Ham Radio Antenna Install

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
With the new bolt pattern on the windshield pillar, I was unable to use my Rugged Radio antenna mount from the JK on the new JL.

Since I'm not a big fan of mounting the antenna on the tailgate, I wanted to keep the mount near the front of the vehicle.

However, I found that the standard NMO right-angle antenna bracket did not provide enough clearance from the body for the base of the antenna.

So, off to the the metal fabrication shop. A nice piece of stainless was cut to extend the mount away from the body.

The antenna and power cable are routed through the firewall near the brake booster.

I have a Yaesu FT-8900R unit under the passenger seat and the control head is mounted with Scotch clear double-side tape in front of the shift selector. The speaker is mounted to the front edge of the console using the same tape.

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_2119.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
Hi Bill ... I'll check on having several made.

Depending upon the type of antenna mount one uses, the hole size could be 3/8", 5/8", or 3/4".

Ask your friend what hole size would be needed. :)

It's made of 16 gauge stainless to accommodate an NMO Thin (i.e roof) mount. Much thicker and it won't fit under the trim panel.

That said, the limitation of 16 gauge would be about a 4' antenna. I'm using the Comet SBB-14NMO tri-band antenna for 6m/2m/440.

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am also interested.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Hi Bill ... I'll check on having several made.

Depending upon the type of antenna mount one uses, the hole size could be 3/8", 5/8", or 3/4".

Ask your friend what hole size would be needed. :)

It's made of 16 gauge stainless to accommodate an NMO Thin (i.e roof) mount. Much thicker and it won't fit under the trim panel.

That said, the limitation of 16 gauge would be about a 4' antenna. I'm using the Comet SBB-14NMO tri-band antenna for 6m/2m/440.
I would be using a Diamond NMO antenna mount. My antenna is a dual band, 38.2".

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
Hello Harry:

I read your post with the nice photos when I was getting ready to do my antenna install. I have a collection of those Larsen "L" mounts from over the years, so it was natural to grab one of them first. I was surprised when it didn't provide enough lateral clearance for the base of the antenna.

I can't imagine that the body panels are any different, but yours certainly does fit nicely.

I'm going to have the metal fabrication shop make a few more for those in need.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Hello Harry:

I read your post with the nice photos when I was getting ready to do my antenna install. I have a collection of those Larsen "L" mounts from over the years, so it was natural to grab one of them first. I was surprised when it didn't provide enough lateral clearance for the base of the antenna.

I can't imagine that the body panels are any different, but yours certainly does fit nicely.

I'm going to have the metal fabrication shop make a few more for those in need.
Yeah I thought it tight at first but having installed many NMO mounts in roofs mostly I just held the antenna threads outboard and it worked out fine. It's tight but there's still a 1/16" gap or more at the apron. It's flexible too so snapping the plastic on was easy

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
have a collection of those Larsen "L" mounts from over the years, so it was natural to grab one of them first. I was surprised when it didn't provide enough lateral clearance for the base of the antenna.
One of the other changes you made was a longer radius on the outer corner of the bracket. It may not actually be any safer, but it feels safer, and the aesthetics really spoke to me. I appreciate both @Hgrace 's ingenuity and your refinements. And of course, thanks in advance for having a few more made.

PriamX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 CJ-2A, 2019 JLU
I'm going to be installing a Yaesu FT-857D in my JL...can you share how you mounted your radio under the seat? I saw there was a vent under there and was trying to come up with a method to get the radio above the vent.

Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
Hi Mike ... I used the term "mounted" somewhat freely as the unit is not permanently affixed. I first put the mobile bracket on the radio and it elevated it above the vent under the passenger seat. However, not being fastened, it did move around some. So, I then placed the unit on the rubber floor mat just behind the passenger seat. I had previously removed the rear seat, so that floor space was not subject to any foot traffic and works nicely for keeping small items at hand ... including the Yaesu unit.

OP
OP
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
NMO Fender Mounts Available ...

The metal fabrication shop made several extra NMO fender mounts.

They are 16 gauge stainless ... either with or without holes for the sheet metal screws.

I also have two that will fit on a JK. The fender is slightly different on that model.

Let me know if you would like one.

IMG_2219.JPG

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
NMO Fender Mounts Available ...

The metal fabrication shop made several extra NMO fender mounts.

They are 16 gauge stainless ... either with or without holes for the sheet metal screws.

I also have two that will fit on a JK. The fender is slightly different on that model.

Let me know if you would like one.

IMG_2219.JPG
I would like one, please. I do not need the holes for the sheet metal screws
Thanks

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
Whats the trick to getting the panel off where you installed the mount?

OP
OP
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
The panel easily comes off by removing the 4 black screws ... two on the topside just in front of the windshield hinge, and two on the side. They are different lengths and you shouldn't have a problem keeping them separated. You will need a T-40 driver to remove the four screws.
Sponsored