate reinstalled easily, no need for modifying the bolt holes. Install a breeze. Quality seems very good. That said, there were some fitment issues with using this particular winch plate with the Badlands winch.

First, because of the location of power cable (the red/positive cable) that comes out of the control box on the winch, you can't seat the winch over the bolt holes on the winch plate. The power cable pushes the winch too far forward without pushing the front grill or pinching the power cable at a very severe angle. (See attached pics) My solution was to extend the existing holes forward by grinding them out. I would say, I moved them somewhere between a 1/4" to 1/2 forward. This allowed me to seat the winch with some space between grill and the power cable. Its still touching, but its no longer pushing in the grill or pinching the power cable.

Second, the clutch lever does rub against the steel bumper. You can still engage it, but you will eventually rub off the powder coating on the bumper. You either have to place a spacer between the winch plate and the winch to raise it or grind down the clutch lever. I decided to grind down the clutch lever. Again, a pain in the butt, but relatively simple to do.

Overall, everything worked, but it took some modifications to both the winch and the winch plate. Ideally, everything would have just worked. However, nothing I experienced was a deal breaker.

Cable After.jpg

Clutch Lever After 1.jpg

Clutch Lever After 2.jpg

Clutch Lever Before 1.jpg

Clutch Lever Before 2.jpg

Finished Product.jpg

Bingman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s
Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price 150D286F-D6FF-4592-A366-2FFC343FAD0E
Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price 3602CA98-EE21-4906-9416-419514EEBF00
Purchased this winch last time it was on sale. My rugged ridge bumper arrived yesterday so I got everything on today. If the winch was any bigger it would not have fit on this bumper without elongating the winch mount holes because of how close to the grille it is. I’m happy with the way it turned out though.

Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Interesting 🤔
one winch has the wire coming out the rear (Bootloot), the other out the left side (Bingman)
Why?

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting 🤔
one winch has the wire coming out the rear (Bootloot), the other out the left side (Bingman)
Why?
I did the same thing to mine. They don’t come that way. I cut a hole in mine on that side as well and sealed it afterwards to help make it fit. Mine wouldn’t fit otherwise.

Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price 6A613539-9AAC-4F33-B02C-0973140CAED9

Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price E9509351-ADB8-4381-AEF6-DBFC33C46033

cornholio8

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2008 Taco TRD
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Just got it today and already installed it. Almost F'd it up but it's all good now.
Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price E9509351-ADB8-4381-AEF6-DBFC33C46033
I have this same setup ready to install. Did you happen to use the winch spacers that came with bumper for warn Xeon? Or did you bolt straight to bumper? Are you experiencing any issues with spool?

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Interesting 🤔
Why?
There is a writeup on this over on the Gladiator Forum. That cover is not sealed so just drilling a new 3/4" hole on the side and running the power cable through the side eliminates the possibility of having the wiring rub on the grill, it also eliminates the need to redrilll new mounting holes in the bumper. I took the cover off and took pics of the wiring before disconnecting everything and then used a 3/4" drill bit to drill the new hole in the cover. After that I just reassembled everything and all was good.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...arbor-freight-winch-install.23358/post-495097
Sponsored