Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later**

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
One potential issue is that location puts the antenna fairly close to your head, so transmitting 50w might be an RF exposure risk. Lower power wouldn’t be a problem. Gory details (chart 4a gives recommended distances) http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet65/oet65b.pdf
Yeah, I was considering mentioning this. I "solved" this by mounting my Comet antennas (One for Ham, other for GMRS) with Comet lip mounts at the midpoint along each side of the hood. That keeps good distance for RF issues. As a guy who got brain damage in the military due to RF issues (basically, my brain was non-fatally microwaved -- if it was fatally, I'd probably type a lot worse now :LOL:), I can attest that RF can damage you in unexpected ways (the whole "RF Burn" takes on a different meaning when the microwaves are trying to melt your brain from the center-outwards)

i went through the firewall using a hole for the clutch pedal (covered by a blanking plate if you have an automatic) https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/comms-mule-ham-gmrs-and-cb-install.57392/
I guessed that was your approach. One thing I've learned is that there's enough room to route RG-58 (or similar) through the top side-cowling and into the interior just under the windshield.
Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Yeah, I was considering mentioning this. I "solved" this by mounting my Comet antennas (One for Ham, other for GMRS) with Comet lip mounts at the midpoint along each side of the hood. That keeps good distance for RF issues. As a guy who got brain damage in the military due to RF issues (basically, my brain was non-fatally microwaved -- if it was fatally, I'd probably type a lot worse now :LOL:), I can attest that RF can damage you in unexpected ways (the whole "RF Burn" takes on a different meaning when the microwaves are trying to melt your brain from the center-outwards)

I guessed that was your approach. One thing I've learned is that there's enough room to route RG-58 (or similar) through the top side-cowling and into the interior just under the windshield.
This maybe a stupid question, but why not just program GRMS frequencies into your ham radio and low the default power to legal limits for GRMS? As opposed to two antennas. I didn’t read all the posts I assumed the 2nd was for CB or something else.

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
This maybe a stupid question, but why not just program GRMS frequencies into your ham radio and low the default power to legal limits for GRMS? As opposed to two antennas. I didn’t read all the posts I assumed the 2nd was for CB or something else.
not a stupid question. But, FCC only allows certain radios (under Part 95) to operate in the GMRS band. Ham-approved and GMRS-approved radios do NOT overlap. Yes, some chinese radios permit you to spill into GMRS/FRS bands, but it’s technically illegal (although NEVER enforced). As a licensed ham, I have an ethical responsibility to operate radios in legal ways, so...I don’t do that. I’m not gonna judge you if you have a more “relaxed” mindset about radio operation. :)

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
not a stupid question. But, FCC only allows certain radios (under Part 95) to operate in the GMRS band. Ham-approved and GMRS-approved radios do NOT overlap. Yes, some chinese radios permit you to spill into GMRS/FRS bands, but it’s technically illegal (although NEVER enforced). As a licensed ham, I have an ethical responsibility to operate radios in legal ways, so...I don’t do that. I’m not gonna judge you if you have a more “relaxed” mindset about radio operation. :)
i am at least licensed, but am not overly concerned about very rare usage (only if someone shows up without ham) using GRMS/FRS with reasonable power settings.. I have a Yaesu, which is Japanese. Who knows I may have modified it.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
thanks for your service, sorry to hear about the RF but I’ve met enough operators/techs (military and civilian) that I take the whole exposure thing seriously. Way back when I climbed poles but then it was more avoiding high voltage and creosote saturated splinters.

i used the Topsy mounts and put them midway at the fender. I measured and actually my dual band on the right side is furthest away from me - even further than the Firefly mounted at the rear. 2-doors are...short. I originally had it mounted a bit further forward but I was getting LED flutter when I transmitted at high power on 2m. The next fender bolt back and some ferrite chokes seems to have done the trick. The GMRS antenna is driver side but the radio maxes at 15 watts. Even then it is a few feet away from my noggin.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I think that I will study for my Technician license. I really don’t need Ham right now but, it sounds like it would be interesting to study for this “bunny slope” Ham license.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
one issue with modding is that often the transmit bandwidth isn’t right. For instanceat least one radio that can go wide only has options of 12.5 or 25 kHz bandwidth, while GMRS is 20 (on the higher power channels). So with the modded radio you’re either splattering or a bit quiet. I ended up with the Midland 15w mobile and a pair of the handhelds to cover down and have a loaner capability.

i do have a 20m mobile antenna sitting in the garage, thinking I might try and do an HF setup but frankly easier to just bring a buddipole and a bioeno battery and set up remote. HF while driving seems like a pita.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
one issue with modding is that often the transmit bandwidth isn’t right. For instanceat least one radio that can go wide only has options of 12.5 or 25 kHz bandwidth, while GMRS is 20 (on the higher power channels). So with the modded radio you’re either splattering or a bit quiet. I ended up with the Midland 15w mobile and a pair of the handhelds to cover down and have a loaner capability.

