Sponsored

HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup?

What is your off-road comms setup?

• HAM

• CB

• FRS

• GMRS

Results are only viewable after voting.

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
My range sucks. I think my antennae is in a sucky spot. On one of the bolts holding the cowl on.
I'm thinking about moving mine from the roof to the A-pillar just so I can leave it up all the time and not hit trees offroad and drive thrus/garages in town.
Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking about moving mine from the roof to the A-pillar just so I can leave it up all the time and not hit trees offroad and drive thrus/garages in town.
I bought one of the cool tech mounts and 6db antennae I just haven’t mounted it yet. I hope that helps

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
So these antennas need a metal mounting point to get the best reception? Am I understanding that correctly?

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
another dumb question, why would one choose the 400 over the 275? Outside of the obvious power difference? Is there a feature one has over the other?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
So these antennas need a metal mounting point to get the best reception? Am I understanding that correctly?
I've heard different opinions on this with GMRS. Luckily I have already grounded my tailgate to my frame for my CB antenna (with great results) so the cool tech tail gate mount would be very well grounded on my jeep. It's just the idea of routing another cable that makes me wince.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Yes, the antenna needs to have a good (electrical) ground. This is the primary (only?) reason that we don't put paint our powdercoating on our mounts. But, the other thing that really makes an antenna perform is a "ground plane" - typically a nice flat horizontal (planar) surface would work well. At the back of the Jeep, this is hard to find! As for the hood, it would be best for performance to be dead center - but that would sure look kind of dorky. So, choices are side of hood versus rear of Jeep. Might be kind of a coin flip but in theory hood area should have a slight advantage.

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
another dumb question, why would one choose the 400 over the 275? Outside of the obvious power difference? Is there a feature one has over the other?
275 is best for Jeep. Limited space makes having all the controls on the mic great. I've been using it on my offroading trips and like it a lot. I use Midland's ghost antenna. The 275 is made by Midland. The 400 is just a Chinese unit branded by Midland. You can find copies of it on Amazon. 15 watts will get you plenty far.

Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I disagree!!! It's not a dumb question! (lol)

We are selling Midland's radios now and have opted to stock both the 275 and the 400. My personal opinion is that the 275 is the best choice for *most* Wrangler owners. It is simply so dang easy to "mount" - because you really don't have to mount anything. Just use our MicMount (or equivalent) and you're done. But for the real enthusiasts who wants every bit of power available, the 40-watt output of the MXT400 is tough to beat.

We have a GMRS all-in-one bundle on the website that provides everything you need as a Jeep JL owner to get into GMRS. The bundle includes the MXT275 Radio, Midland's best 6db antenna, Midland's coax (with removable end for routing), our JL NMO Ant mounting bracket and our MicMount. We have that at an introductory pricing.... to try to help get a long overdue groundswell from CB to GMRS going! This bundle is here.

We're working on a way for those folks who purchased our JL CB antenna bracket in the past to re-use this bracket with the Midland 6db 32" antenna and Midland coax.

Last edited:

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Here's how I mounted my antenna. I used a fender mount that I bent up into the right shape to fit on the rear corner and used some self-tapping screws to hold it. I think this gives a better ground plane than a hinge mount. Not perfect but about as good as it gets on a Jeep. I can easily hit repeaters about 20 miles away with it and the antenna only sticks up a couple inches above the roof line so it doesn't get snagged on things.

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? IMG_20181222_122946

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? IMG_20181222_122955

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Yes, the antenna needs to have a good (electrical) ground. This is the primary (only?) reason that we don't put paint our powdercoating on our mounts. But, the other thing that really makes an antenna perform is a "ground plane" - typically a nice flat horizontal (planar) surface would work well. At the back of the Jeep, this is hard to find! As for the hood, it would be best for performance to be dead center - but that would sure look kind of dorky. So, choices are side of hood versus rear of Jeep. Might be kind of a coin flip but in theory hood area should have a slight advantage.
I use a trunk lip mount on the rear of my hood for my GMRS antenna (The fenders were already tied up with Ham and fire radio antennas). The antenna tuned up nice VSWR wise. The radiation pattern may be skewed a bit, but it does what I need.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
Yes, the antenna needs to have a good (electrical) ground.
Not true, unless the antenna has a motor or tuner at the antenna no electrical ground is needed.

This is the primary (only?) reason that we don't put paint our powdercoating on our mounts.
This is great because there are many companies that do paint/powdercoat their mounts and it causes more issues than it solves, but it is because the antenna needs a ground plane not an electrical ground.

At the back of the Jeep, this is hard to find! As for the hood, it would be best for performance to be dead center - but that would sure look kind of dorky.
But name your vehicle the Rhino and it's now it's cool.... or Narwhal if you prefer. :LOL:

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
The 400 does not have WX channels which can be handy. I can tune them in on my ham radio as well, but it's easier to reach down and hit the button on the 275.
Sponsored