Sponsored

HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup?

What is your off-road comms setup?

• HAM

• CB

• FRS

• GMRS

Results are only viewable after voting.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
So it is it a HAM related deal or a separate device?
Yes, and sometimes yes... lol

The information "Packets" are transmitted over a Ham radio frequency. However, in order for the packets to be able to share your location, your radio has to know where you are. Depending on the rig, some have built in GPS, and some have provisions to hook up an external GPS.

The Kenwood rig that I have has its own built in GPS, but it also has a spot to plug in an external GPS. I'm guessing it's to provide flexibility in case your mounting location doesn't allow your control panel to get a good GPS signal.

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? image
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

The information "Packets" are transmitted over a Ham radio frequency. However, in order for the packets to be able to share your location, your radio has to know where you are. Depending on the rig, some have built in GPS, and some have provisions to hook up an external GPS.

The Kenwood rig that I have has its own built in GPS, but it also has a spot to plug in an external GPS. I'm guessing it's to provide flexibility in case your mounting location doesn't allow your control panel to get a good GPS signal.
Thanks! Sounds fascinating!

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
So it is it a HAM related deal or a separate device?
You just have to get an APRS ready radio like the kenwood tm-d710ga. Basically an APRS radio will have GPS built in.

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I've got an Icom ID-5100 in my Jeep. The thing I like most about it is the "Near Repeater" function. When you program the radio, you put the locations of the repeaters in there too. It also has GPS so you can have it look up a list of your nearest repeaters any time you want.

TCS1666

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GMC Sierra Denali - 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 (ordered) - 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (sold)
I've got an Icom ID-5100 in my Jeep. The thing I like most about it is the "Near Repeater" function. When you program the radio, you put the locations of the repeaters in there too. It also has GPS so you can have it look up a list of your nearest repeaters any time you want.
I was just looking at this radio last night and thinking it may be at the top of my list. Good to hear other Jeepers with it installed and like it.

Sponsored

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I was just looking at this radio last night and thinking it may be at the top of my list. Good to hear other Jeepers with it installed and like it.
Programming it is super easy too. The link below will take your location and make you a file that will fill up the memories with all the repeaters closest to you. Programming is done on an SD card with free software, so no cables to buy. Probably the easiest radio I've ever had for programming and using.
http://www.dstarinfo.com/RepeaterDownloads.aspx

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
APRS was invented as a situational awareness tool, not just position though that is what most users use it for. It can do other things as well, such as send direct messages to other APRS users, send SMS text message to a cell phone, send short email, get a weather report for your area or an area you are travelling to. Users can also drop pins for important info that hams may find useful such as repeater info (frequency, tone, offset), hospital/police/fire station locations, hamfest locations, club meeting locations, field day locations, hydration stations for bike/running events, etc... anything that may be of value to the local ham community.
This is not a 100% reliable tool as the infrastructure is provided by hams and there are less digital repeaters (digipeater) and internet gateways (igate) than there are normal voice repeaters and there are places that are pretty void of coverage though that doesn't mean APRS isn't useful in those areas it just means your data won't reach the internet. If you were travelling in a group with more than one APRS radio you could still see where the other was and see where each of you had been, etc.
In addition to terrestrial digipeaters there are also a few satellites including the International Space Station that have digipeaters on board. So even if there aren't local digipeaters, you could try to get a packet out via a satellite....easier if you know when they will be flying over.
I have sent text messages from the ham radio in my Jeep to my wife's cell phone via the ISS... mainly just to prove that I could in case I needed to.

A radio with APRS built in is often easier to the average user, especially where options for mounting a radio are few. I put my ham radio setup together over time so I ended up with a dual band radio for voice and a separate 2m radio for APRS. A radio does not have to have APRS built in to be used for APRS. There are additional hardware you can purchase called TNC (Terminal Node Controllers) that allow you to use almost any radio for APRS.

A tablet can also be used in conjunction with an APRS radio to see the other stations info and location on a map.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
To answer the original question...
I have all 3, ham, GMRS/FRS, and CB in that order of preference.
Ham radio for it's capabilities...and that I am a ham hobbyist.
GMRS because it is slowly gaining popularity (Jeep Jamboree has transitioned to GMRS) and it allows my wife and I to talk since we have to take 2 vehicles to go camping. Cities may also have GMRS repeaters which will extend your range. The local GMRS repeater here has at least a 60 mile range. GMRS also works with FRS handhelds so if someone didn't have a radio or weren't licensed or was out of their rig spotting you could throw them a FRS handheld.
CB because there are still groups that love their 70s technology....or don't want to jack with the licensing. In areas with active logging operations CB may be useful to know where the logging trucks are so you can get out of their way.

Sponsored

gijohn56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
I have a Yaesu ftm-100 that does aprs in my jeep along with a Stryker sr-94hpc (cb/ham) to use for cb. I lead trails in Moab for easter jeep safari so I have to have the cb but more and more are going the ham radio route. GMRS/FRS is starting to pick up steam with people refusing to pay for the license but still use it.

APRS is a fun little tool. I use APRSdroid on my android cell which sends info to a mobilinkd TNC hooked to a cheap chinese radio (like a buefung) in my VW Passat with a magnetic mount antenna. There is a website that shows how to make a digipeter/igate out of a cheap raspberry PI and a software defined radio USB. Look up direwolf.

Jef

First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? image
I dig the setup. What is that rocker panel called and where did you get it?

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I dig the setup. What is that rocker panel called and where did you get it?
It’s the Voswitch panel. Comes with 8 SPST switches and the two Ram balls on the panel. I did a little customizing adding the USBs and making it work for my winch controls. Switch relay/fuse box mounts under the hood. Really puts my Ham control panel in a great spot and the ball mount allows infinite adjustment.

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? AE21D826-FB04-4A22-A179-D6B8DFF08AB5

Putting the ball mount on the Ham control panel was kind of a custom creation too. Couldn’t find any info anywhere on adapting the Kenwood to work with a Ram mount. Bought a few different mount plates, a variety of screws and spacers, and figured out a slick way to make it work.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I might add too (regarding my overall setup) that my mic is on the move and I’m working on panel mounting a pair of external speakers on my roll bar. I’ll post up some pics of the results soon if it works out. Otherwise, I’ll be buying a new trim panel for my roll bar! Lol

Update 7/19, made the speakers work!

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? 546EB108-DCBE-4C85-9E83-55C60403F41D

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? 0BF2A5B4-0EF4-4E56-80E5-A33E44FE56DE

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? D9ACFB2A-8045-477F-9D92-A40E058F8BBD

Last edited:
OP
OP
Griff71

Griff71

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLUR
Well I decided to upgrade and I am much happier with my FT3D over the Baofeng (still keeping it). Will probably end up getting mobile unit, deciding between FTM400 or FTM300.
Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? B32D3921-3E74-4B85-8E58-88C020CE488C
Sponsored