Sponsored

Halogen to LED Tail Light Replacement 2021 Willys

lmendham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition
Hi everyone,
I have had my Willys for about 9 months and am going to begin modding and building it and the first mod I want to do is get rid of the Halogen Tail Lights and replace them with Mopar LEDs (https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/led-tail-light-wrangler-jl). Reading the Q and A on the Quadratec website it looks like I will have to go to my dealer and get a flash to get them to work. Has anyone gone through this process and if so is it easy?

Thank You
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hi everyone,
I have had my Willys for about 9 months and am going to begin modding and building it and the first mod I want to do is get rid of the Halogen Tail Lights and replace them with Mopar LEDs (https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/led-tail-light-wrangler-jl). Reading the Q and A on the Quadratec website it looks like I will have to go to my dealer and get a flash to get them to work. Has anyone gone through this process and if so is it easy?

Thank You
You will need to use JScan or a Taser to tell the jeep you're switching to LED. It's a voltage thing.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
You will need to use JScan or a Taser to tell the jeep you're switching to LED.

It's a voltage thing.
Interesting. Replacing my JLU's four OEM incandescent tail and reverse bulbs with Lasfit LED bulbs required no special accommodations. The latter provided plug-and-play functionality. As LEDs, they do indeed require significantly less voltage to function.

Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Interesting. Replacing my JLU's four OEM incandescent tail and reverse bulbs with Lasfit LED bulbs required no special accommodations. The latter provided plug-and-play functionality. As LEDs, they do indeed require significantly less voltage to function.
I believe the Lasfit bulbs have a chip, similar to Diode Dynamics, that act as a resistor and work to provide that plug-and-play functionality.

To the OP - if you go with the Mopar OEM taillights, as previously mentioned, your best bet would be purchasing the Taser, Superchips or JSCANand save yourself a trip to the dealer. Dealerships charge to flash, a programmer pays for itself the first time you use it.

Definitely talk to Benny from @AllMoparParts.com here on the forum. He’ll get you a better price on the OEM lights.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Ya, some of the better designed ones already have a voltage regulator in them as stated by following poster.

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
All or most of the good aftermarket lights front and rear have the resistors built in. And yes the programmer is worth it if you are going to change other parts too

Burntoutaccountant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
I thought the OEM lights were bolt in with no flashing required?

I literally just did this swap on my sport s 30 minutes ago and everything is working fine

Jeep Wrangler JL Halogen to LED Tail Light Replacement 2021 Willys 20211211_120318

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the OEM lights were bolt in with no flashing required?

I literally just did this swap on my sport s 30 minutes ago and everything is working fine

Jeep Wrangler JL Halogen to LED Tail Light Replacement 2021 Willys 20211211_120318
you may get bulb out warnings or hyper flashing at some point.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I believe the Lasfit bulbs have a chip, similar to Diode Dynamics, that act as a resistor and work to provide that plug-and-play functionality.
That sounds right. The Lasfits were bloody expensive. :)

tavani21

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Willys
I went with these. They're fantastic. I like that they are basically the same shape as the original Halogens, without the bump on the side. Total plug and play. So far, I've gotten what I paid for.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/raxiom-jeep-wrangler-led-tail-lights-j132754-jl.html

G.

You have the scrape on the side as well. I ordered a set and returned because of the scrape. They sent a new set...same scrape. Lights look great so I'll keep them but not sure why they can't make the lens perfect like every other light is

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I noticed it right away, and I think it's the mold mark. It's the reason we got two for half the price of one Mopar part. Other than that one blemish, I love em.
G.

OP
OP
lmendham

lmendham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition
I noticed it right away, and I think it's the mold mark. It's the reason we got two for half the price of one Mopar part. Other than that one blemish, I love em.
G.
I did end up going with these lights and think they look great and work great, thanks for the recommendation!

I do have the same defect issue but I can live with it, its not too bad.

Jeep Wrangler JL Halogen to LED Tail Light Replacement 2021 Willys Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 8.46.08 PM

tavani21

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Willys
I did end up going with these lights and think they look great and work great, thanks for the recommendation!

I do have the same defect issue but I can live with it, its not too bad.

Jeep Wrangler JL Halogen to LED Tail Light Replacement 2021 Willys Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 8.46.08 PM
I got the same one from ExtremeTerrain...I reviewed them and posted pictures mentioning the scrape on the side (definitely from production)...my pictures and review have not been posted yet and it has been a while. Figured I'd let others know before they buy them. They can decide if it will bother them before purchasing. I kept mine as well because not that big of a deal, although a bit annoying.
Sponsored