Halogen to LED questions I didn't find answers to elsewhere

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
If I missed the answers to these elsewhere in the forum, I apologize, just point me in the right direction.

I've been looking through various lighting threads while pondering a couple of lighting changes to try and make sure that if/when I do it, I don't have any surprises. I have a JLU Sport with standard halogen headlamps (tail/break lights are LED as part of the safety package, but nothing else is LED, at least that I am aware of). Reading through many, many posts, I know that often, depending on the brand, switching from halogen to LED requires flashing of the system, so that it realizes you have LEDs and you don't get flashing/flickering/error messages, or it requires an additional part to make the light(s) work. Some are plug and play that do not require a flash, and some are a little of both (Mopar headlights are plug and play, but the halos on them are not).

Specifically, I am considering adding the Oracle Sidetrack lights and considering switching to LED headlamps, preferably with halos.

My main question regarding the Sidetrack is; with the Sidetrack being LED, and my turn signals not, is there any issue with one or the other working properly when I splice the Sidetrack wiring into the turn signal wiring? Will I also need to switch to LED turn signals?

My question regarding switching my halogen headlights to LED involve the ones with halos. When I looked at the Mopar LED headlights (which appear to not be available anywhere anyway), the halos connect to the daytime running lights wiring, and require a flash even though the headlights do not. This was not obvious when researching the lights, but I found that in here. I assume many of the other brands with halos are similar. My Sport does not have daytime running lights. It appears from other posts that with a Tazer, I could get daytime running lights working on my Sport, but I'm not sure I would want to go that route. Is there any issue with simply connecting the halos to one of my aux switches instead?

And a secondary question on the headlights. Which ones that say they are plug and play have not really consistently been plug and play? What should I avoid?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
In regards to the sidetrack, connecting them to the turn signal should not be a problem, the additional draw of the LEDs is minimal.

As to the LED headlights I put Kiwi Masters in my wife’s Jeep and they work great. The halo is connected to an aux switch but others have connected them to fuse 57 (heated seats) without issue.

Gregj

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Also, consider using the the JScan app to make those changes, it is about $100 for everything you need and will make all of the changes regarding the LED lights.

Gregj
Sponsored