Sponsored

HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup?

What is your off-road comms setup?

• HAM

• CB

• FRS

• GMRS

Results are only viewable after voting.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
We think that GMRS will *eventually* start to win out over the stranglehold that CB has had as the long-standing standard for off-road communication. CB entered the scene in the late 50's and grew in popularity in the 70's and 80's. As others have noted it is in the 27MHz frequency and amplitude modulated (AM) which was a less costly method of transmitting. The low frequency, long wavelength, AM signal is very susceptible to interference - perhaps especially solar flare activity (seriously). For us, CB has exactly one (non-trivial) advantage over GMRS and that is its historic popularity... and that's it.

In contrast to CB, GMRS is in the UHF band at 462MHz and is FM. The signal is going to be much clearer in GMRS. GMRS also has much higher (legal) transmit power capabilities - it's common to see 15- 20 watt moblie receivers and up to 40-watts on the higher-cost mobile units. 50-watts is the limit - compared to a scant 4-watts for CB.

But in the Jeep world, there's yet another significant advantage that GMRS has over CB. Jeep's don't have a large metal roof as many other vehicles have. These large metal roofs provide an excellent ground-plane for an antenna - and it's just missing on a Jeep. This inherent disadvantage is much more of a deficit for the low frequency (long wavelength) CB radios. Ground planes are important for the best GMRS signal as well - but UHF-band radios are a little more tolerant of this.

All of this means that GMRS can significantly out-perform a CB radio - in both distance and clarity of signal. In some conditions, CB will give you a range of 2-3 miles whereas in those same conditions, GMRS may deliver 20+ mile capability. Suffice to say that although there may be a couple of very specific scenarios where CB might match or best a GMRS, in the VAST majority of scenarios, GMRS will be significantly better.

There IS a licensing requirement for GMRS, but it is almost trivial. No test and a $70 fee gets you a GMRS license good for 10-years and covers your immediate family.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
This is one of the "rules"

No continuous or uninterrupted transmissions (unless communications have to do with the immediate safety of life or property)

To me this reads as if I'm out with friends we can't have any discussions unless we are in danger? Is this just worded poorly?

Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Occupation
Dad
It just means you canā€™t constantly hold the PTT. If you do, youā€™re making it very difficult for anyone else to pass traffic. Have a conversation like normal.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
To me this reads as if I'm out with friends we can't have any discussions unless we are in danger? Is this just worded poorly?
Yes, exactly as Steven has said. The key word here is "continuous". They don't want you to play an ebook, political message, etc - essentially you cannot make GMRS your personal radio station. Conversations are fine and the intended purpose of GMRS.

Full transparency here... we will be launching an entire JL-oriented set of GMRS "solutions" within the next couple of days after having secured a partnership with Midland Radios.

Last edited:

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for clearing things up everyone

Sponsored

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, exactly as Steven has said. The key word here is "continuous". They don't want you to play an ebook, political message, etc - essentially you cannot make GMRS your personal radio station. Conversations are fine and the intended purpose of GMRS.

Full transparency here... we will be launching an entire JL-oriented set of GMRS "solutions" within the next couple of days after having secured a partnership with Midland Radios.
Iā€™m a few months into the forum and have a new Jeep/ ham radio question for the folks much wiser than I- Ive got a 2020 JLUR diesel and am trying to install my Kenwood D700 dual bander into it. The stumbling block I have is the antenna location and the lack of a proper ground plane. No rack on top either as I tow a small trailer with my gear. What have the JL Jeep folks been doing in locating their antennas?? Thanks much- John

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Iā€™m a few months into the forum and have a new Jeep/ ham radio question for the folks much wiser than I- Ive got a 2020 JLUR diesel and am trying to install my Kenwood D700 dual bander into it. The stumbling block I have is the antenna location and the lack of a proper ground plane. No rack on top either as I tow a small trailer with my gear. What have the JL Jeep folks been doing in locating their antennas?? Thanks much- John
I'm not sure the rack would do much to add a ground plane unless it had a large plated bottom! Anyway, the Jeeps have always been a tough nut to crack in getting a reasonable ground plane. Technically the front of the Jeep would be a good location in order to take advantage of the metal hood. However, from an aesthetics perspective, it seems that many prefer to mount the antenna at the rear of the Jeep. We have an NMO mount for the rear that is available now. We are almost done with a no-drill stainless steel NMO mount for the front of the Jeep JL/JT that is not nearly as large/complex as the Mopar light bracket.

Sponsored

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
The hood itself is "high-strength" aluminum.
I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with. I've had disappointing results with my GMRS thus far.

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
The hood itself is "high-strength" aluminum.
Well ... that's a relief. I knew it wasn't magnetic and much lighter than my JK.

I feel safer now ! ā˜ŗ

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
What do you not like about the GMRS unit? Where's your antenna?
My range sucks. I think my antennae is in a sucky spot. On one of the bolts holding the cowl on.
Sponsored