• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

California Ham Radio Wiring

Spinnerkid

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon Extreme Recon
Hey all. First post, new member. I have my 22 Rubicon Showing up in a couple months. I want to mount a ham radio, and have read most of the posts here. Just a little unsure how I would run the wiring. Any photos/videos/advice would be great.
thanks
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Hi Jamie, Welcome aboard!
Where are you planning to mount your radio? I've seen a few folks put radios in their center console but don't want to assume. Also, did you option your order with the Aux switches? Those will drop a switched power under the glove box that would be a great place to run power to the radio from.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Couple of questions. Which radio? Is the face detachable?

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I installed an Icom 5100. I put the main unit in the glove box, the screen on a 67Designs dash mount, and the microphone mounted on the dash.

I ran the antenna through the tailgate up the passenger side to the glovebox. And hung up a separate speaker over drivers left shoulder.

i can get some pictures later. My wife took the Jeep.

OP
OP

Spinnerkid

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where are you planning to mount your radio? I've seen a few folks put radios in their center console but don't want to assume. Also, did you option your order with the Aux switches? Those will drop a switched power under the glove box that would be a great place to run power to the radio from.
Hey! Thanks! Happy to be here! Yup my 22 is fully loaded eith everything except cruise control. So yes on the Aux switches!
i was thinking an APX75/8500. I also want to mount a GMRS radio, but that can come after!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Spinnerkid

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed an Icom 5100. I put the main unit in the glove box, the screen on a 67Designs dash mount, and the microphone mounted on the dash.

I ran the antenna through the tailgate up the passenger side to the glovebox. And hung up a separate speaker over drivers left shoulder.

i can get some pictures later. My wife took the Jeep.
Did you run the wire through a pre existing hole? I’d love to see how it was run through!

OP
OP

Spinnerkid

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was hoping to mount it under the seat/on the side of the center console. As I can either do a remote head, or use a mic that has a screen built in.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Did you run the wire through a pre existing hole? I’d love to see how it was run through!
The wiring was no big deal. The hardest part of it all was the remote speaker wire I ran around the driver side,,behind the dash, and to the glove box.

The wire from the head unit to the glove box was super simple,,once I dropped the front windshield. Antenna did require removal of the plastic all the way down the passenger side, but again,,once you do it, you see it's really simple to remove and replace.

I have the aux wiring, so I wired in power to the wires inside, and I chose the ignition power. I'll be changing that. It's a pain in the ass on trips for the radio to power down and up everything I stop. I'll probably extend the power to the 2nd battery under the hood. (I have the Genesis Off-road Dual Battery System).

Hope that all helps. If something's not clear or I left something out, feel free to ask.

PXL_20211211_224150086.jpg

PXL_20211211_224154176.jpg

PXL_20211211_224201160.MP.jpg

PXL_20211211_224208327.MP.jpg

PXL_20211211_224359268.jpg

PXL_20211211_224525391.jpg

PXL_20211211_224545960.jpg

PXL_20211211_224556643.MP.jpg

OP
OP

Spinnerkid

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The wiring was no big deal. The hardest part of it all was the remote speaker wire I ran around the driver side,,behind the dash, and to the glove box.

The wire from the head unit to the glove box was super simple,,once I dropped the front windshield. Antenna did require removal of the plastic all the way down the passenger side, but again,,once you do it, you see it's really simple to remove and replace.

I have the aux wiring, so I wired in power to the wires inside, and I chose the ignition power. I'll be changing that. It's a pain in the ass on trips for the radio to power down and up everything I stop. I'll probably extend the power to the 2nd battery under the hood. (I have the Genesis Off-road Dual Battery System).

Hope that all helps. If something's not clear or I left something out, feel free to ask.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Wiring PXL_20211211_224556643.MP

Awesome!
that was SUPER helpful thank you! It’ll just take me some time, and resilience to actually modify the vehicle 😁
It sounds oretty straight forward, and running the wires shouldn’t be an issue. Are you running into an interference from the engine/other electronics from the jeep? Or no. It my last VW, there was some interference and It couldn’t be fixed.

OP
OP

Spinnerkid

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome!
that was SUPER helpful thank you! It’ll just take me some time, and resilience to actually modify the vehicle 😁
It sounds oretty straight forward, and running the wires shouldn’t be an issue. Are you running into an interference from the engine/other electronics from the jeep? Or no. It my last VW, there was some interference and It couldn’t be fixed.
I have the aux wiring as well.
Main wants are lights,and radios

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Awesome!
No, I've not had any interference

xefie

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Rubicon
Out of curiosity, why did you route the cable through the horizontal grille rather than through the little grommet above the tire stop?

