Sponsored

Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later**

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I will update as I come along, so far I just mounted the base of my TM-V71a onto the interior cowl on the passenger side under the glove box. You can hardly see it from the passenger seat, and it shouldn't obstruct a passenger's feet too bad.

I have the coax connector facing up, I'm going to run the coax and power through the grommet just above where the radio is mount.

I'm going to use the Mopar JL A-Pillar light mounts, drill out a hole, and mount my Larsen 2/70cm NMO antenna on it. I'm also going to use the separation and extension kit for the tm-v71a to mount the mic on the drivers side, and I'm still unsure of where I'm going to mount the face.

I'll update as I get more done.

Kpe1NCR.jpg

1usnx3W.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm so pissed. It took me WAY too long to get the damn wires through the rubber grommet on the passenger side, and when I finally hooked up the radio to test, it doesn't turn on! It's already dark, so I just stopped. Anyway, here's what I have so far:

Wires going through the rubber grommet. I had to use my knife and make a slice to get the 12g wires through it.
SJCOhxc.jpg

In the cab (passenger side)
wQvv39B.jpg

Looking up from under the passenger side of the jeep, I routed the wires right next to the engine bay side wall using a hanger.
Cwf6YSK.jpg

They are coming up right behind the fuse box. Really good spot, IMO.
4AkF2kt.jpg

So now I just need to troubleshoot the power issue. It might be my power pole connector because I test the wire coming right off the battery and it has power.

Any other ideas why the radio didn't power on? I checked the fuses, and the 20a fuse on the positive wire was busted (idk when it happened) so I replaced it but still no power.

OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Ok so I went and bought a multimeter. Positive wire has power coming into the cab, I thought "that's strange why doesn't the radio power on". I messed with all the connections, power poles and the extension cables for the base/detachable face, and it powered on!

Anyhow, now I'll wait for my a-pillar light mounts to come in and mount my laresen, run the coax, and takes some pics of the complete install.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Thanks for sharing. Is your radio facing downwards? Any reason is not facing into the cab?

OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for sharing. Is your radio facing downwards? Any reason is not facing into the cab?
It's not "really" facing downward, since I have the face detached. I'm updating just after this reply with new pics.

Sponsored

OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So it's basically like I only have time to do one part each evening, LOL. So tonight I mounted the detachable face.

I ran the cable from the base, under the floorboard on the passenger side, under the passenger seat carpet, up the side of the passenger seat next to the seat belt.
cqOIAX7.jpg

Then I screwed the face onto the top of the cup holder. The shifter still has plenty of room with plenty to spare.
jbAWFCv.jpg

0egyQpk.jpg

896gpdb.jpg

So when I get the a-pillar Mopar mounts, I should be able to just drill one hole larger for the NMO antenna, run the coax through the same hole in the rubber grommet I used for the power cables, and connect to the rig.

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
As a TM-D710GA owner, I thank you for this post! I still have to mount my rig, so this has given me some ideas.

I doubt I'll mount my antenna where you do. First, that MOPAR A-pillar mount is stupid expensive. Second, I'm not too crazy about mounting the antenna so close to my face. I will probably fashion my own mount that will attach to the rear and position the antenna just above the body mass, or run a hood mount out near the front.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I have the same radio so I'm interested in this also. I mounted the antenna today, drilling holes in my 4 day old JL 2 door was hard. But a long time ago, I got the "L" mount for the NR770HNMO antenna. I painted it a red that looks really close and I think it turned out pretty good.

IMG_2106.jpg IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Following in case I mount my HAM and/or Scanner. I liked the multiplexer used on another thread for scanner.

OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
As a TM-D710GA owner, I thank you for this post! I still have to mount my rig, so this has given me some ideas.

