Sponsored

HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup?

What is your off-road comms setup?

• HAM

• CB

• FRS

• GMRS

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR
They are the RoadPro RPSP-15 speaker. They look identical to the now discontinued Kenwood KES-3 speakers which is what got me looking at them in the first place. I'm guessing they're made by the same manufacturer as you can find these speakers with a few different brand's logos on them. Turns out they have excellent reviews, both on Amazon, and on a number of CB/Ham related forums (especially for a $16 speaker).

When you remove the grilles from the original enclosures, you'll see they have the threaded bosses for the 4 mounting screws. You just need to drill a matching pattern in your trim panel and screw it on. You'll notice I put washers under the screw heads. This keeps the speaker itself in place as the original enclosure handles that duty on an unmodified speaker. I really don't think you could find a better speaker to shoehorn into this spot, and you definitely can't go any bigger without making a custom bezel for the grill. Be warned... while the driver side is a piece of cake to install, the passenger side takes some very careful planning as there is a wiring harness that takes up most of the real estate where the speaker magnet needs to go.

578A4B40-C9EC-4952-A3BE-64A8B3EE1D3D.jpeg
Bringing this one back from the dead…

After seeing your post and the clean results you achieved, I was inspired to the same. I picked up a pair of the speakers from Amazon. I pulled off the trim piece today and started thinking through placement. Then I paused after looking at the speakers and how they will need to sandwich between the speaker cover and the overhead trim piece.

The rim that goes around of the speaker that gets sandwiched between the speaker grill and the overhead trim piece is only about 1/8 wide.I can see if the hole is cut even just a small bit too big, the speaker will just fall through.

Your install came out great, do you have suggestions to share about how you got those hoes just right?

(For those that are not familiar with these speakers, I have attached a picture showing the speaker rim)

IMG_0672.jpeg
Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Not sure if you saw my other post in this thread, but I ended up using some washers to hold the speakers in from the backside. You do have to cut very carefully though. If I recall, I think I got close with a hobby knife and then slowly opened it up with a sanding drum on my Dremel. Looks like I put a piece of wire around the perimeter of the speaker to help fill the space and snug up the fit as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? 1699390539781

My recollection is a little hazy as it’s been a long time now, but I will say the setup has been working flawlessly. :like:

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR
Not sure if you saw my other post in this thread, but I ended up using some washers to hold the speakers in from the backside. You do have to cut very carefully though. If I recall, I think I got close with a hobby knife and then slowly opened it up with a sanding drum on my Dremel. Looks like I put a piece of wire around the perimeter of the speaker to help fill the space and snug up the fit as well.

1699390539781.jpeg

My recollection is a little hazy as it’s been a long time now, but I will say the setup has been working flawlessly. :like:
@tonygiotta Thanks for steering me to the additional pictures. I like the way you combined the wires into a single Deutsch connector, very clean. I put them to good use this afternoon.

I didn’t finish up before the dinner bell rang… I still need to find the wire path across the soundbar and down the passenger b-pillar. Everywhere I probed with my fish line, I ran into a road block.

Do you remember what you did? Did you have to pull down the entire Soundbar?

rk911

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 2D, '10 Liberty, '46 Willys
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
I'm currently using the Yaesu FT-8900 but would like to move to the new Yaesu FTM-300. Just wondering if I can get the control head to fit in the same location.

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? 1699390539781
How did you secure the control head? I'm thinking of the same place for my Icom 2720 control head. Possibly Velcro? Don't want to permanently block the 4-wheel drive emegency release cable.

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
Hello Rich ... I no longer have the FT-8900. The radio I now use is the FTM-300 and it is mounted to an articulating arm from 67 Designs. This keeps the control head away from the shift area.

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? IMG_2754.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? IMG_2753.JPG

Sponsored

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
@tonygiotta Thanks for steering me to the additional pictures. I like the way you combined the wires into a single Deutsch connector, very clean. I put them to good use this afternoon.

I didn’t finish up before the dinner bell rang… I still need to find the wire path across the soundbar and down the passenger b-pillar. Everywhere I probed with my fish line, I ran into a road block.

Do you remember what you did? Did you have to pull down the entire Soundbar?
Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? 1699884507828

see bottom of photo: We pulled the sound bar and 'B' pillar trim pieces. The 'B' pillar wiring track does a 'S' curve in the middle—

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
see bottom of photo: We pulled the sound bar and 'B' pillar trim pieces. The 'B' pillar wiring track does a 'S' curve in the middle—
Glad you posted, I couldn’t remember. Don’t think I completely pulled the sound bar, but I’m pretty sure I pulled the B-pillar trim.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Love my BF-F8HP because I can use it for Ham, FRS, MURS, and GMRS. Even though it is a handheld, it can easily be configured as a vehicle-mounted mobile unit, and I've even paired it with a 50'-high ground plane antenna as a base station. Been amazed at what a $60 radio can do, but will eventually buy a Yaesu FT-3DR as well.

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? 1699884507828

Thank you for this, I hope the drivers side has a similar path since that is the side my radio is on…
Sponsored