psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have the Badlands winch in a Motobilt Crusher Front bumper?
I have not, but I was looking at the bumper online just now and it's pretty nice. My only concern would be the power wire sticks straight out of the back of the control box on the winch. My bumper came with spacers to move the bumper forward, away from the grill and I was just able to make it work with those spacers. My power wire is push tightly into the grill and will possibly scuff it a bit overtime, but I'm not concerned since replacing the grill isn't that big of a deal and will likely keep the Jeep and bumper/winch together if I ever sell it. I know you can move the control box, but I couldn't think of a good location.
One thing for the install. I saw several places state the "larger warn winches" will not fit through the frame horns. So the bumper must be mounted first. The Apex does fit through the frame horns, so you can mount the winch to the bumper on the ground, then mount them to the Jeep. It makes it a lot easier. Good Luck.
Sponsored

Graceme123

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S
I have not, but I was looking at the bumper online just now and it's pretty nice. My only concern would be the power wire sticks straight out of the back of the control box on the winch. My bumper came with spacers to move the bumper forward, away from the grill and I was just able to make it work with those spacers. My power wire is push tightly into the grill and will possibly scuff it a bit overtime, but I'm not concerned since replacing the grill isn't that big of a deal and will likely keep the Jeep and bumper/winch together if I ever sell it. I know you can move the control box, but I couldn't think of a good location.
One thing for the install. I saw several places state the "larger warn winches" will not fit through the frame horns. So the bumper must be mounted first. The Apex does fit through the frame horns, so you can mount the winch to the bumper on the ground, then mount them to the Jeep. It makes it a lot easier. Good Luck.
I ran my power wire out the side. I just used a step bit and drilled it out. I didn't like the wire coming out the back against the grill.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I ran my power wire out the side. I just used a step bit and drilled it out. I didn't like the wire coming out the back against the grill.
I should have done that!

Sparky1352

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Recon
Apex Winch is on sale now for $550 until 8/18/20. I'm curious if they will accept the 20% coupon which brings it to $440 + tax
They won’t. I tried to do so online and it said the item wasn’t eligible for the coupon. The fine print On the coupon says it cannot be used on items that are already discounted. I’d wait until the discount ends on 19 Aug and use the coupon for $120 off list price.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
They won’t. I tried to do so online and it said the item wasn’t eligible for the coupon. The fine print On the coupon says it cannot be used on items that are already discounted. I’d wait until the discount ends on 19 Aug and use the coupon for $120 off list price.
Also HF brings out their 25% off one day coupons a few times a year, Labor Day might be one of those times :)

Sponsored

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
Apex Winch is on sale now for $550 until 8/18/20. I'm curious if they will accept the 20% coupon which brings it to $440 + tax
Sorry, the coupon code 23637148 does not apply to the item(s) in your cart.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
I got my cover like yours and installed it yesterday but I wasn't sure what those pull strings were for. I was able to get the elastic straps around the winch body, but those pull strings I can figure out what to do with them. Did you use those?
I believe that I ran them under the sides of the winch beside the big elastic straps and pulled them tight at the rear of the winch. I think this is to tighten the cover to the winch without relying on the elastic straps only. Then I just tucked the pulled ends around and under the strings to keep the ends from flopping around.

kingjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Do you have any pics? Just picked mine up and want to do the same thanks!!

Sponsored

P&PJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

After nearly two months, my winch arrived. I installed it today and it went smoothly.
Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12,000# Winch Lower Price 30596090
Any clearance issue with the wire coming out the control box back? I am looking at the LOD short bumper with the same winch. Good looking Jeep...

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
No, the wire bends pretty tightly but no issues.

AdvEddie

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Rubicon EcoDiesel -15 Ram 2500 Cummins Mega
Working on that this weekend. I took everything out of the top cover. I only have the relay now, it should fit between the fender and battery. The wireless controller looks like it will go under the passenger side cowl cover. Wireless switch and wire plug will go under passenger side front seat on a bracket. I'll get some pics soon.
Stupid question but how did you get the top control box off? I want to take it off to drill and re-route the cable but after undoing the four bolts it still doesn't want to come off. The one end with the connections doesn't release. Do I have to undo the bolts for all the connections to remove it?

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Stupid question but how did you get the top control box off? I want to take it off to drill and re-route the cable but after undoing the four bolts it still doesn't want to come off. The one end with the connections doesn't release. Do I have to undo the bolts for all the connections to remove it?
You do have to remove those. Reason why, the wire connecting the box to the motor are flat wide metal wires that don’t bend very easily. So you’ll have to remove them to get the box off. Not hard though, remove the few on the top of the motor and the box will release off the top.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Yes, the 3 battery terminals will need to to be removed.
Going to have the positive cable come out the side, instead of the rear for more grill space?
Sponsored