Ham Radio Antenna Install on A-Pillar Bracket

Jeepers333

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Just completed my install of my HF Scorpion 680S antenna on the passenger side A-Pillar LED bracket I purchased from Quadratec. My rag top wouldn't allow rooftop mounting and anything around the bumper, license plate etc would significantly reduce its effectiveness with ground losses and capacitance issues from sheet metal. Decided to mount it on the A-Pillar bracket we have all seen holding LED lights. Just had to increase the forward hole to 1" diameter. Lots of room under the bracket for two large Mix 31 RF chokes from DXEngineering. Made a boost power supply for the 18-19v needed to power the Scorpion screwdriver antenna motor and interfaced it with a TuneMatic auto tuner. I did make an ABS cover to keep the chokes secure under the bracket and protect them from bugs and branches.

0805191728.jpg

0805191728_HDR.jpg

0805191728a.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
at a glance it kinda looks like a homebrew snorkel. What the range on something like that?

OP
OP
Jeepers333

Jeepers333

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
at a glance it kinda looks like a homebrew snorkel. What the range on something like that?
Well, with a 3" coil and 102" whip, 100w all mode Yaesu FT-891and decent band conditions, I expect to easily log many overseas DX QSOs. Just completed install today so still need to set up the tuning and will post results here. I briefly considered adding a snorkel intake at the top, just for s*#ts and giggles. Very robust antenna and mount.

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
Hey Jim:

Thanks to your good info and nice install, I purchased the Mopar LED light mounting brackets for my tri-band (6m, 2m, 70cm) antenna.

While the previous angle bracket was adequate, bouncing over rocks on the trails was giving it quite a workout.

Now, with that sturdy bracket, there's no movement except for the whip. I'll likely mount a CB antenna on the opposite side for communications on group rides.

IMG_2359.JPG

OP
OP
Jeepers333

Jeepers333

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Hey Jim:

Thanks to your good info and nice install, I purchased the Mopar LED light mounting brackets for my tri-band (6m, 2m, 70cm) antenna.

While the previous angle bracket was adequate, bouncing over rocks on the trails was giving it quite a workout.

Now, with that sturdy bracket, there's no movement except for the whip. I'll likely mount a CB antenna on the opposite side for communications on group rides.

IMG_2359.JPG
Great to hear that it's working for you!

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Hey Jim:

IMG_2359.JPG
I like the idea of using these brackets for an antenna mount. I'm looking to actually move my CB antenna from the rear to the front. However, I'd still like to have the option of attaching lights to it in the future. So, I bought an L-bracket, got it powder coated, and am thinking about welding it to the mount as shown below.

newcbmount.jpg

OP
OP
Jeepers333

Jeepers333

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I like the idea of using these brackets for an antenna mount. I'm looking to actually move my CB antenna from the rear to the front. However, I'd still like to have the option of attaching lights to it in the future. So, I bought an L-bracket, got it powder coated, and am thinking about welding it to the mount as shown below.

newcbmount.jpg
Yeah, the new position will definitely improve your xmt/rcv on CB. Have you considered just bolting it to the vertical surface that has two holes already there? The rear hole should give you plenty of strength for that mount and you won't have to worry about welding on two powder coated surfaces. Just my $.02 worth.

OP
OP
Jeepers333

Jeepers333

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
@Jeepers333 great setup! Can't imagine you would have any problems working the world with that set up.
Something neat about talking all over the world from your Jeep, I certainly enjoy it.
Thanks! Yep, this location solves the ground losses and capacitance coupling issues from installing it near the bumper. This also allows me to get in to the garage without any issues of clearance. Yeah, setting up WinLink nover HF next.

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
Speaking of grounding and capacitance ...

With the thick powder coating on the bracket, I was unable to get any sort of ground continuity.

So, rather than scrape off the nice coating, I added a braided ground strap to the underside of the antenna mount.

With the braid being flat, it easily went under the plastic trim where I then secured it to metal. Voilà !

Antenna Ground.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepers333

Jeepers333

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU

With the thick powder coating on the bracket, I was unable to get any sort of ground continuity.

So, rather than scrape off the nice coating, I added a braided ground strap to the underside of the antenna mount.

With the braid being flat, it easily went under the plastic trim where I then secured it to metal. Voilà !

Antenna Ground.jpg
Great idea. Very clean install! Nice.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase

I agree, a great idea. Thanks!

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Hey Jim:

IMG_2359.JPG
Is this an NMO mount? What is your tri-band antenna? How is it holding up? Thanks Stan WA4FNV

OP
OP
Jeepers333

Jeepers333

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
My tribander is a supergainer and too tall to get into the garage. I use the Diamond NR770HNMO dual bander with NMO mount. Works great! Just touches the tip when entering/departing the garage. Holding up well! Jim KJ7CEB

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
My tribander is a supergainer and too tall to get into the garage. I use the Diamond NR770HNMO dual bander with NMO mount. Works great! Just touches the tip when entering/departing the garage. Holding up well! Jim KJ7CEB
I am using that antenna also. Works great.
JD
W8BWD
Sponsored