Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
Mounted the antenna on the driver's side:
Bill, nice set-up and the FTM-400XDR is one of my favorites. Query: How well does that COMPACtenna perform (and which specific model is it) and what shortcomings are you seeing with it, if any?

My plan was (and might still be) to mount the Yaesu FTM-400XDR and the Wouxun KG-1000G under the driver's seat. Maybe I need to use a piece of plywood, mount both radio bodies, then secure it under the driver's seat.
Don, on my ā€˜19 MOAB I mounted my Powerwerx Ham/GMRS/PS radio (remote), Uniden CB radio (remote), siren controller (for my volunteer rescue medic duties), Havis ChargeGuard, and Blue Sea power distribution box on a piece of plywood and then mounted it under the passenger seat. Unfortunately, Iā€™m on the road in my Charger on business and canā€™t send you pics, but it butts up almost against the underseat vent on the front and extends to the seat mounts in the rear, then goes side-to-side (maybe something like 12x12 or 12x14?). Works fairly well with most everything screwed down to the plywood except the CB radio which (weighs virtually nothing) is Velcroā€™d to the top of the Blue Sea box (I ran out of real estate). I do not touch my vehicle wiring anywhere; I brought a 12ga stranded lead straight from the battery (and fused right there at the battery) thru the firewall and directly to the ChargeGuard (which is a dip switch programmable power shutoff timer) and then from there to the Blue Sea box (with its individual fuses). I master ground at the bottom of the passenger seat rear bolt (as I recall; itā€™s been two years since I did it) and all the radios and such are powered thru the Blue Sea (with the ChargeGuard shutting the Blue Sea down 15 minutes after I turn off the ignition). If I need to get into anything, I push the passenger seat all the way forward and I have pretty easy access from the back seat to everything (my recollection is that at original install, I loosened the front seat bolts and removed the rear seat bolts to slip the plywood in and the bottom of the plywood just has Velcro applied to prevent the board from sliding; but in reality, there is nowhere for it to go). All of my fog, driving, and warning lights (and Warn power interrupt kit for the winch) are thru a separate switched and fused weather resistant power distribution box under the hood with its own cable that runs into the passenger compartment to its master switch control. All work well.
Sponsored

wgwgoldwing

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Bill, nice set-up and the FTM-400XDR is one of my favorites. Query: How well does that COMPACtenna perform (and which specific model is it) and what shortcomings are you seeing with it, if any?
It's the 2M-440 model. No complaints. I have also tried a Comet CA-2x4SR and they seem to be pretty much equal in performance. Didn't do any formal performance testing, just normal use. The Comet is just too tall for my garage. The COMPACtenna fits my needs perfectly.

I forgot to mention, that I also installed the WIZ, because the under seat mounting location muffled the speaker too much. Couldn't get enough volume. I wired the WIZ into the driver's upper dash speaker. It's okay, but I think the lower dash speaker might produce a better sound. Debating on moving it or maybe even upgrading all the speakers.

Thanks,

WGW

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Don, on my ā€˜19 MOAB I mounted my Powerwerx Ham/GMRS/PS radio (remote), Uniden CB radio (remote), siren controller (for my volunteer rescue medic duties), Havis ChargeGuard, and Blue Sea power distribution box on a piece of plywood and then mounted it under the passenger seat. Unfortunately, Iā€™m on the road in my Charger on business and canā€™t send you pics, but it butts up almost against the underseat vent on the front and extends to the seat mounts in the rear, then goes side-to-side (maybe something like 12x12 or 12x14?). Works fairly well with most everything screwed down to the plywood except the CB radio which (weighs virtually nothing) is Velcroā€™d to the top of the Blue Sea box (I ran out of real estate). I do not touch my vehicle wiring anywhere; I brought a 12ga stranded lead straight from the battery (and fused right there at the battery) thru the firewall and directly to the ChargeGuard (which is a dip switch programmable power shutoff timer) and then from there to the Blue Sea box (with its individual fuses). I master ground at the bottom of the passenger seat rear bolt (as I recall; itā€™s been two years since I did it) and all the radios and such are powered thru the Blue Sea (with the ChargeGuard shutting the Blue Sea down 15 minutes after I turn off the ignition). If I need to get into anything, I push the passenger seat all the way forward and I have pretty easy access from the back seat to everything (my recollection is that at original install, I loosened the front seat bolts and removed the rear seat bolts to slip the plywood in and the bottom of the plywood just has Velcro applied to prevent the board from sliding; but in reality, there is nowhere for it to go). All of my fog, driving, and warning lights (and Warn power interrupt kit for the winch) are thru a separate switched and fused weather resistant power distribution box under the hood with its own cable that runs into the passenger compartment to its master switch control. All work well.
I'm sooo close to moving both HAM/GMRS radios to under the driver's seat. My only concern is dust/dirt/water/mud. :) I have a Goose Gear full plate in my JLUR, with cubby space behind both of the front seats. I've been thinking of mounting them back to back and standing them up in one of the cubby holes. If I do it, I'd sit the bracket (that they'd be attached to) in a plastic container, so they're protected from dirt/water.

