Sponsored

Hands On With The New Ford Bronco (Wrangler Copycat)

justinbmcbride

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.justinbmcbride.com
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Content Creator
Ford gave me some hands-on alone time with their take on the Wrangler. It’s a little uncanny how they copied Jeep’s homework - something I’ll go into in a future video. But for now, this is my detailed walk around of the Bronco.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thank you ! This ups the ante for Jeep, as you noted, Ford saw what was lacking in the Wrangler, and LISTENED to what people want. I see the transfer case selection is electronic ; is the E- Brake a lever, or a electronic solenoid type ? What is your impression of the overall bulk of the Bronco ? The fact that accessories can be preinstalled, and included in the financing is good too.

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
Good rundown given the time you had. Although I'm a Jeep guy I like the way the Bronco is heading with some real design consideration and thought put into the vehicle. Competition is always good and hopefully this will prod Jeep into upping their game...

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Nice video.

I don't consider myself a Jeep guy yet (currently have my 1st one on order) so I'm not some big fanboy or something....yet... lol.

But my initial comment on those Bronco's is to me, they're pretty darn ugly to put it nicely. Yeah, they're doing some good things with specs, off-road options, etc which should push Jeep to up the ante a bit. But for me, the Jeep's are so much nicer looking than those Land Rover-ish looking Broncos.

Competition is great though and over the long haul is should be good for Jeep owners also. Should help keep prices in check and keep Jeep honest with what they're doing.

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
I don't want to call it Wrangler copy cat, it is Jeep's FAULT if they have great iconic vehicle but fail to stay competitive and relying fans' loyalty to stay in business.

Jeep need to improve, not to block competitor by calling it copycat, period.

Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Who wants an electronic transfer case? I've never had anything but problems out of those system. Especially when you get deep in the mud.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I don't want to call it Wrangler copy cat, it is Jeep's FAULT if they have great iconic vehicle but fail to stay competitive and relying fans' loyalty to stay in business.

Jeep need to improve, not to block competitor by calling it copycat, period.

The Ford Bronco and Jeep Wrangler have only one thing in common: They are both body on frame 4wd.

They are so much different in terms of off road capability. With 2 equal drivers on the same black diamond trails, the Bronco will not come close to the capability of the Wrangler. For one it has independent suspension. That alone negates hard core rock crawling and articulation.

Currently there is no mass produced street legal vehicle in the world that can match a Wrangler in terms of off road rock crawling and articulation right off the showroom floor.

Last edited:

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
The Ford Bronco and Jeep Wrangler have only one thing in common: They are both body on frame 4wd.

They are so much different in terms of off road capability. With 2 equal drivers on the same black diamond trails, the Bronco will not come close to the capability of the Wrangler. For one it has independent suspension. That alone negates hard core rock crawling and articulation.

Currently there is no mass produced street legal vehicle in the world that can match a Wrangler in terms of off road rock crawling and articulation right off the showroom floor.
One thing in common? Come on. Both can be had in 2 and 4 doors, swing open tailgate, removable top and doors, lockers, sway bar disconnect, 35s. There’s got to be more that I missed. They have many, many things in common.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had the opportunity to drive a Bronco at my Ford dealer while getting the wife's car an oil changed. I will say it does drive, and ride better than my Wrangler. But, we all know that's because the of the IFS. However, the road noise seemed to be louder.

To be honest I have a Bronco reserved, but it looks like Ford doesn't have the ability to build the Bronco's. Mine was on schedule to be delivered in mid '22. But, Ford basically lied to the folks that reserved, saying they would build all reservations before any dealer stock. Now it looks like mine will be a '24 if I'm lucky. As it stands now I'll probably just let the dealer have it, and drive my Jeep. I certainly don't need a Bronco, I just wanted one. So, screw Ford.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I had the opportunity to drive a Bronco at my Ford dealer while getting the wife's car an oil changed. I will say it does drive, and ride better than my Wrangler. But, we all know that's because the of the IFS. However, the road noise seemed to be louder.

To be honest I have a Bronco reserved, but it looks like Ford doesn't have the ability to build the Bronco's. Mine was on schedule to be delivered in mid '22. But, Ford basically lied to the folks that reserved, saying they would build all reservations before any dealer stock. Now it looks like mine will be a '24 if I'm lucky. As it stands now I'll probably just let the dealer have it, and drive my Jeep. I certainly don't need a Bronco, I just wanted one. So, screw Ford.

A dealer near me had 6 sitting on their lot for sale last week when I drove by.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
A dealer near me had 6 sitting on their lot for sale last week when I drove by.
I don't doubt that at all Jeff. There are so many variables in getting a Bronco reservation filled it makes my head spin. The hard top being one of the most deadly sins a Bronco order can have, and that is one of my problems. Others are the 2.7L, the Lux package because of the chip shortage (both on my options list), and the tow package. I assume the tow package is because of the chip shortage also, but not sure. All that along with Ford's new '22 Bronco allocation formula has giving me a big ol' screwin'. And not one kiss has been offered. :)
Sponsored