Sponsored

Handheld CB Radio and Antenna Recommendation

dave12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JL
Hello,

I am looking to get just a handheld CB Radio that would be powered by batteries and/or while plugged in the vehicle using a cable. I am currently looking at the Uniden PRO401HH or the Midland 75-822, but would like some advice from some of you who might have had experience with them.

I am also looking for an antenna that I could plug on those handheld radios that would enhance the range. I would like something like a FireStik KW3B CB Antenna. Would that work with the aforementioned radios?

Thanks for your feedback!
Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
I have a Quad-Band HAM radio, CB and several GMRS handhelds.

The GMRS radios are by far the most valuable. The blister pack ones (Midland, Motorola...) from retail stores are bad. Wouxun and others from a radio supplier are vastly superior.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/consumer/gmrs-radios.html

Wouxun KG-805G GMRS`

OP
OP

dave12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JL
Thanks for your answers! I know that GMRS is getting more and more present, but I think most Jeep Clubs around where I live still use CB. Maybe I could get a CB and later on I'd also get a GMRS. Plus, i can't seem to find a place that currently has the Wouxun KG-805G GMRS in stock and that ships to Canada, so maybe it'll be back after I get a CB.

@Thane Would the Midland T71VP3 / T295VP4 and such still be a correct choice? They come in pair, but I guess you can still talk to anyone that has a GMRS radio, right? Not simply between the two radios you get in the pack!? Sorry, I am kind of a noob in term of CB/GMRS radios! :facepalm:

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I have the Midland 75 CB radio. It's a great modular setup. I use it when I'm out of the Jeep. When I'm in a car with no radio I use the plug base to run off vehicle power and hook up a mag mount antenna. It's a good all around radio.

I also have GMRS and ham. But it's still mostly CB around here.

Sponsored

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
I prefer wire whip antennas such as the Larsen NMO27 however if you prefer the Firestik type look for one that has an adjustable tip. The firestik you note appears to be a cut to tune type.
Also GMRS in Canada is not like it is in the states (unless it's changed in the last year or two), it's more like our FRS. 2 watts, handheld, non-removeable antenna so that may be why you can't find a retailer offering a mobile GMRS radio.

OP
OP

dave12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JL
I have the Midland 75 CB radio. It's a great modular setup. I use it when I'm out of the Jeep. When I'm in a car with no radio I use the plug base to run off vehicle power and hook up a mag mount antenna. It's a good all around radio.

I also have GMRS and ham. But it's still mostly CB around here.
That sounds nice as well! Do you think / know if a longer 2' or 3' antenna such as the FireStik KW3B would work with the Midland 75 ?

OP
OP

dave12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JL
I prefer wire whip antennas such as the Larsen NMO27 however if you prefer the Firestik type look for one that has an adjustable tip. The firestik you note appears to be a cut to tune type.
Also GMRS in Canada is not like it is in the states (unless it's changed in the last year or two), it's more like our FRS. 2 watts, handheld, non-removeable antenna so that may be why you can't find a retailer offering a mobile GMRS radio.
Thanks! I'll look into the Larsen NMO27. And yes, you are right, I should really get an adjustable antenna. I just wanna make sure it fits with the CB radio I'll be getting. Is that all pretty universal -- CB antennas can fit on handheld CB radios? 🤓

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
@Thane Would the Midland T71VP3 / T295VP4 and such still be a correct choice? They come in pair, but I guess you can still talk to anyone that has a GMRS radio, right? Not simply between the two radios you get in the pack!? Sorry, I am kind of a noob in term of CB/GMRS radios! :facepalm:
The Midland radios are under powered, fixed antenna with a grossly overstated range.

The Wouxun model listed is good power 4-5 watts with excellent superhetrodyne circuit=better sounding.

Revitus sells some waterproof 10 watts powered radios: Retevis RT29

You may need to use a mail relaying service, that's how I get Coffee Crisp bars smuggled into the states.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
That sounds nice as well! Do you think / know if a longer 2' or 3' antenna such as the FireStik KW3B would work with the Midland 75 ?
If you have the right adapter and cable, you can attach any CB antenna and it should work fine. And it's a standard antenna adapter mount. Something like this will let you attach any standard coax cable to run to an external antenna mount: https://www.amazon.com/DHT-Electron...d9772&pd_rd_wg=eZUrA&pd_rd_i=B00CW5JT58&psc=1

I run an adapter like that to attach the cable from my mag mount antenna.

You want to make sure to tune it before you use it. Lots of people can tune an antenna easily. If you don't tune the antenna you get less range and if it's bad enough you can burn out your transmitter.

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

+1 on GMRS

Get a handheld CB for clubs that insist on using them

Get a GMRS for the rig, and carry a few FRS (cheap Walmart blister pack "walkie talkie" style radios) and you can pass them out to people on the trail if you need too. The GMRS and FRS channels overlap and communicate with each other.

EDIT:
Oh and factor in a GMRS license in the purchase it's like ~$75 for 10 years and covers you and your family to use the bands

OP
OP

dave12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JL
OP
OP

dave12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JL
+1 on GMRS

Get a handheld CB for clubs that insist on using them

Get a GMRS for the rig, and carry a few FRS (cheap Walmart blister pack "walkie talkie" style radios) and you can pass them out to people on the trail if you need too. The GMRS and FRS channels overlap and communicate with each other.

EDIT:
Oh and factor in a GMRS license in the purchase it's like ~$75 for 10 years and covers you and your family to use the bands
I will get a CB handheld radio for now, but I'll definetly get a GMRS radio as well someday. Just gotta check out how it's gonna be working in Canada.
Sponsored