HAM radio installation / antenna mount

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
So I didn't get any pictures of installing my ham radio, but I'll do the best i can to explain it and may have to put up pics later.

First I had the dilemma of power. I'm a huge fan of Anderson Powerpole connectors; they're idiot-proof (mostly) and reliable. I have a small distro box and needed to feed it from a power source.

I decided to use the aux switches (aux-1 and aux-2 are 40A circuits). aux switches come with the tow package, or can be added later. it was a nice, easy way to use power already available in the cab. so I ran a hot (red) wire from the aux-1 wire under the passenger dash (by the feet, a bundle of wires) to the back of the jeep through the trim / door. I mounted the small anderson powerpole distro on top of the wheel (for now); it will probably move.
ground wire I connected to a frame bolt under the trim. forget exactly but it was a solid bolt that wasn't going anywhere

radio is a icom id-5100 with a main unit and faceplate

I then ran power to the main unit, which is under the driver-side back seat.

antenna wire went to the back; I'm going to use the CoolTech rear hinge mount; I emailed them earlier today and you can order just the hinge mount now (no need for a CB here). For now the antenna is temporarily lip-mounted to the hard top but will move to the CoolTech hinge mount in the back.
http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/113-wrangler-jl-cb-antenna-bracket.html

the mic wire and the faceplate wire ran under the mats, under the trim, and show up in the driver area. the faceplate is (for now) connected to a suction-cup in the middle of the windshield and the mic just lays around in the middle. eventually those wires will run up the pillar trim, and the faceplate will (hopefully) sit somewhere around above the mirror. I may hang the mic from up top as well, reminiscent of the good old days bouncing around in the CUCV.

anyway - looking forward to the CoolTech hinge to arriving; that will definitely clean up the antenna install. But pulling feed power from the aux-1 switch was a breeze and I set it to always-on. I can turn off the aux-switch if I feel like, but it by default is set to always-on.

hope this helps someone else. I'll throw up pics once my antenna mount shows up
Sponsored

Socceref

First Name
Ref
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (loaded)
Did you adapt the CB bracket to an NMO antenna? What antenna did you use,? Which Aux button and amperage did you use?

Thanks for the post. Hopefully you will upload some photos. 73

JCM32

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Occupation
Finance
I actually received my Ham license in preparation for my JL purchase. Now I am having a hard time finding a good place to mount the faceplate. Pictures and ideas would be great! thank you for sharing!

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
OP
OP
RisingEagle

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
sorry - forgot to follow ip on this. ill get some picscthis weekend and update the thread. stay tuned ;)
Sponsored