Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I also recommend the Midland 75. It's a great light use/first CB. You can even "upgrade" it to a permanent CB, by adding an external antenna.

If you buy a more full-featured radio later, this one is small enough to keep in the jeep as a loaner, or for spotters or travel companions.

Jeep Wrangler JL Handheld CB Radio and Antenna Recommendation 20210903_121756

It can be used with the 12V socket, six regular AA batteries, or eight NiMH rechargeables. If you use the NiMH, it is a separate pack that comes with a cable, and you can use the AC plug in the jeep to charge them.

If you use the 12V adapter, it comes with an external antenna plug for better range:

Jeep Wrangler JL Handheld CB Radio and Antenna Recommendation 20210903_124320

You can use temporary clamp mount like this, if you dont want to leave the antenna on all the time:
Jeep Wrangler JL Handheld CB Radio and Antenna Recommendation 20210903_124505

If you only use the included rubber ducky antenna with the 12V adapter, cover up the antenna pin connection in the adapter if you get weird interference.

I wouldn't recommend a Firestik unless you have a permanent, and sturdy, mount; they are surprisingly heavy.

If using an external antenna, remember to get an SWR meter too!

Note: I am not affiliated with Midland, nor do I own any stock in them.

20210903_121811.jpg

OP
OP

dave12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JL
I also recommend the Midland 75. It's a great light use/first CB. You can even "upgrade" it to a permanent CB, by adding an external antenna.

If you buy a more full-featured radio later, this one is small enough to keep in the jeep as a loaner, or for spotters or travel companions.

Jeep Wrangler JL Handheld CB Radio and Antenna Recommendation 20210903_121811

It can be used with the 12V socket, six regular AA batteries, or eight NiMH rechargeables. If you use the NiMH, it is a separate pack that comes with a cable, and you can use the AC plug in the jeep to charge them.

If you use the 12V adapter, it comes with an external antenna plug for better range:

You can use temporary clamp mount like this, if you dont want to leave the antenna on all the time:

If you only use the included rubber ducky antenna with the 12V adapter, cover up the antenna pin connection in the adapter if you get weird interference.

I wouldn't recommend a Firestik unless you have a permanent, and sturdy, mount; they are surprisingly heavy.

If using an external antenna, remember to get an SWR meter too!

Note: I am not affiliated with Midland, nor do I own any stock in them.

Wow, that is a lot of useful information, thanks so much for taking the time to explain this to me, buddy! Now, I feel a little less noob and I think I'll definetly start with that Midland unit! It feels so much more clear now.

One more question for you if I may ask : what do you use for antenna on your hood when you plug it in the 12V adapter?

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I used either a 3' rigid, but not as thick and heavy as a Firestik antenna, or a wire center-load wire antenna with the Mopar cowl lighting mounts initially, but later moved it farther down the hood using this:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...-cb-antenna-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

But only because I added another antenna to the cowl. That kit routed the antenna cable under the body, which I liked, but it isn't necessary.

Lots of people seem to use the Terraflex tailgate mount.

Check out the many ways that people here ran the wires if you do go with a mounted antenna.

Make sure the SWR meter you get comes with a short jumper cable, as they cheap out on them now. When I put a CB in my buddy's car yesterday, the meter didn't come with one, so I had to pull the one out of my jeep to test it.

Just to warn you, lots of new knowledge to acquire once you start playing with radios, and I am by no means an expert. Look online for some tutorials. You can end up spending a lot of time and/or money getting things to work the way you want, but it's mostly fun.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara