Halo Lights - which wire turns them on?

Gabe E.

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2006 TJ Rubicon
As many of you know the Halo Lights on the 2018 Rubicon with factory LED light package can't be turned off if the vehicle is running. This means you can't listen to the radio at night with the engine running with all exterior lights turned off.

This is perhaps the single strangest thing about the jeep with the other being the Auto Park. Now, I'm reading that Tazer and another after market programmer can allow you to switch off the Halo Lights. I'd rather not go down this road as I don't need the other features of these after market programmers.

I'd rather find the wire the turns supplies them with power and install a switch. Has anyone done this? Can you help me identify the correct wire?
Sponsored

donnyb313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Someone needs to inform these Jeep "engineers/programmers" that OFF means OFF. OFF does not mean "halo's on" :swear::no:

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Who listens to the radio at night with the engine running and all exterior lights off?

That's weird :bandit:

If anything, seems more like a stalker gripe.

OP
OP
Gabe E.

Gabe E.

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, So of coarse I'm trying to find a solution to be able to turn off the Halo lights and I'm considering everything including reaching out to two outstanding YouTube channels dedicated to the JL who did a video review of the TAZER JL programmer.

To both "JeepInformant" and "JL Journal" channels I asked "Does the Tazer have a feature to allow you to turn off the Halo lights while the engine is running? If not, do you know how this can be done?" Both responded and basically saying to ask Z Automotive the question so I did.

Of Z Automotive I asked these questions;
"While looking at settings for the Tazer JL I see “Disable Halo’s” under the lighting menu. Being able to shut off the Halo’s while running the Jeep’s motor would be a fantastic feature.

Could you please take a moment to help me understand this setting? What I’d like to know is how this setting works? Does it simply turn the Halo’s off or on while programming or does it add something to the settings in the 8.4” vehicle infotainment system for easy on/off control?"

This is what Allen of Z Automotive had to say;
"As of now it just allows you to delete them. To use them again you’d have to go in and re-enable them. I may add more control in future releases."

I want to thank JeepInformant, JL Journal and Z Automotive for their quick responses. For right now I think I will pass on the TAZER JL and instead look into identifying the wire that powers the Halo lights and use a switch to control them from inside my Jeep.

Has anyone positively identified which wire powers the Halo lights in a JLU with the factory LED lighting option?

Sponsored

JL-D5009

First Name
Khalil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU and Jeep JLU
OK, So of coarse I'm trying to find a solution to be able to turn off the Halo lights and I'm considering everything including reaching out to two outstanding YouTube channels dedicated to the JL who did a video review of the TAZER JL programmer.

To both "JeepInformant" and "JL Journal" channels I asked "Does the Tazer have a feature to allow you to turn off the Halo lights while the engine is running? If not, do you know how this can be done?" Both responded and basically saying to ask Z Automotive the question so I did.

Of Z Automotive I asked these questions;
"While looking at settings for the Tazer JL I see “Disable Halo’s” under the lighting menu. Being able to shut off the Halo’s while running the Jeep’s motor would be a fantastic feature.

Could you please take a moment to help me understand this setting? What I’d like to know is how this setting works? Does it simply turn the Halo’s off or on while programming or does it add something to the settings in the 8.4” vehicle infotainment system for easy on/off control?"

This is what Allen of Z Automotive had to say;
"As of now it just allows you to delete them. To use them again you’d have to go in and re-enable them. I may add more control in future releases."

I want to thank JeepInformant, JL Journal and Z Automotive for their quick responses. For right now I think I will pass on the TAZER JL and instead look into identifying the wire that powers the Halo lights and use a switch to control them from inside my Jeep.

Has anyone positively identified which wire powers the Halo lights in a JLU with the factory LED lighting option?
Well I'm in the opposite boat, as my JLU Rubicon comes with the Halo lights off with no option to turn them on. I am trying to have them switched on and purchased a JL Tazer and still couldn't get them activated. Our JLs that come are the middle east version. So I have now found out that I have a wire missing behind the headlight housing and cant figure out which one is it as I have nothing it to compare it with. (Picture attached)

I am guessing that this might help you know what wire it is and help me with my missing wire. Let me know if you want me to take more pictures of anything else to exchange to help get the answer for us both.

Screenshot_20180827-190605_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Gabe E.

Gabe E.

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the jeep out in the mountains looking for wild blueberries today. I’ll try to dig int my wiring harness this weekend and post pictures of what I find.

JL-D5009

First Name
Khalil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU and Jeep JLU
These are my headlights on my JLU Rubicon..
I got the jeep out in the mountains looking for wild blueberries today. I’ll try to dig int my wiring harness this weekend and post pictures of what I find.

Let me know how I can help in wiring comparison.

crothrock2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Hey guys - same problems here on a Sahara. Just picked up a set of LED headlights (off another member) and went to install and found the 3 wire plug. No Halo nor no hi/lo @ same time when on hi. I also have a Superchip programmer and set Halo to on with zero luck. Looks like it definitely has something to do with wiring and harness. Has anyone found a fix?

Sponsored

GraniteJLU

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hey guys - same problems here on a Sahara. Just picked up a set of LED headlights (off another member) and went to install and found the 3 wire plug. No Halo nor no hi/lo @ same time when on hi. I also have a Superchip programmer and set Halo to on with zero luck. Looks like it definitely has something to do with wiring and harness. Has anyone found a fix?
I have the same problem as you, think it is the wiring harness as well.

JL-D5009

First Name
Khalil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU and Jeep JLU
I have the JL Tazer and enabling the Halo does nothing. The wiring harness is the issue which I am trying to trace to wire it up. Unfortunately I cant find any pictures of the missing wire or diagram.

uae247

First Name
SAF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Hello

Just wanted to bring this thread alive again.

I am also based in the Middle East, Abu Dhabi-UAE.

The Halo's here do not work, even with the Tazer.

Hope someone could find a way to make them work cause they look cool.

JL-D5009

First Name
Khalil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU and Jeep JLU
Well my problem is just trying to find the time and figure out the missing wire that's not connected.

The tazer allows activation through the system which is not our problem. Our problem is the halo is not connected from the harness. So we have 2 options.

Option 1: Hot wire the halo to run with the DLRs on the fenders, but we need to know which socket.

Option 2: Pick up a new wire harness and remove ours and plug it in and then activate it halo using the tazer.(Harness Part number is required but unfortunately it's not in the parts anymore and is on backorder).

I have tried to search for someone who has the halo active to see which wire is missing from ours as we only have 3 wires connected to the headlight.

Jbaile29

First Name
Joahua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Well my problem is just trying to find the time and figure out the missing wire that's not connected.

The tazer allows activation through the system which is not our problem. Our problem is the halo is not connected from the harness. So we have 2 options.

Option 1: Hot wire the halo to run with the DLRs on the fenders, but we need to know which socket.

Option 2: Pick up a new wire harness and remove ours and plug it in and then activate it halo using the tazer.(Harness Part number is required but unfortunately it's not in the parts anymore and is on backorder).

I have tried to search for someone who has the halo active to see which wire is missing from ours as we only have 3 wires connected to the headlight.
I got somebody that specialize in lights to get the halo to work and the headlights had the dealer flash to led but occasionally the headlight flickers ans even goes out you heard of this issue before?
Sponsored