Sponsored

HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup?

What is your off-road comms setup?

• HAM

• CB

• FRS

• GMRS

Results are only viewable after voting.

Griff71

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLUR
I know the recommendation of which to choose is "what does everyone else have in your group?", but wanted to see which way the people in this group are leaning. Oh and feel free to share your setup and callsign if you have one.

My setup is currently a Baofeng UV-5R though I am considering Yaesu FT-3DR

de KF0AIV
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
cb is usually the common one in any group i've been in or event gone to.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
My primary is a Uniden CB. I also have onboard a Baofeng BF-F8HP.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
A Kenwood TM-D710GA Ham is now my primary. I also bring an Anytone Smart CB along when I'm on a trail run with other folks that only have CB. Have never ventured down the FRS/GMRS road, feels like the "halfway there" option to me. I ran a Cobra 75 for many years in my last Jeep, but never got great results from it.

KN6JFB

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
well I am looking for both would like to hear who has what in the way of a CB and a HAM i haven't been in that arena for some time now....

Sponsored

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Just started with GMRS. The results aren't fantastic with the Midland MTX275, but i just upgraded to the the 6db antennae so I hope it improves.

Also, where is everyone mounting their external speakers? I'm looking for a good spot. Thanks

Reactions: J0E

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Installed Kenwood TM-D710GA Ham Radio. The larger Proclip mount was perfect for the base and head unit. Did a quick test and spoke to my friend 8 miles away here in Tulsa. Range can go far beyond this though with the use of repeaters. Repeaters are Ham stations that recieve your signal, boost it and then re-transmit it from a much taller tower. Also some of these towers are "linked" via the internet. I was able to talk to a Tulsa buddy from 140 miles away in the Ozarks on my first trip with this Ham radio. Much better than CB. Only wish I did it sooner. Discussions you hear on ham radio are much more professional than CB. I also plan to use this radio to allow friends/family to track my GPS location in case I have problems. This function is called APRS or Automatic Packet Reporting System. For those of you who are interested don't let the studying and test scare you. It was fairly easy. There's 3 license levels. Technician, General and Extra. You only really need the first level to talk on UHF (420-450 Mhz) and VHF (144-148Mhz) which is all the Kenwood can do anyway. I'd argue if you only want to get into Ham radio for mobile communications then just take the Technicians exam. Probably would take ~10 hrs of studying. I used a book off amazon, but www.hamradiolicenseexam.com was very convient for my "extra" exam. The website keeps track of your status and predicts what you would score on the exam at your current status. There's no fee for license itself. You pass the exam, the FCC issues you a license for 10 years for $0. Every 10 years you can extend the license for another 10 years for $0. Ham radio tests usually run anywhere from $0 to $20. The ham radio community is also a very friendly community. Everyone wants to help. Help teach you. Help you build a rig. Everyone is very selfless. If you want to talk on HF to other countries then you'll need to get a "General" license. Finally the "Extra" license simply expands the frequency range in the HF band. I did all 3 exams. They weren't that bad. You can take as many exam levels as you want for the test fee. Also if you did fail, usually they'll let you take another exam. They really want you to pass.

If the studying and exams don't seem worth messing with then I suggest GMRS radio. I like the Midland MXT275 you can also see in the picture. Midland even has a 4" tall "Ghost" Antenna that works great and you can leave it up all the time because it's so short. The short antennas don't go as far in the horizontal direction but in places like the Arkansas Ozarks that are hilly the shorter antenna actually works better. GMRS license is $70 for 10 years. Just logon to FCC website and within minutes you'll be licensed and have a callsign. One benefit to GMRS over Ham is that your entire family can use your license!!! GMRS channels also overlap with FRS (the non license cheap handheld walkie talkies) so keep a couple handhelds with you and hand them out to family members or friends when using. GMRS also allows access to repeaters like Ham radio does, but not nearly as many. This greatly increases your range.

Even if I convince you to get your Ham license, I still recommend getting a GMRS radio. They are very inexpensive. Wait for Midland to do a 20-25% off sale. Sign up for their email alerts.

Power Difference:
Kenwood TM-D710GA Ham Radio is 50 watts (Ham is 1500 watts max)
GMRS Midland MXT275 is 15 watts (GMRS is 50 watts max)
CB is 5 watts max

Feel free to PM me with questions or ask in this thread. I'm here to help........ Helping is an addiction.