Oh, and if your ID-5100 is like my IC-7000 and doesn't associate TX Power with memories, I added some code to my little antenna tuner interface to reduce the rig's output power when it's tuned to GMRS/MURS/CB channels. PM me if you'd like me to drop one in the mail in a few weeks once I get the PCBs ordered and everything assembled.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Out of curiosity, why did you route the cable through the horizontal grille rather than through the little grommet above the tire stop?

Oh, and if your ID-5100 is like my IC-7000 and doesn't associate TX Power with memories, I added some code to my little antenna tuner interface to reduce the rig's output power when it's tuned to GMRS/MURS/CB channels. PM me if you'd like me to drop one in the mail in a few weeks once I get the PCBs ordered and everything assembled.
I went with the horizontals just because it was right there...easy.

Tell me more about this Radio mod. I'm interested.

xefie

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Rubicon
I went with the horizontals just because it was right there...easy.

Tell me more about this Radio mod. I'm interested.
Lol. Fair enough. :P

It's less a mod and more of a little microcontroller that connects to the CI-V port on the back:
Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Wiring 1639449911763

If you don't need the HF antenna tuning part, you can just hook up 12V/Gnd to J1 on the upper left, and hook up J2 to the CI-V port.

You set the radio to output its frequency (I think it's called "CI-V Transceive" or something deep withing the menus) and the microcontroller listens and sets the power appropriately:

C:
void processRxBuffer() {
    switch (rxbuf[2]) {
        case 0x00:
            freqKhz = (rxbuf[4] & 0xF);
            freqKhz += 10u*(rxbuf[4] >> 4);
            freqKhz += 100u*(rxbuf[5] & 0xF);
            freqKhz += 1000u*(rxbuf[5] >> 4);
            freqMhz = (rxbuf[6] & 0xF);
            freqMhz += 10u*(rxbuf[6] >> 4);
            freqMhz += 100u*(rxbuf[7] & 0xF);
            freqMhz += 1000u*(rxbuf[7] >> 4);
            break;
        case 0x01:
            mode = rxbuf[3];
            return;
        case 0xFA:
        case 0xFB:
        default:
            return;
    }

// CB Power Limits
    if (mode == MODE_AM && is_cb_freq()) {
        txPowerReducedHF = true;
        USART_0_writeString(txPower4WHF, sizeof(txPower4WHF));
    } else if (mode == MODE_FM && is_murs_freq()) {
        txPowerReduced2M = true;
        USART_0_writeString(txPower2WVHF, sizeof(txPower2WVHF));
    } else if (mode == MODE_FM && is_gmrs_1thru7()) {
        txPowerReduced70CM = true;
        USART_0_writeString(txPower5WUHF, sizeof(txPower5WUHF));
    } else if (mode == MODE_FM && is_gmrs_8thru14()) {
        USART_0_writeString(txPower0_5WUHF, sizeof(txPower0_5WUHF));
    } else if (mode == MODE_FM && is_gmrs_15thru22()) {
        USART_0_writeString(txPowerFull, sizeof(txPowerFull));
    } else if (freqMhz < 30 && txPowerReducedHF) {
        txPowerReducedHF = false;
    } else if (freqMhz >= 30 && freqMhz < 60 && txPowerReduced6M) {
        txPowerReduced6M = false;
    } else if (freqMhz >= 60 && freqMhz < 200 && txPowerReduced2M) {
        txPowerReduced2M = false;
    } else if (freqMhz >= 400 && freqMhz < 470 && txPowerReduced70CM) {
        txPowerReduced70CM = false;
    }
}

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
IMG_9222 Large.jpeg

I installed the Yaesu FTM300 on an overhead CB bar, no drilling required. and all of those mic/faceplate/speaker are attached by magnetic pieces.

The next step I will remove those zip ties and hide those wires/cables through the CB bar and the roll bar if possible (or the passenger trim).
I did something similar to yours. I installed my Yaesu FTM-400XDR overhead, along with the external speaker. The head unit pivots to the right or left for easy viewing. All the wires except for the speaker wires are inside the bar. I plan on purchasing a 3.5mm solder type male audio cable connector so I can shorten the speaker wire. Antenna is mounted up front on the drivers side using a light mount from CARR. Next project is to install a mobile HF radio on the passengers side up high.
Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Wiring F1B5FEA5-1E06-462D-BB97-2193835A8827
Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Wiring 3688802C-2731-41BE-94FF-B8EEBBA90966
Sponsored

Last edited: