Sponsored

Hanging a Hammock From a Roof Rack

sdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'd like to find a setup for hanging a hammock off the side of my JLU without relying on trees and am wondering if anyone here has done that. I'm imagining a pair of 2-3ft arms that swing out or roll out from a roof rack and lock perpendicular to the vehicle so that I can string up a hammock between them. I'm sure I could rig something up myself with some steel bars, or maybe there's an awning that can support that kind of weight. I haven't bought a roof rack yet so I've got a blank slate and any suggestions are game!
Sponsored

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I've found probably the cheapest hammock stand I've ever seen for an automotive application. I know it's the opposite of what you're looking for, but I don't think you'll find a better solution for treeless hammocking for the price. Good luck.

Hammock stand on eBay

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of what I’ve come across are stands that utilize the hitch but none of them seem to fold into sizes that make for easy travel. I too have been looking up options and came across Kammock earlier in the week. Similar to what Abe showed above but a bit pricey with no long term testing yet so not sure if the price is worth it.

I’m still debating if I want something that attaches to the Jeep or something I can move around it.

https://kammok.com/collections/stan...portable-hammock-stand?variant=31620110614582

Niffer

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sante Fe—Putting order in this weekend for Rubicon
I’ve been looking for some sort of hammock setup for when we go to the beach. I came across this, and am on the fence. Did you ever find something you like?
Jeep Wrangler JL Hanging a Hammock From a Roof Rack 4F06C14C-2199-4A6E-9344-3CF6F37A2C48

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'd like to find a setup for hanging a hammock off the side of my JLU without relying on trees and am wondering if anyone here has done that. I'm imagining a pair of 2-3ft arms that swing out or roll out from a roof rack and lock perpendicular to the vehicle so that I can string up a hammock between them. I'm sure I could rig something up myself with some steel bars, or maybe there's an awning that can support that kind of weight. I haven't bought a roof rack yet so I've got a blank slate and any suggestions are game!

Well....if any suggestions are game then let's consider the "Cadillac of solutions."

1) Choose this roof rack LOD Base Roof Rack with this accessory Fully cantilevering accessory (with adjustable spacing cross members) and

2) Brace it in the fully cantilevered position with this simple hack of vertical poles at each end, hang the hammock from the cross member and "call it a day." Bracing fully cantilevered rack

Clearly there are far more practical and less expensive options. I guess the point is that if your already in the market for a roof rack, want the best, and have money to burn (and don't we all during COVID which has made us all rich;)) then this is an option.

Alternatively, with another rack, check out some of the Steel-tek Hardware of the immediately prior link for hardware and pipe that might serve your purposes (e.g. Single Swivel Socket .)

Last edited:

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
A little different than what you were talking about but what I’m looking at getting.

A7748CD7-57FE-4426-81CA-572CA42ABE73.png
Sponsored