Sponsored

HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup?

What is your off-road comms setup?

• HAM

• CB

• FRS

• GMRS

Results are only viewable after voting.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Cooltech, regards your kits.

I have your CB tailgate bracket and the Firestik antenna I bought from you but have yet to install.

I've decided I'll install GMRS before we head west again but the 17' coax that seems to come with every antenna would be almost twice what you'd likely need for a hood/fender or cowl mount antenna base. Any reason the cable can't be shorter?
I'm not Cooltech, but for UHF, shorter is better. Actually most of the time shorter is better as you have cable loss that accumulates with length, but loss at 460MHz is much greater than at 27MHz so with CB the length is less of an issue.

One area this changes is with certain HF antennas where the coax ends up functioning as a counterpoise. In that case you need the full length but that is typically for a base installation.
Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I'm not Cooltech, but for UHF, shorter is better. Actually most of the time shorter is better as you have cable loss that accumulates with length, but loss at 460MHz is much greater than at 27MHz so with CB the length is less of an issue.

One area this changes is with certain HF antennas where the coax ends up functioning as a counterpoise. In that case you need the full length but that is typically for a base installation.
I am not @CoolTech either, but I am sure its for flexibility. My GMRS radio is on the 3rd brake light and I would need the extra cable.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Yes, exactly as Steven has said. The key word here is "continuous". They don't want you to play an ebook, political message, etc - essentially you cannot make GMRS your personal radio station. Conversations are fine and the intended purpose of GMRS.

Full transparency here... we will be launching an entire JL-oriented set of GMRS "solutions" within the next couple of days after having secured a partnership with Midland Radios.
ā€solutionsā€ up on the website yet? Iā€™m looking for solutions now and always start with you guys.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
a question for the GMRS gods:

I am looking at midland units and I would prefer NOT to have a GMRS unit/mic/antenna (The ā€œMicroMobileā€ series). I would prefer just a simple ā€˜walkie-talkieā€

midland has the GMRS/FRS X-Talker little walkie-talkies. That is more of what I want.

so, question: other than range (I know the little walkie-talkies get much less range at 2w of power vs the MicroMobile stuff at 15+ watts and also the X-talker does not have ā€œrepeaterā€ capability) are There functional differences? If somebody has some kind of GMRS radio mounted in their jeep and I am driving behind them 20ā€™ or something as long as I am tuned to the same channel with the X-Talker we can talk, right?

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
a question for the GMRS gods:

I am looking at midland units and I would prefer NOT to have a GMRS unit/mic/antenna (The ā€œMicroMobileā€ series). I would prefer just a simple ā€˜walkie-talkieā€

midland has the GMRS/FRS X-Talker little walkie-talkies. That is more of what I want.

so, question: other than range (I know the little walkie-talkies get much less range at 2w of power vs the MicroMobile stuff at 15+ watts and also the X-talker does not have ā€œrepeaterā€ capability) are There functional differences? If somebody has some kind of GMRS radio mounted in their jeep and I am driving behind them 20ā€™ or something as long as I am tuned to the same channel with the X-Talker we can talk, right?
what limits a handheld more so is the antenna rather than the power (though more power does help - but eats more battery). That said, short line-of-sight should be no problem for the X-talker. Also channels are channels so channel one on one GMRS is the same as channel one on another radio. Where things deviate is with ā€œprivacy codesā€ (which are essentially filters on receive) and repeater capabilities. The other difference is that the higher power mobiles donā€™t have the FRS channels 8-14 (at least my mxt275 doesnā€™t). So with that radio I couldnā€™t talk to a handheld if they were on those channels, instead have to use 1-7, 15-22.

i have a pair of Midland GXT1030s showing up next week, will be able to have some first-hand benchmarks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
what limits a handheld is the antenna rather than the power. That said, short line-of-sight should be no problem for the X-talker. Also channels are channels so channel one on one GMRS is the same as channel one on another radio. Where things deviate is with ā€œprivacy codesā€ (which are essentially filters on receive) and repeater capabilities. The other difference is that the higher power mobiles donā€™t have the FRS channels 8-14 (at least my mxt275 doesnā€™t). So with that radio I couldnā€™t talk to a handheld if they were on those channels, instead have to use 1-7, 15-22.

i have a pair of Midland GXT1030s showing up next week, will be able to have some first-hand benchmarks.
Thank you for this post. VERY helpful. Let me know how you like the GXT1030ā€™s. i think that I am leaning towards the T71VP3 X-Talker series. I am thinking that they should work ā€œfineā€œ in the typical scenario of ā€œbeing out with a few friends on the trail and being able to shout...ā€™moose on the left near the stream at 11 oā€™clockā€™.....ā€.

if I ever make a journey from Denver to Anchorage, I would likely put a more powerful (antenna-system) in the vehicle for safety considerations. But, until then, the handhelds might be just the ticket for me. Please let me know how you like the units that you ordered.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Thank you for this post. VERY helpful. Let me know how you like the GXT1030ā€™s. i think that I am leaning towards the T71VP3 X-Talker series. I am thinking that they should work ā€œfineā€œ in the typical scenario of ā€œbeing out with a few friends on the trail and being able to shout...ā€™moose on the left near the stream at 11 oā€™clockā€™.....ā€.

