First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi. Granite Crystal
Occupation
Realtor
I have the Aux switches on my missing JLUR (Gone astray somewhere in Marion OH). Can I power a Ham radio through the extra connections they give you with the aux switches or does it need to be wired direct to the battery. Also, which mounting locations are you finding the best results. My options so far are front bumper, rear bumper, Side of ft hood, tire carrier, etc.
Sponsored

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
Can I power a Ham radio through the extra connections they give you with the aux switches
you can, but it will be more practical to connect the radio to either an always-hot or an ignition-hot (your preference) inside the cab. To use the aux switch power, you would need to run a wire from the engine compartment back into the cab, and you don't gain a lot of additional functionality. Depending on the model, you don't want your ham radio turned on when the vehicle starts anyway - better to turn it on after power is applied, and turn off before shutting vehicle off. something or other to do with power surges, I donno. old-school ham guy gave me that advice and it made sense. He has had them dump their programming (basically a hard-reset) from being connected and powering up like that. Dumping a couple hundred channels sucks

Also, which mounting locations are you finding the best results. My options so far are front bumper, rear bumper, Side of ft hood, tire carrier, etc.
the closer to the center of the vehicle, the 'better' it will be. The antenna uses your vehicle to do something with the signal. thats why magnetic mounts on old cars in the middle of the roof actually work really well.

on my truck I have it mounted to the lip of my hood, over on the passenger side (sort of where the radio antenna would be, but I use siriusXM so I just remove the radio antenna). There are edge-mounts that work well for putting on lips like that. I imagine I'll do something similar in the Jeep

once i pick up my Jeep tomorrow and move my system, I'll throw a couple pictures up here. Be able to give better advice then ;)

OP
OP
JL2018

JL2018

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi. Granite Crystal
Occupation
Realtor
you can, but it will be more practical to connect the radio to either an always-hot or an ignition-hot (your preference) inside the cab. To use the aux switch power, you would need to run a wire from the engine compartment back into the cab, and you don't gain a lot of additional functionality. Depending on the model, you don't want your ham radio turned on when the vehicle starts anyway - better to turn it on after power is applied, and turn off before shutting vehicle off. something or other to do with power surges, I donno. old-school ham guy gave me that advice and it made sense. He has had them dump their programming (basically a hard-reset) from being connected and powering up like that. Dumping a couple hundred channels sucks

the closer to the center of the vehicle, the 'better' it will be. The antenna uses your vehicle to do something with the signal. thats why magnetic mounts on old cars in the middle of the roof actually work really well.

on my truck I have it mounted to the lip of my hood, over on the passenger side (sort of where the radio antenna would be, but I use siriusXM so I just remove the radio antenna). There are edge-mounts that work well for putting on lips like that. I imagine I'll do something similar in the Jeep

once i pick up my Jeep tomorrow and move my system, I'll throw a couple pictures up here. Be able to give better advice then ;)
Thanks Armond, I know that there are a few extra connections inside the cab, one always hot and one ignition hot with the aux switches, but didn't know if they would cause any interference (if they run through a relay) with the ham.

I was thinking about a hood lip mount antenna, but I'm planning on getting an Expel wrap when my jeep finally arrives and I'll have to make sure the two are compatible.

I'd love to see some pics of your setup after you get your jeep.

Thanks again.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I wired my Yaesu FT-7900 to the 40 AMP circuit for the AUX switches in the floor board of my JLUR. I would not run it to the constant hot in that bundle, the wire looks a bit small. I chose this for a matter of convenience. Additionally, I have a zero ground plane dual band antenna mounted on the tailgate.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I wired my Yaesu FT-7900 to the 40 AMP circuit for the AUX switches in the floor board of my JLUR. I would not run it to the constant hot in that bundle, the wire looks a bit small. I chose this for a matter of convenience. Additionally, I have a zero ground plane dual band antenna mounted on the tailgate.
Any reason you didn’t go with a quad band like the ft-8900 Rumblefish? Thanks!

Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any reason you didn’t go with a quad band like the ft-8900 Rumblefish? Thanks!
My 7900 was left over from my JK, so no real reason.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks!!!
When I mounted my radio in my JL, I basically did the same thing I did in the JK. Radio base, use separation kit to remote the face to above the rear view mirror, and some RJ-11 cable to remote the and mic back down to the floor for a clean stealth install. (I used gorilla heavy duty mounting tape to adhere the face to the top of the mirror, and a Nite Ize magnetic ball for the hand mic.)