i do have a 20m mobile antenna sitting in the garage, thinking I might try and do an HF setup but frankly easier to just bring a buddipole and a bioeno battery and set up remote. HF while driving seems like a pita.
with Yaesu, if i remember, you just remove a jumper to unlock all the USA restrictions.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
with Yaesu, if i remember, you just remove a jumper to unlock all the USA restrictions.
I believe it - haven’t done it but have seen videos of 10m radios being modded to do CB, either through physical mod or via software. One problem is that mod may not give you complete control over other parameters such as channel bandwidth. Some radios give you numeric choices indicating bandwidth, others will call it wide or narrow. What constitutes wide and narrow has changed over the years, but currently 25khz is wide, 12.5khz is narrow for VHF. Digital modes like DMR or D-Star are different still. Iirc, the Motorola CPS would let you do 12.5, 20, or 25khz for a channel. Anytone only gives you 12.5 or 25khz. FRS is 12.5khz but GMRS is 20khz. If one was using a ham radio for GMRS, running 25khz bandwidth would result in splatter on adjacent channels. Running 12.5khz causes less interference, but you’re leaving some performance on the table.

That said, as noted above this stuff isn’t really enforced unless you’re either causing major interference for hams or mess with public service frequencies. Often when radios are modded for wideband operation they can transmit on some police/fire/ems frequencies. That is a huge issue, both legally and from a public service perspective.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
thanks for your service, sorry to hear about the RF but I’ve met enough operators/techs (military and civilian) that I take the whole exposure thing seriously. Way back when I climbed poles but then it was more avoiding high voltage and creosote saturated splinters.

i used the Topsy mounts and put them midway at the fender. I measured and actually my dual band on the right side is furthest away from me - even further than the Firefly mounted at the rear. 2-doors are...short. I originally had it mounted a bit further forward but I was getting LED flutter when I transmitted at high power on 2m. The next fender bolt back and some ferrite chokes seems to have done the trick. The GMRS antenna is driver side but the radio maxes at 15 watts. Even then it is a few feet away from my noggin.
Thanks. I've been researching on whether or not to place my antenna closer to my windshield or more towards the middle of the hood going towards the front driver's side. Awesome thread.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I believe it - haven’t done it but have seen videos of 10m radios being modded to do CB, either through physical mod or via software. One problem is that mod may not give you complete control over other parameters such as channel bandwidth. Some radios give you numeric choices indicating bandwidth, others will call it wide or narrow. What constitutes wide and narrow has changed over the years, but currently 25khz is wide, 12.5khz is narrow for VHF. Digital modes like DMR or D-Star are different still. Iirc, the Motorola CPS would let you do 12.5, 20, or 25khz for a channel. Anytone only gives you 12.5 or 25khz. FRS is 12.5khz but GMRS is 20khz. If one was using a ham radio for GMRS, running 25khz bandwidth would result in splatter on adjacent channels. Running 12.5khz causes less interference, but you’re leaving some performance on the table.

That said, as noted above this stuff isn’t really enforced unless you’re either causing major interference for hams or mess with public service frequencies. Often when radios are modded for wideband operation they can transmit on some police/fire/ems frequencies. That is a huge issue, both legally and from a public service perspective.
I am not ambitious enough to mod to cb frequencies.

OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I moved the Larsen to the front, it died and I replaced it with a backup Diamond I had. I also put an HF rig in there. I’m really happy now. No wires showing anywhere. If you have questions just ask.
Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** D1C57786-6F7C-4114-AF3E-200BB660D086

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** F293D15A-B08F-4430-BCC6-7478F395B19A

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** FE488DC3-40F1-42B6-A3E8-CB91EC64EF5E

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** CD00C5B8-FC91-49BB-9459-B85C26A84877

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting thread, I have a Ham (Yaesu FTM-400XDR) with the body installed on the passenger side of the console. I have it's face plate mounted on a Lido L-Max Deluxe bracket (super sturdy) along with the faceplate for my GMRS (Wouxun KG-1000G). I also have two microphones on the Lido. I haven't yet mounted the Wouxun, but thanks to this thread I think I'll mount it on the passenger side by the door, like someone posted here.

I really want to mount both radios under the driver's seat. I haven't found a good solution for that, so giving up I guess. I have an ARB Dual Compressor under the passenger seat. Here's a pic of the two faceplates and microphones.

faceplates-mounted.jpeg

wgwgoldwing

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
That radio looks familiar....

Here is how I mounted mine:

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 20220808_192352

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 20220808_192409

I usually unmount the face plate when I park and lock it up in the center console. The bulletpoint mount is just a spring type clamp. Holds the face plate well and easy to remove.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 20220808_192518

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 20220808_192509

Radio is mounted under the driver's seat and I just keep the mic in the back seat cup holder. It's easily accessible while driving.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 20220808_192639

Mounted the antenna on the driver's side:
Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 20220808_192239

WGW

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I like where you mounted your radio body, not sure if my Goose Gear platform will give me access to that spot. My plan was (and might still be) to mount the Yaesu FTM-400XDR and the Wouxun KG-1000G under the driver's seat. Maybe I need to use a piece of plywood, mount both radio bodies, then secure it under the driver's seat. I just want to make sure I can reach them when needed. For example I keep a microSD card in the Yaesu for backup and programming.
Sponsored