Handy Flag Kit Install/Review

Zero_Accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Hi guys, I've wandered over from our extra long wheelbase sister forum and I just wanted to share a neat bit of kit I found, via a copy pasta special (These pictures are a bit out of date btw, my Jeep looks quite a bit different now):

TLDR: So for anyone out there who wants a safety flag kit that is easy to take on/off and store, I would highly recommend this kit: Willy's Handy Flag Kit. Now I know that its more than the $15 Amazon specials, but even at $55 its still pretty good, you get a well made flag, a quick decoupler, and a collapsing flag pole that easily stores under the rear seat (or in the rear storage tub in your situation), plus there are other designs available. Some pics bellow.

The kit in the storage bag, the bag itself is meh, it gets the job done, what's important is inside:

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review img_4791-

The kit removed and unfurled, it stores quite nicely under the rear seat, this version is the Stars and Stripes (I do want to mention that I had ordered a yellow Willy's flag and got this by mistake, I had sent them an email and they did get back to me eventually, but at that point I decided to keep the flag I got)

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review img_4792-

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review img_4793-

The collapsed section, including the coupler, it seems its held together with a bungee/drawstring system. The poles are made of aluminum, powder coated gloss black.

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review img_4794-

The flag extended, its a good 6 1/2 feet long, so it should be plenty visible over dunes and trails.

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review img_4795-

The coupler base, this is all that is attached to the truck when the flag is not up, I like that there's little to be exposed to the elements when I'm not using it. I attached it to the Quake LED brackets coated in some Rustoleum spray liner, used a 19mm socket plus an adjustable wrench to attach.

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review img_4796-

The flag installed on the base, the coupler simply snaps into place, pull up to release. Really easy to use, flag can be put up or put away in less than 30 seconds.

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review img_4798-

The gap between the cab, the flag doesn't flex enough to hit the cab during most driving/trail rides.

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review img_4804-

How it looks from the front and back, still deciding on whether I want it on the left or right, my GRMS stealth antenna will go on the other. (I later learned that flags should be mounted on the RIGHT side of a vehicle, so I moved it a few days later).

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review img_4799-

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review img_4803-

All in all, I really like this kit, really easy to dismount, no fiberglass in my hands every time I touch it, stores away when I don't need it, it works great for me. Still working flawlessly 6 months later:

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review IMG_5161[1].JPG
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up!

I've been very pleased with the Handy Flag. Been testing it out on the factory flag mounting point that is exposed when the front bumper wings are removed. About to go on a road trip, so am about to drill a hole in my hinged spare carrier to be the final home for the stainless flag quick disconnect fitting.

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review 20220703_174202
Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review 20220703_173438

ssrgeoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2022 JLURD
I see we all have impeccable taste when it comes to flags. ;) :flag:

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review IMG_0144

Jeep Wrangler JL Handy Flag Kit Install/Review IMG_0145
Sponsored