Handling with doors/top off?

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
When you have doors and top off, do you notice a difference in handling or acceleration due to the weight difference? What about wind drag on the highway? Impact to MPG’s? Cornering?
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
When you have doors and top off, do you notice a difference in handling or acceleration due to the weight difference? What about wind drag on the highway? Impact to MPG’s? Cornering?
It's really windy above about 70 kph, basically the highway.
As for all the other stuff, it's a jeep, aerodynamics just a smidge better than a bread box. Fuel mileage? Lol. What's that? Cornering? It definitely corners a lot worse than my RS did but I don't notice any difference naked unless I'm actually naked and I slide around on the seat. Lol.

Honestly, other than the wind, I don't notice any difference.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I tend to not drive as fast with doors and top off. I commute to work and go down the interstate. It gets windy but I do not notice any difference in how it drives. I am installing a sun screen to cut uv rays and I think that will help with some of the wind.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Jeeps, likely 2 doors more than 4, aren’t the best at handling crosswinds with the roof on. I live near a highway that has a strong crosswind daily and it was almost impossible to go 60 mph due to the fact that it was pushing me out of my seat. Around town, it is not bad at all (70Km/hr or 45mph was mentioned above) and I agree with that.

Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
My Jeep swerves hard in crosswinds when doors are off. But that maybe due to my body being blown around more than anything. 😂

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Wind basically. You’ll notice goofy stuff more just cause you’re out in the breeze.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I tend to not drive as fast with doors and top off. I commute to work and go down the interstate. It gets windy but I do not notice any difference in how it drives. I am installing a sun screen to cut uv rays and I think that will help with some of the wind.
I have a sunscreen over the front seats on my 2 door. Makes a big difference with the top off. Air still moves but it is a more consistant flow with less buffeting.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I tend to avoid tollways/freeways with the top & doors off simply due to speed required & wind/noise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheBirdie72

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Windy. I do notice a bit more pep and the vehicle definitely feels lighter to me.
I have a 2 door sport which is one of the lightest combos, so I was thinking that without the doors and hardtop, I’d get the most “% of overall weight” reduction. Just trying to see if others find it noticeable.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I have a 2 door sport which is one of the lightest combos, so I was thinking that without the doors and hardtop, I’d get the most “% of overall weight” reduction. Just trying to see if others find it noticeable.
You should totally spend as much time as possible with doors and top off. That'll definitely increase your smiles/gallon ratio. :-D

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Doors? no. But when I go from Hard top to soft top and vice versa? Yes. This is True on my JLUR, and also my 2 previous TJ's.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Arguably, removing the top/doors will lower the center of gravity, and enhance handling to some (minor) degree.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
When I am off road, I take out the back seat. When we are touring, I take out the back seat. This saves weight and space.

I open the top when ever I can depending on the weather.

When the top is open the airflow is worse so fuel consumption obviously is worse. But it is only a bit worse.
Sponsored