peteinny

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Is it worth considering the Apex Badlands 12k winch? It costs about 1/3 of what a warn might cost. Not something I would use very often but would like to have just in case. Any feedback on quality for a $500 winch? Thanks
Sponsored

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
If you search I believe there’s a really good thread about this winch. I’ll see if I could find it.

Gmarantos

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Is it worth considering the Apex Badlands 12k winch? It costs about 1/3 of what a warn might cost. Not something I would use very often but would like to have just in case. Any feedback on quality for a $500 winch? Thanks
I have had this wench for a little over two weeks and not only does it look good sitting on the front end of your jeep, but after testing it out and seeing what it can do I can tell you that I think that Harbor freight has come up with a really good product.

IMG_5176.jpg

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Looks good. I see Tractor Supply has a wince for $415 too. Might have to look into that.

Last edited:

BasherXt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Rubicon on order
I have had this wench for a little over two weeks and not only does it look good sitting on the front end of your jeep, but after testing it out and seeing what it can do I can tell you that I think that Harbor freight has come up with a really good product.

Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Apex Badlands 12k winch question IMG_5176
@Gmarantos Did you have any issues with the engage lever hitting or rubbing or have to trim it? In the other post I was reading several where having issues and having to trim lever or leave out a bolt. Yours looks to fit nicely? What mount and spacers did you use? Oh and what winch/ grill guard is that?

WhiteGold

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR White
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar OEM steel bumper with Rusty's Offroad Winch plate and the Badlands 12k Synthetic winch fits completely (very snug and fills up any extra space in the winch area.

20200830_170338[1].jpg

rkan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 VW GTI Autobahn
Mopar OEM steel bumper with Rusty's Offroad Winch plate and the Badlands 12k Synthetic winch fits completely (very snug and fills up any extra space in the winch area.

Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Apex Badlands 12k winch question 20200830_170338[1]
So, no problems with the lever hitting the bolt? It also seems that the hoop is nowhere near getting in the way. What grill gaurd is that?

rkan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 VW GTI Autobahn
@Gmarantos Did you have any issues with the engage lever hitting or rubbing or have to trim it? In the other post I was reading several where having issues and having to trim lever or leave out a bolt. Yours looks to fit nicely? What mount and spacers did you use? Oh and what winch/ grill guard is that?
Ditto on that question.

Sponsored

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Great winch, works flawlessly. It is a little big so you might have issues depending on the front bumper you are using. I made my own front bumper not knowing how the winch would fit with all the bumpers on the market. The quality is amazing.

1F154DE9-4761-458F-BE45-1DFE774070B7.jpeg

E6D530A1-B276-449F-B31C-DD2B36F12DD6.jpeg

FC61B68B-175E-4A0F-AA44-6FD3290194C4.jpeg

WhiteGold

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR White
Vehicle Showcase
So, no problems with the lever hitting the bolt? It also seems that the hoop is nowhere near getting in the way. What grill gaurd is that?
Maximus3 stinger. Only issue I've seen is so tight for wires on backside of winch/ grill. Otherwise no issues and works great!

Grayson

First Name
Gray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - Sting Ray

Jeep Wrangler JL Harbor Freight Apex Badlands 12k winch question FC61B68B-175E-4A0F-AA44-6FD3290194C4
So just to clarify, you didn’t need to do anything extra other than purchase the rusty’s winch plate? All included hardware was sufficient?

WhiteGold

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR White
Vehicle Showcase
So just to clarify, you didn’t need to do anything extra other than purchase the rusty’s winch plate? All included hardware was sufficient?
Rusty's winchplate came with hardware. Winch came with hardware. Only thing I had to add was a few zip ties ( also from Harbor Freight) on the wiring.

Grayson

First Name
Gray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - Sting Ray
Rusty's winchplate came with hardware. Winch came with hardware. Only thing I had to add was a few zip ties ( also from Harbor Freight) on the wiring.
Thank you! I was undecided if I want to do warm plate with spacers but sounds like rustys plate is plug and play.
Sponsored