The Goose Gear platform itself has plenty of gaps in the seams to allow air flow. Here's my updated blog post. I added more wiring info and pics. The electronics are in the small cubby hole by the fridge which is positioned opposite the Sub.

https://donmontalvo.com/2022/08/14/lido-radio-mount-ftw/

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** DonM 2022-08-17 at 17.54.30

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I'm a radio nerd and starting to rethink my plans. My original plan was to have a GMRS 50 watt mobile, 2 GMRS HT's, and a 2m/70cm HT. I've already taken most of the steps toward this. However, I'm now thinking I might just ditch the mobile GMRS unit, keep the GMRS HT's, and get a mobile 2m/70cm unit. Here's some pics of my current setup.

Yaesu FT-70D, jeepuniq mount, 67 designs arm, CMM ball. You can also hang a mic just below the HT which is where I originally thought the GMRS mic would go.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 2022-08-25_Jeep_001

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 2022-08-25_Jeep_002

Just picked up these new bad boys, Wouxun KG-S88G. I really like that they charge through USB, I try to have all my gear sustainable from vehicle power, FT-70D uses a cigarette adapter.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 2022-08-25_Jeep_004

They live in maxpedition RPD cases on the backseat. Average size adults fit comfortably without hitting them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 2022-08-25_Jeep_003

I do like this system but I would get more day to day enjoyment with ham primary and GMRS secondary.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I'm a radio nerd and starting to rethink my plans. My original plan was to have a GMRS 50 watt mobile, 2 GMRS HT's, and a 2m/70cm HT. I've already taken most of the steps toward this. However, I'm now thinking I might just ditch the mobile GMRS unit, keep the GMRS HT's, and get a mobile 2m/70cm unit. Here's some pics of my current setup.

Yaesu FT-70D, jeepuniq mount, 67 designs arm, CMM ball. You can also hang a mic just below the HT which is where I originally thought the GMRS mic would go.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 2022-08-25_Jeep_003

Just picked up these new bad boys, Wouxun KG-S88G. I really like that they charge through USB, I try to have all my gear sustainable from vehicle power, FT-70D uses a cigarette adapter.

They live in maxpedition RPD cases on the backseat. Average size adults fit comfortably without hitting them.

I do like this system but I would get more day to day enjoyment with ham primary and GMRS secondary.
Sweet set up!! I'm only using radios .5% of the time in the rig and don't want to give up a bunch of real estate to one but want to have them onboard.

Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
@DrPerez007, can you post pics, please? It sounds like this is the perfect setup. Thank you!

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
@DrPerez007, can you post pics, please? It sounds like this is the perfect setup. Thank you!
Since I havenā€™t been under there recently, I went back out today and looked it over. The board is 1/2ā€ plywood painted black. It is 9ā€ front-to-back and 13ā€ side-to-side, although it looks like you could actually go 10ā€ by 14ā€ (or even slightly larger) which would make it very snug (although my board has never moved). Everything is Velcroā€™d or screwed to the board. Since hardly anyone ever rides in the back the airflow from under the seat is not really an issue. Once I got back under there, I recalled that I moved the siren controller to under the driverā€™s seat. I also use a portable radio for other (work like) purposes and if I need an external antenna I have one up under the dash I can pull down (again using a NGP antenna mounted on the right front MOPAR driving light mount).

Passenger seat with no visible telltale signs
Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 1EC5AD1D-4293-45EB-8262-693BB12B3FE1

Back seat looking down to passenger seat back and Jeep floor mat. Again, no telltale signs
Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 9C7108FC-6FA5-4749-934E-9EDCCE03B816

Front passenger seat moved forward (and floor mat bent back) and you are looking at the Blue Sea power distribution box (lower left), CB remote radio Velcroā€™d on top of it, and the Powerwerx remote radio on right. The wiring looks messier than it really is šŸ˜‚. As mentioned, I run a fused 12ga stranded wire directly from the battery to the Blue Sea and grab a ground from the seat bolt. Antenna(s) for both radios come from rear tailgate (both NGP)
Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 6FDC755E-6B16-4F4D-A438-E5023DCC749D

Thatā€™s the Blue Sea power box with CB removed and Havis ChargeGuard (with yellow indicator light) in background
Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 0962A70F-0476-4C7C-8D8A-3006BBC84DB4

CB back on top of Blue Sea power box
Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** C19A6FAE-EFFE-4D65-8847-3EB8F1A940D7

A poor picture from under the front of the passenger seat looking backwards. On your left is the Powerwerx radio with some excess cable coiled to the right
Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** BFE8F851-CE88-4AEA-951D-9852F1738199

Last edited:

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
@DrPerez007,
Thank you so much, I believe that is the direction I will go.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
@DrPerez007,
Thank you so much, I believe that is the direction I will go.
One correction to note. I run the 12ga fused and stranded wire from the battery to the Havis ChargeGuard and then to the Blue Sea power distribution box. This also prevents parasitic draw from any of the devices when the ChargeGuard shuts down and powers off the Blue Sea. That ChargeGuard is adjustable and in the MOAB it is set for 15 minutes, but in my TJ, for example, it is set for an hour.

