Sponsored

Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
Hi all, great thread. Just installed mine today/tonight on a steel oem bumper using the rock hard 4x4 winch plate (read about in the gladiator forum) . No issues with clutch handle clearance or skid plate holes lining up. Decided not to rerun the hot wire out the side, and that is very tight on the grill.

Still need to wire it up tomorrow. Did have one small issue, the welded on nut at the rear of the winch plate is painted along with the rest, and I couldn't get the support bolt to thread in, started to strip the bolt. Not pulling the bumper back off now, I'm thinking I'll pick up a tap and chase it.

20210129_211407.jpg

20210129_230255.jpg

20210129_230319.jpg

20210129_230341.jpg
Did you powder coat the fairlead? Looks great!!
Sponsored

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Gosh, I just noticed that the Mopar winch & Grill Guard is not fitting on the Badland winch.

@Rico1111 @BamaJeep

What bull bar do you have? - The Warn Guard Tube, Low height?

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Jens, the one I used was the Warn low height ... which is actually like a middle size compared to the mopar.

Sponsored

becma27

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Did you powder coat the fairlead? Looks great!!
Nah, cheaper, truck bed liner aerosol. Love the look, scratched a bit the 2nd time I tensioned the line when the hook went to far. I got a factor 55 hook this week though, which has rubber pads, so it hides the small scuff I had and doesn't mark it up more.

becma27

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stupid question probably, but how do I lock the winch or the engage handle so someone can't turn it to free spool and pull it out and cut my line to take my hook? I noticed my boys the other day messing with the frees pool handle and thought about this.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Stupid question probably, but how do I lock the winch or the engage handle so someone can't turn it to free spool and pull it out and cut my line to take my hook? I noticed my boys the other day messing with the frees pool handle and thought about this.
Just let these guys watch it for ya :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price 1613448209352

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thought about this also. I don’t think there’s a specific way.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Got this Winch installed a few days ago.

I used the Artec 1/4” Plate.

Also purchased the Maximus-3 Stealth license plate relocation bracket due to CA law-_-

I also used 2 stainless steel 3/16” square spacers in series under the winch where each bolt goes to make the winch sit 3/8” higher and allow the winch lever to completely rotate without issue.

Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price C44A462C-1070-4D98-A4E9-FEC67B747F27

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about the handle but if you are worried about the winch itself, try one of these.

Factor 55 Lock

becma27

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure about the handle but if you are worried about the winch itself, try one of these.

Factor 55 Lock
Thanks, those are cool, but with my winch buried in the OEM steel bumper, I'm not worried about a thief trying for the winch. But with the factor 55 ultrahook on the front, even cinched up tightly, all it takes is a quick turn of the lever to freespool, pull out a foot or so, and cut the synthetic line and they are off. I think for now I'll remove the lever.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks, those are cool, but with my winch buried in the OEM steel bumper, I'm not worried about a thief trying for the winch. But with the factor 55 ultrahook on the front, even cinched up tightly, all it takes is a quick turn of the lever to freespool, pull out a foot or so, and cut the synthetic line and they are off. I think for now I'll remove the lever.
You will need to find a plug with the same diameter to cover the hole if you remove the lever because you definitely do not want any water/dirt/gunk to get into that hole and into all the lubed gears inside the winch.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
If you aren’t tracking, harbor freight is doing 10% off anything in the store and 20% if you are track member. I used the 20% and bought a new Apex winch today.

Now to wait for my new bumper to come in the mail so I can install this thing.

6DDE62AE-E2B5-481C-9552-290AB87925D5.jpeg

stuzor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ
The poison spacers seem to be sold out everywhere. Does anyone have any other recommendations? I'm looking at the apex with the maximus winch plate with the stock steel bumper.
Sponsored