if I ever make a journey from Denver to Anchorage, I would likely put a more powerful (antenna-system) in the vehicle for safety considerations. But, until then, the handhelds might be just the ticket for me. Please let me know how you like the units that you ordered.
Will post once I get them and do some testing. For the ā€œcouple of vehicles on the trailā€ use case I think theyā€™re ideal. Where I wouldnā€™t trust them is when out in the boonies and depending on getting help from a station miles away. RF is funny though - this morning I was on a local 440 repeater (about 30 miles from me) and was talking with a station who was going into the same hilltop from 220 miles out. He said he was reading S0 (essentially no signal on the meter) but he had full copy on me. I also talked with a few stations in Kansas today but that was on 20 meters and is a whole different beast.

Cell coverage is pretty good most places, but Iā€™ve still found plenty of no-bars locations. Sat is the most predictable/reliable, but radio is more fun, at least to me.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Will post once I get them and do some testing. For the ā€œcouple of vehicles on the trailā€ use case I think theyā€™re ideal. Where I wouldnā€™t trust them is when out in the boonies and depending on getting help from a station miles away. RF is funny though - this morning I was on a local 440 repeater (about 30 miles from me) and was talking with a station who was going into the same hilltop from 220 miles out. He said he was reading S0 (essentially no signal on the meter) but he had full copy on me. I also talked with a few stations in Kansas today but that was on 20 meters and is a whole different beast.

Cell coverage is pretty good most places, but Iā€™ve still found plenty of no-bars locations. Sat is the most predictable/reliable, but radio is more fun, at least to me.
We were just up in the Colorado mountains...... zero bars on cellular.
I subscribe to Garmin inReach so if ever a real emergency, I could get help.
I want GMRS is just to talk with the same group.

thanks for the help. I owe you one.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
The T71VP3 will serve the purpose that you mentioned. However, it is an FRS radio (restricted to low power). In contrast, the GXT1000 series radios are true GMRS and can transmit up to 5 watts. Despite the marketing hype, the range will be better with the GXT1000's. They have higher transmit power (except for channels 8-14 which are lower power by rule), they have a slightly better antenna, and they have 4 batteries (4.8-6.0v) versus the 3 batteries (3.6-4.5v) in the T71 series. They are a little "bulkier" than the T71, but in my opinion they are still the best of the Midland handhelds. For these reasons, it the only handheld that we stock.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
ā€solutionsā€ up on the website yet? Iā€™m looking for solutions now and always start with you guys.
Yes, our GMRS solutions are up on the website. In particular, we have an antenna package solution - combining our mount, Midland coax, and 6db Antenna all together. In addition, we have this antenna solution combined with the MXT-275 and our mic mount for a complete, all-in-one solution.

We also have a simple kit that let's you use your existing Cool Tech JL CB bracket and mount the Midland 6db GMRS antenna to it.... so no need to re-purchase the antenna mount bracket.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The T71VP3 will serve the purpose that you mentioned. However, it is an FRS radio (restricted to low power). In contrast, the GXT1000 series radios are true GMRS and can transmit up to 5 watts. Despite the marketing hype, the range will be better with the GXT1000's. They have higher transmit power (except for channels 8-14 which are lower power by rule), they have a slightly better antenna, and they have 4 batteries (4.8-6.0v) versus the 3 batteries (3.6-4.5v) in the T71 series. They are a little "bulkier" than the T71, but in my opinion they are still the best of the Midland handhelds. For these reasons, it the only handheld that we stock.
This is why I like you folks for this type of equipment. You arenā€™t just selling product but also know radio stuff cold.

one follow on question: the GXT1000ā€™s at 5 watts require the GMRS license, correct? Itā€™s not a bother at $70 for 10-years but I did want to check.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
This is why I like you folks for this type of equipment. You arenā€™t just selling product but also know radio stuff cold.

one follow on question: the GXT1000ā€™s at 5 watts require the GMRS license, correct? Itā€™s not a bother at $70 for 10-years but I did want to check.
Yes, they don't say it on the package but it's right up front in the manual that a licence is required. I got mine...WRJD412

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Yes, they don't say it on the package but it's right up front in the manual that a licence is required. I got mine...WRJD412
Yes, thanks. I did read the online Manual after I posted. (Should have read it first). Interesting though, midland also says that these units are 2.8 watts not 5.

84CB8EA8-A489-46E1-8E53-4C729A491E4F.png

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
JimLee is absolutely correct. Conceivably, you could set these handhelds to low-power mode and be in compliance with FRS rules but the whole idea of getting these radios is the added power of GMRS. GMRS Liscense: $70. A 2-step on-line application process and good for 10-years and covers immediate family. Hardly a nuisance.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Admittedly, as noted previously by others, the real limitation of handhelds is going to be their antenna. For trail guidance or caravaning within a mile or so of each other, these radios will really work great. When/if more distance is needed, the mobile units with superior antennas and more power can increase range significantly.
Sponsored