My personal opinion is that the under seat location (at least on the passenger side) is the best location on JLs (and likely JTs) to mount multiple items (using a board). Good room, out of the way, safe and dry (assuming you are not fording with water running into the passenger compartment), and not readily seen by anyone. Getting power there is relatively easy and ground is available.

Best of luck to all.

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
One correction to note. I run the 12ga fused and stranded wire from the battery to the Havis ChargeGuard and then to the Blue Sea power distribution box. This also prevents parasitic draw from any of the devices when the ChargeGuard shuts down and powers off the Blue Sea. That ChargeGuard is adjustable and in the MOAB it is set for 15 minutes, but in my TJ, for example, it is set for an hour.

My personal opinion is that the under seat location (at least on the passenger side) is the best location on JLs (and likely JTs) to mount multiple items (using a board). Good room, out of the way, safe and dry (assuming you are not fording with water running into the passenger compartment), and not readily seen by anyone. Getting power there is relatively easy and ground is available.

Best of luck to all.
Is there a downside to under driverā€™s seat, in comparison to under passenger? Thanks

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Is there a downside to under driverā€™s seat, in comparison to under passenger? Thanks
Not per se that I am aware of, but then again I havenā€™t tried to mount a board under the driverā€™s seat, just a couple of other things Velcroā€™d to the carpet. The driverā€™s seat always gets used if the vehicle is in operation as opposed to the passenger seat which may only see the occasional derriĆØre (or as we say in Wisconsin, ā€œdairy airā€). This means the daily driver, the alternate driver(s), and the occasional mechanic driver are all likely moving that seat, which runs the risk of catching something or, perhaps, exposing equipment to possible damage (whereas for me, the passenger seat is pushed all the way back and left that way). Because people track in the outdoor elements (snow, sand, mud, water, etc.), there is more of a chance in the driverā€™s seat that some of that will end up into the equipment. Because of limited real estate in the JLā€™s, I also mount a couple of speakers under the driverā€™s seat facing forward, so I prefer not to have them encumbered by a tray of other equipment.

Also, if I am somewhere working on the board where I donā€™t have access to a second vehicle and I need to run for a part or something, I donā€™t have to button-up the driverā€™s seat to drive it. While the driverā€™s seat is closer to the firewall access for power, running a few extra feet of 12ga wire from the battery to the passenger seat is of no moment.

All-in-all, I find the passenger side more advantageous.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Not per se that I am aware of, but then again I havenā€™t tried to mount a board under the driverā€™s seat, just a couple of other things Velcroā€™d to the carpet. The driverā€™s seat always gets used if the vehicle is in operation as opposed to the passenger seat which may only see the occasional derriĆØre (or as we say in Wisconsin, ā€œdairy airā€). This means the daily driver, the alternate driver(s), and the occasional mechanic driver are all likely moving that seat, which runs the risk of catching something or, perhaps, exposing equipment to possible damage (whereas for me, the passenger seat is pushed all the way back and left that way). Because people track in the outdoor elements (snow, sand, mud, water, etc.), there is more of a chance in the driverā€™s seat that some of that will end up into the equipment. Because of limited real estate in the JLā€™s, I also mount a couple of speakers under the driverā€™s seat facing forward, so I prefer not to have them encumbered by a tray of other equipment.

Also, if I am somewhere working on the board where I donā€™t have access to a second vehicle and I need to run for a part or something, I donā€™t have to button-up the driverā€™s seat to drive it. While the driverā€™s seat is closer to the firewall access for power, running a few extra feet of 12ga wire from the battery to the passenger seat is of no moment.

All-in-all, I find the passenger side more advantageous.
Super helpful, thank you!

VE3BBB

First Name
Gray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JL
Hello
May I ask: Where did you buy this white antenna mount?
Thanks

Jeep Wrangler JL Ham Radio Install w/ Pics **Update 3 Years Later** 20220808_1922390

That radio looks familiar....

Here is how I mounted mine:

20220808_192352.jpg

20220808_192409.jpg

I usually unmount the face plate when I park and lock it up in the center console. The bulletpoint mount is just a spring type clamp. Holds the face plate well and easy to remove.

20220808_192518.jpg

20220808_192509.jpg

Radio is mounted under the driver's seat and I just keep the mic in the back seat cup holder. It's easily accessible while driving.

20220808_192639.jpg

Mounted the antenna on the driver's side:
20220808_192239.jpg

WGW
[/引ē”Ø]

wgwgoldwing

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
My son made if for me. He has a CNC machine. It's made out of a solid piece of aluminum.
Sponsored