OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry all - just got back from a long business trip. will try to shoot some photos later today/tomorrow
Sponsored

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Would love photos as well, thank you in advance. also would appreciate the part number for radio mount.

OP
OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the delay and the messy wires underneath. It's been 16 degrees in the am and I haven't bothered to dress the wires as of yet.

You will see that I pushed the coax and head unit wires into the rubber weather seal between the windshield and glass. I accomplished this by lowering the windshield. You can also route the wires from battery through the cowling after the windshield has been lowered.

IMG_20190306_075818.jpg

IMG_20190306_075820.jpg

IMG_20190306_075830.jpg

IMG_20190306_075845.jpg

IMG_20190306_075905.jpg

IMG_20190306_075917.jpg

IMG_20190306_075929.jpg

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜73 CJ5, ā€˜19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sorry for the delay and the messy wires underneath. It's been 16 degrees in the am and I haven't bothered to dress the wires as of yet.

You will see that I pushed the coax and head unit wires into the rubber weather seal between the windshield and glass. I accomplished this by lowering the windshield. You can also route the wires from battery through the cowling after the windshield has been lowered.
This is a good looking install. Did you use Velcro to attach the unit to the kick panel or did you screw or bolt it? Also, how is your antenna mount working out? I would be a little worried about the strength of the panel it is attached to.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored

OP
OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This is a good looking install. Did you use Velcro to attach the unit to the kick panel or did you screw or bolt it? Also, how is your antenna mount working out? I would be a little worried about the strength of the panel it is attached to.

Thanks
Mark

I screwed it via the mounting bracket

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Thanks for the pics.

Gkatnh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Green '99 WJ; White '18 JLUR
Any SWR issues with mounting this way? Have you radio checked to confirm TX and RX by any chance? I've been searching for a good JL install for some time... and yours looks fabulous! I'm used to having an abundance of metal ground planes from the vehicle... so the Wrangler makes me a little worried.

OP
OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Any SWR issues with mounting this way? Have you radio checked to confirm TX and RX by any chance? I've been searching for a good JL install for some time... and yours looks fabulous! I'm used to having an abundance of metal ground planes from the vehicle... so the Wrangler makes me a little worried.
i haven't gotten around to testing swr because weather has been so cold, work, life, etc but i have not problems calling repeaters within 25 miles from my location.

Gkatnh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Green '99 WJ; White '18 JLUR
i haven't gotten around to testing swr because weather has been so cold, work, life, etc but i have not problems calling repeaters within 25 miles from my location.
Thanks for the reply. If you ever do... please update. 73

Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
Near the end of this video, there's an install where the guy mounts the base unit up high in the back. Its not a JL but I can see where I could mount mine on my Maximus-3 roof bar bracket up high in the back. Guess there is some concern if you do regular water crossings ( I dont ), a unit mounted low or under a seat could get wet. Ive also heard that some base units can get really hot some having some more air circulation around it can help.

Last edited:

AdiosEsposito

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon (2-door)
Near the end of this video, there's an install where the guy mounts the base unit up high in the back. Its not a JL but I can see where I could mount mine on my Maximus-3 roof bar bracket up high in the back. Guess there is some concern if you do regular water crossings ( I dont ), a unit mounted low or under a seat could get wet. Ive also heard that some base units can get really hot some having some more air circulation around it can help.
Which video are you talking about? Am I missing something?

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
Which video are you talking about? Am I missing something?
Sorry, would have helped if I attached the link! Most of the video is trailreconā€™s install but at end is the part where his friend mounts his base unit up high.

If the link doesnā€™t work
Search for ā€œMobile Ham radio installā€ on Trailreconā€™s YouTube Channel

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
@voodoo11, thanks for the additional pics. Just got my FTM400 in the mail, getting ready for the install.
Sponsored