I doubt I'll mount my antenna where you do. First, that MOPAR A-pillar mount is stupid expensive. Second, I'm not too crazy about mounting the antenna so close to my face. I will probably fashion my own mount that will attach to the rear and position the antenna just above the body mass, or run a hood mount out near the front.
I'm glad you found it useful. I have the mounts, yeah they are ugly but they sort of blend in with my granite crystal paint, but I haven't mounted the antenna just yet. Maybe I'm having reservations about the location? Or maybe I'm just waiting for my FME-UHF adapter. We'll see.

I have the same radio so I'm interested in this also. I mounted the antenna today, drilling holes in my 4 day old JL 2 door was hard. But a long time ago, I got the "L" mount for the NR770HNMO antenna. I painted it a red that looks really close and I think it turned out pretty good.

IMG_2106.jpg IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg
Hey that came out really good! Do you have pics of how your ran the coax?

Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
The first pic shows the bracket for the bottom of the soft top window. One torx head bolt holding it on, I pulled the rubber for the tailgate out of the way and pulled that plastic covering away from the body and you can see a hole with a piece of clear tape over it. I pulled it off and used my bent coat hanger in the window to catch the coax as I pushed it thru the hole I drilled in the body (yeah that hurt but had to be done). Sorry the last pic is blurry. I didn't notice that until I had them on the computer (as opposed to phone) but you can see what I'm talking about.

This mount will work well with my soft top but I don't know about a hard top. It might prevent the top from opening.

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2122.JPG

OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The first pic shows the bracket for the bottom of the soft top window. One torx head bolt holding it on, I pulled the rubber for the tailgate out of the way and pulled that plastic covering away from the body and you can see a hole with a piece of clear tape over it. I pulled it off and used my bent coat hanger in the window to catch the coax as I pushed it thru the hole I drilled in the body (yeah that hurt but had to be done). Sorry the last pic is blurry. I didn't notice that until I had them on the computer (as opposed to phone) but you can see what I'm talking about.

This mount will work well with my soft top but I don't know about a hard top. It might prevent the top from opening.

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2122.JPG
Thanks.

Yes it would prevent my rear window (hard top) from opening if I placed it exactly where yours is, BUT what I'm going to do is use my existing bracket just like yours which has my NMO already mounted and just put it on the opposite side as yours and far off enough to let the window open. I've already mocked it up and the window opens and tail gate opens fully with no obstructions. I plan to finish by this weekend and post updated pics.

Thanks

OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Ok I finished up. The install looks really good. I did scratch the paint next to the tail light when the drill slipped trying to put in the first screw. Oh well. Other than that, it looks really clean and seamless on the interior. I've very happy.

fi54TYm.jpg

sSq6cgV.jpg

k9T7x3P.jpg

nVTCHZR.jpg

XIly6cJ.jpg

5Z8XHMn.jpg

gtEZHWY.jpg

HC6IcDH.jpg

OUPSXWY.jpg

a1DvIY5.jpg

kogY1Us.jpg

Wnmwidl.jpg

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Safety Glasses - quick question, how did you get that panel off? I'm afraid of breaking something using brute force.

Never mind Safety Glasses. I got it off. I'm gonna mount mine the same way you did. I ran the antenna cable all the way up to where the unit will be. But for tonight, I'm done. I'll pick it back up tomorrow.

I have the aux switches in mine, so I'm gonna use the 40 amp line to power it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Safety Glasses - quick question, how did you get that panel off? I'm afraid of breaking something using brute force.

Never mind Safety Glasses. I got it off. I'm gonna mount mine the same way you did. I ran the antenna cable all the way up to where the unit will be. But for tonight, I'm done. I'll pick it back up tomorrow.

I have the aux switches in mine, so I'm gonna use the 40 amp line to power it up.
Luckily I came into this thread to link it to another reply on the forum. I see you tried to tag me, but you need to add the @ sign before my name. I'm glad you got it figured out though! I think most of the panels are OK just pulling them off. I know I did break one of the plastic pieces on the floor that holds the trim in place, but you wouldn't know unless you pulled it off and saw it, luckily.
Sponsored