PHOTO_20200623_131339[1].jpg

Last edited:

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Glad you posted this. I've wondered the same and always get the "depends on your group" response. Well, I don't have a group. haha.

Not really sure how to answer for myself.... I currently have a HAM ( Baofeng UV-5R ) that I programmed to only FRS and GMRS channels and listen only on weather channels. No I don't have a ham license. Will I get one... don't know. Do i know you're not supposed to broadcast on FRS and GMRS... yes. In listening on those channels for 2 months, I've heard zero activity. I would assume alone on a trail I would have less activity.

At least this way I have a method of coms and have 2 radios in case I get separated from my wife. I'd like to add a CB at some point.

OP
OP
Griff71

Griff71

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLUR
Glad you posted this. I've wondered the same and always get the "depends on your group" response. Well, I don't have a group. haha.

Not really sure how to answer for myself.... I currently have a HAM ( Baofeng UV-5R ) that I programmed to only FRS and GMRS channels and listen only on weather channels. No I don't have a ham license. Will I get one... don't know. Do i know you're not supposed to broadcast on FRS and GMRS... yes. In listening on those channels for 2 months, I've heard zero activity. I would assume alone on a trail I would have less activity.

At least this way I have a method of coms and have 2 radios in case I get separated from my wife. I'd like to add a CB at some point.
The challenge with Baofeng and really any "Rubber Ducky" stock antenna is that they do not transmit or receive very well. Had to upgrade mine to a Nagoya NA-771 and I am getting more traffic (though my home is in a bad spot).

The licensing for HAM is fairly easy and HamStudy.org (free) provides a great resource for taking practice tests to prepare you to get your license.

It does appear that most people are carrying multiple devices in their rigs for communication.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Griff71

Griff71

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLUR
I also plan to use this radio to allow friends/family to track my GPS location in case I have problems. This function is called APRS or Automatic Packet Reporting System.
I am really starting to look into APRS as well. As it is like a beacon that can show friends and family where you are in case you run into issues. Also if you do run into issues it can share your exact coordinates to get help to you as fast as possible.

Your friends and family can see your location leveraging the APRS site too, https://aprs.fi
Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 9.22.55 AM

Though wish I knew this before I bought my radio, at least it was cheap:
Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? IMG_8681

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I am really starting to look into APRS as well. As it is like a beacon that can show friends and family where you are in case you run into issues. Also if you do run into issues it can share your exact coordinates to get help to you as fast as possible.

Your friends and family can see your location leveraging the APRS site too, https://aprs.fi
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 9.22.55 AM.png

Though wish I knew this before I bought my radio, at least it was cheap:
IMG_8681.jpeg
That's interesting. Never heard of it. I have been running a Garmin/Delorme InReach which allows for messages and location via satellite, as well as emergency rescue services. It runs about 30 bucks for a decent package for a month and I think 14 bucks or so per year for $100,000 in insurance that covers the bills for resources to get you out. I just activate it when I take a big trip.

The InReach sends your location to a map like APRS so that friends and family or whomever you give the website/password to can follow you. It updates your location as often as every 10 minutes, and it is very precise.

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
That's interesting. Never heard of it. I have been running a Garmin/Delorme InReach which allows for messages and location via satellite, as well as emergency rescue services. It runs about 30 bucks for a decent package for a month and I think 14 bucks or so per year for $100,000 in insurance that covers the bills for resources to get you out. I just activate it when I take a big trip.

The InReach sends your location to a map like APRS so that friends and family or whomever you give the website/password to can follow you. It updates your location as often as every 10 minutes, and it is very precise.

APRS can also be used to send short messages. The "P" use to stand for position I believe back when only position was sent out. Well if you can send coordinates why can't you send other small "packets" of information......hence Automatic Packet Reporting System.

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
I'm currently using the Yaesu FT-8900 but would like to move to the new Yaesu FTM-300. Just wondering if I can get the control head to fit in the same location.

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? IMG_2121.JPG

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
APRS can also be used to send short messages. The "P" use to stand for position I believe back when only position was sent out. Well if you can send coordinates why can't you send other small "packets" of information......hence Automatic Packet Reporting System.
So it is it a HAM related deal or a separate device?
Sponsored