I understand that I basically blocked my access to the buttons on my mirror stalk (SOS etc), but I likely will never need them so there is that. I will have to dig through my pics when I get home.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
When I mounted my radio in my JL, I basically did the same thing I did in the JK. Radio base, use separation kit to remote the face to above the rear view mirror, and some RJ-11 cable to remote the and mic back down to the floor for a clean stealth install. (I used gorilla heavy duty mounting tape to adhere the face to the top of the mirror, and a Nite Ize magnetic ball for the hand mic.)

I understand that I basically blocked my access to the buttons on my mirror stalk (SOS etc), but I likely will never need them so there is that. I will have to dig through my pics when I get home.
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the pics if you find them!!!

Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Here ya go!

antenna.jpg

done.jpg

Face.jpg

Mount.jpg
How’s your transmit/receive with that mount location Rumblefish? I bought the mount you had on your JK, “K400S” and it doesn’t work for the tailgate on the JL. It will work on the hood but it covers part of the rubicon lettering plus I worry it will damage the paint. I’m thinking of mounting it to the front bumper but not sure how that will look.

Also thinking of getting the mount you have. I bought the FT/7900 today

Thanks a lot for posting the pics Rumblefish!!!!

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How’s your transmit/receive with that mount location Rumblefish? I bought the mount you had on your JK, “K400S” and it doesn’t work for the tailgate on the JL. It will work on the hood but it covers part of the rubicon lettering plus I worry it will damage the paint. I’m thinking of mounting it to the front bumper but not sure how that will look.

Thanks a lot for posting the pics Rumblefish!!!!
Yeah, the K400S mount wouldn't work on the tailgate for several reasons the thickness of the pinch on the edge and it interfered with the tail light as well. It appears to transmit and receive just fine, the adhesive mount is in a similar location. To be honest, I haven't been talking on it all that much, I need to find some time to put a fresh program in it. Maybe this weekend when I install winch. My external speaker is tucked way up under the dash. Sorry that you purchased the K400S, I should have mentioned that it didn't work.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL

Thanks!
Yeah, the K400S mount wouldn't work on the tailgate for several reasons the thickness of the pinch on the edge and it interfered with the tail light as well. It appears to transmit and receive just fine, the adhesive mount is in a similar location. To be honest, I haven't been talking on it all that much, I need to find some time to put a fresh program in it. Maybe this weekend when I install winch. My external speaker is tucked way up under the dash. Sorry that you purchased the K400S, I should have mentioned that it didn't work.
Not your fault at all Rumblefish, I actually forgot about your post, I watched a video on YouTube of a guy using one for a hood mount, I just don’t want to chance using it there now that I have it in hand.

Thanks for all the info!!!!

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Just got done installing an ft-7900 used a Diamond k515SNMO and a NR770HNMO Diamond Antenna mounted to the Tire Rack.

Everything is working great!!!

The radio installed nice as well. I’m pretty picky about wanting a clean looking install and this came out great in my opinion. Just used some clear 3m 10 pound double sided tape for the head mount. The tape is attached to the rubber insert so it’s pretty safe. If it did mess it up you could always replace it. I used some chair leg end cushions to give it support and it’s pretty solid. I’m thinking if for some reason the tape doesn’t hold up that I could actually screw right through the rubber to secure the mount and If I ever sold or wanted to move the head unit I could get a new rubber insert and you would never know it was drilled.

And the wiper is not effected by this at all. It works perfect.

And the mic is just resting in the grab bar. I’m thinking a round magnet would work great for it.

If you have questions and I don’t see them, pm me.

DF6132DA-F473-4462-8D4A-9CEC7B649DE6.jpeg

83DF0309-0692-4BA3-8251-857C045F84A9.jpeg

03DB36A5-54FD-4799-B629-6940A8B84916.jpeg

1C3FA0E7-B23B-4D0D-8ADC-22A7C57363FA.jpeg

852803E3-C4DE-410C-8E7E-E0BFF7001329.jpeg

17C377BD-006F-4848-A930-2D4BC52B7487.jpeg

5D55C0FE-C346-40B3-AF2D-C848421C57A7.jpeg

phxrubijl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
What mounting brackets did you use to mount the antenna on the tire rack?
Sponsored